Restaurants Montreal & Quebec

LVSue

As 1 bred and born in Montreal, I can state that Montreal Cabbies (Not all but a lot!) have a tradition of taking the long way around! I remember in the early 80's there was a Major Prize fight in town, and I read in the paper later what some poor tourist had been charged from the airport to downtown, I think the Cabbie must have been able to drive 1/2 way to Vancouver!:eek: I worked at the QE in those days and 1 stormy winters night I decided to take a Cab home, it was late I was tired and so a quick ride home looked good. The Cabbie started to take me a long way home, but I told him in good east end Joual what the fare, total with tip was and anything over would be out of his pocket! He was miserable, poor guy thought he had a Tourist in the back seat!:p:D

We spent the day in Montreal today (in the rain!) & had lunch in L'Express, a bistro on Rue St. Denis, in the Plateau Mont-Royal area of the city. It comes highly recommended, was interesting & quite good, although the portions were small.

OK, you have me worried now. So, how much should a taxi cost from Dorval Airport (or Pierre Trudeau or whatever it is currently called) to the Vieux Port (if that is the correct gender)? I will climb into a taxi, brandishing my map & spluttering broken French, to the general effect that I have just driven this route to return my rental car. Pre-armed with the knowledge of how much the journey should cost, this Scotsman does not intend to fall for any Montreal cabbie's tricks. My eyes will be glued to the route! :cool: :)

The taxi from the airport to downtown Montreal is $38 fixed. They can take me on a drive to see Vancouver on the way, but they are still getting just $38. I've gone out to greet guests and caught taxi drivers trying to ask for more.... heck, I've had taxi drivers throw money at me just to stop cursing them out for trying to take advantage of my guests. (Last time, the guest got a $10 discount on the fare because the driver just didn't want to deal with me and the possible loss of his licence to drive from the airport.

I've been to L'Express once. It's a French bistro. Which means plain French everyday food. Nothing awe inspiring for me. But then again, I'm a Montrealers. Good plain food at a higher than normal price... the risotto was undercooked but nicely spiced. But nothing spectacular, truly.

Want to try something really great in Montreal? How about Pintxo for Basque tapas, Mas Cuisine for Quebec/French, Schwartz's for smoked meat, Kouign Amann for... Kouign Amann, Stash for Polish, Olive+Gourmando for a sandwich, Biere&Cie for mussels, Kam Fung for Dim Sum, etc etc etc.

Want to try something really great in Montreal? How about Pintxo for Basque tapas, Mas Cuisine for Quebec/French, Schwartz's for smoked meat, Kouign Amann for... Kouign Amann, Stash for Polish, Olive+Gourmando for a sandwich, Biere&Cie for mussels, Kam Fung for Dim Sum, etc etc etc.

Yes! But next time. Our time here is running out. We have enjoyed our visit & would like to return in the future.

Thanks for the taxi info.

Graham.

Ephraim wrote "The taxi from the airport to downtown Montreal is $38 fixed. They can take me on a drive to see Vancouver on the way, but they are still getting just $38. I've gone out to greet guests and caught taxi drivers trying to ask for more.... heck, I've had taxi drivers throw money at me just to stop cursing them out for trying to take advantage of my guests. (Last time, the guest got a $10 discount on the fare because the driver just didn't want to deal with me and the possible loss of his licence to drive from the airport."

Why Ephraim, the poor Cabbies were just trying to live up to the fine(?) traditions of all Montreal Cabbies, why did you want to spoil that tradition?:D:p Again like my journey they must have been really upset when it hit them that their passenger was a local and not a Tourist!:eek::D

• 2 months later...

Taxi drivers in Montreal may have a reason for taking the "tourist detour":

Recently five doormen at a Montreal hotel mentioned in previous threads were arrested and charged with extorting a fee for loading passengers at this hotel. Cabbies (now emboldened) say the practice is not limited to this particular establishment by any stretch of the imagination....

