Any chance we can book sting ray city tour when we arrive in Cayman?

jedi mom

We have contacted Capt. Bryan to book an excursion on one of his Catamarans, March 20, so far he only has our 6 people in the party and won't go out with only 6. Anybody know if we have a chance of booking an excursion on a catarmaran when we arrive? My ,gets very sea sick on small boats, son won't go on a small boat or sail boat. We were told Cats are the way to go.:confused:

We have contacted Capt. Bryan to book an excursion on one of his Catamarans, March 20, so far he only has our 6 people in the party and won't go out with only 6. Anybody know if we have a chance of booking an excursion on a catarmaran when we arrive? My ,gets very sea sick on small boats, son won't go on a small boat or sail boat. We were told Cats are the way to go.:confused:

Hi!

On our 12/10 Panama Canal cruise aboard the Coral Princess, all the snorkel and scuba tours (for all four ships in port!) were cancelled due to rough seas. That dumped everyone in port. My girlfriend was visiting with someone from the Oosterdam while waiting for the tender and they had booked with a company right on the dock (had a great time).

Not convinced Cats are the only way to go, and a number of the boats aren't "small" but aren't cruise ship size, but there are other catamaran trips, but may cost more.

Red sail has:

http://www.redsailcayman.com/gc_cruise.html

There is the Cockatoo, but I think they are under contract to cruise ships.

Captain Dexter has/had? a catamaran.

http://www.dexters-fantaseatours.com/

Not sure if anyone has posted on him since Ivan, but the website is still there.

There must be others.

We are prebooked for this tour in March, can you tell us what to expect...boat size, etc. Thanks!

These guys were great! We ended up with a group of 12, all of whom booked at the pier. The boat was a great size, holds about 40 or so people. There was a fresh water shower, restroom, and the most delicious punch I've ever had. On the way out to the sandbar, Mark started out by giving us a little history about the stingrays. He has a stuffed stingray he uses to demonstrate how to feed, hold, etc., the stingrays. When we got out there, both him and the captain (I can't remember his name, but he had shoulder length curly hair) got out in the water with us and helped us interact with the stingrays. They were great! When we went to coral gardens for snorkeling, the captain was great swimming around and showing us all the different fish out there; if we wanted to. Some just swam around on their own, others stayed on the boat. On the way back, we just enjoyed the sun and chatted with Mark. He's got a lot of interesting stories to tell!

I've got pictures from the trip at the link in my signature. Can't wait to hear about your trip when you get back! When you see Mark, tell him Meredith says hello and we can't wait to see him in April. :)

This original post had a date during Spring Break (and mine is, too.) Does that change the advice about the availability of booking at the pier? I just expect crowds everywhere, but it's the only time we can go. Call it low expectations, but if things aren't crowded I'll be extra pleased.

Look at it this way. The ships only hold so many people, and you could check and see how many ships are in port with you that same day. I can't be sure but I think Grand Cayman still limits the amount of ships it takes each day to about 4.

When we were in town on the Grand in December, we were in port with the VoyagerOTS and I believe the Inspiration. We still only had 12 people on the boat with Moby Dick tours.

Here, just enter the dates of your cruise and you'll see what ship will be in each port with you and their times: http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/

The more the merrier in my opinion, but it's nice having a smaller more personalized tour. Especially if you know most of the people onboard already!

LES!

Archived