Scuba Girl, jitney question

ninjasquash

Hiya scuba girl, this is my 3rd time to Nassau and am thinking about taking the jitney out to the zoo. I have read to take the #10 to the zoo and the #1 to get to Potters Cay. My question is are there #'s 2-9 jitneys? I haven't been able to find info on other buses and where they might go. Is there a jitney that goes all the way around the island on the perimeter road? I love to see new places from the road, tongue hanging out, ears flapping in the breeze! Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Hiya scuba girl, this is my 3rd time to Nassau and am thinking about taking the jitney out to the zoo. I have read to take the #10 to the zoo and the #1 to get to Potters Cay. My question is are there #'s 2-9 jitneys? I haven't been able to find info on other buses and where they might go. Is there a jitney that goes all the way around the island on the perimeter road? I love to see new places from the road, tongue hanging out, ears flapping in the breeze! Any info is greatly appreciated!!

There are quite a few jitneys. ALL are independently owned and operated so they have their own schedules and sometimes stop where they want (to pick up friends or family etc). There are none that I know of that run the perimeter of the islands, and there are some that go to places that I wouldn't want to be.

I think the western transportation bus might be a nice ride (no number, it just says western transportation).

Make sure you ask your driver if he is doing the loop. He may be going home, going to lunch, picking up his kids or whatnot, so don't assume that he's doing the returning loop.

If you are doing the loop, you should pay double. Western Transport is $2 ea way (that's a $4 pp). Some of the longer trips are $2 and $2.50.. which should be doubled if you are going r/t.

There are no maps, set schedules or set rules to the jitneys.

Nassau is not that safe anymore, there are quite a few areas that you shouldn't be traveling thru, or getting off for a meal. even the locals are careful where they go.

Does the western transportation bus pick up in the same location as the #10?

I live in Florida and understand the tourist versus local attitudes. I have found that good manners and a little humor go a long way in getting along. So, do the locals there put up with us tourists as long as we mind our P's & Q's, like in riding their public transportation? Are the buses generally safe, just not certain areas , just like it is in central Florida?

I appreciate you looking out for us scuba girl!!!

Does the western transportation bus pick up in the same location as the #10?

I live in Florida and understand the tourist versus local attitudes. I have found that good manners and a little humor go a long way in getting along. So, do the locals there put up with us tourists as long as we mind our P's & Q's, like in riding their public transportation? Are the buses generally safe, just not certain areas , just like it is in central Florida?

I appreciate you looking out for us scuba girl!!!

You're on target. I just wouldn't consider getting off the bus in an area that is unfamilier. A block in one direction or the other can be a BAD mistake. We are experiencing some very bad crime sprees. I just don't feel that I could recommend moving around the island without knowing where you are heading.

Western Transport is a nice ride thru a variety of areas, .. you can even stop at Travelers Rest for Lunch and be safe.

Thanks so much scuba girl. Sorry to hear that home is not as safe as it use to be, sighhhh, that's happening all over. Thank goodness there are lots of wonderful people out there to balance out the stinkers. Happy scuba ing, may the deep blue always be welcoming to you!

Archived