If you want to try unique local establishments in a simpler vein, and won't clobber your wallet:

-Schwartz's Deli (Chartcuterie Hebraiique de Montreal) or Lester's Deli for Montreal smoked meat sandwiches (local Jews are fiercely loyal to one or the other... I happen to like both)

-St-Hubert Restaurants for BBQ chicken done in a unique way and not expensive

-Ditto for Chalet BBQ (chicken often copied, and quite different from St-Hubert) on Sherbrooke Street at Highway 15 (also inexpensive)

-Poutine at any La Belle Province outlet

-Le Bifteque is a chain of local steakhouses that will never steer you wrong - one is near the airport (drove Outback out of town)

Pricier options not yet mentioned:

-Moishe's Restaurant on St-Laurent Boulevard for the best Filet Mignon on the planet (pricey but an absolute must, note:dress code in force)

-40-West Restaurant out on the West Island on Boul. des Sources is fantastic

- Queue de Cheval (Rene Levesque at Stanley, across from the Queen Elizabeth Hotel) literal translation: "The Horse's Butt" - probably the most expensive restaurant in the city... bring a high-limit card, and brag to your friends about where you ate....

Taxi drivers in Montreal may have a reason for taking the "tourist detour":

Recently five doormen at a Montreal hotel mentioned in previous threads were arrested and charged with extorting a fee for loading passengers at this hotel. Cabbies (now emboldened) say the practice is not limited to this particular establishment by any stretch of the imagination....

If you want to try unique local establishments in a simpler vein, and won't clobber your wallet:

-Schwartz's Deli (Chartcuterie Hebraiique de Montreal) or Lester's Deli for Montreal smoked meat sandwiches (local Jews are fiercely loyal to one or the other... I happen to like both)

-St-Hubert Restaurants for BBQ chicken done in a unique way and not expensive

-Ditto for Chalet BBQ (chicken often copied, and quite different from St-Hubert) on Sherbrooke Street at Highway 15 (also inexpensive)

-Poutine at any La Belle Province outlet

-Le Bifteque is a chain of local steakhouses that will never steer you wrong - one is near the airport (drove Outback out of town)

Pricier options not yet mentioned:

-Moishe's Restaurant on St-Laurent Boulevard for the best Filet Mignon on the planet (pricey but an absolute must, note:dress code in force)

-40-West Restaurant out on the West Island on Boul. des Sources is fantastic

- Queue de Cheval (Rene Levesque at Stanley, across from the Queen Elizabeth Hotel) literal translation: "The Horse's Butt" - probably the most expensive restaurant in the city... bring a high-limit card, and brag to your friends about where you ate....

Actually the literal translation for Queue de Cheval is Horse's Tail or rather, ponytail. Queue in Quebec is slang for the male part. Cul is the word that would be used for butt. Just to be precise.

I have never been to 40 West, since I'm a city dweller...

Moishe's can be nice, but it is pricey and not always consistent. Many believe it is overrated. I must admit that I haven't been there since their heyday.

Queue de Cheval is known for using the English dry method of aging their beef. It is very high end. I've never been. The reviews are too mixed for me to spend that kind of money. I want something truly special if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

Le Biftheque is a great reasonably priced steakhouse. But I would think that it is inconvenient for a tourist in the city to visit, unless they have a car and are staying near the airport. The garlic croutons are excellent.

La Belle Province is a local fast food chain that isn't really a chain and completely inconsistent from location to location. In fact, because the name can't be protected many fast food places have adopted similar names, including Belle Pro. Some of the best known places for Poutine in Montreal (which is made with cheddar cheese curds, though sometimes gouda is used.) Patati Patata, La Banquise, McGibbin's Pub, Ma'am Bolduc just to name some of the most famous. Then there are the "deluxe" versions you might see like at Pied du Cochon with foie gras and at Garde Manger with lobster....

I don't know about hotels, but I use one taxi company at my B&B and we never ask for, nor receive compensation from them. We use the same company to ensure a consistent result for our guests. If there is a problem, I know where to call to complain. And they know that if they screw up, I can easily change to another company.

Ephraim said> "Le Biftheque is a great reasonably priced steakhouse. But I would think that it is inconvenient for a tourist in the city to visit, unless they have a car and are staying near the airport. The garlic croutons are excellent."

Actually, there are several Le Bifteque Locations, including one downtown at 998 Boul. de Maisonneuve West in the Les Cours Mont-Royal shopping complex.

The original location near the airport is a good choice for people staying at airport hotels, because there is not much in the way of good inexpensive restaurants in the area, and I figured I would throw it in...

also... The folks at Queue de Cheval really like to play off the "Horse's A**" translation, actually. I used the word "Butt" to be polite, but it is indeed not entirely accurate.

Actually, there are several Le Bifteque Locations, including one downtown at 998 Boul. de Maisonneuve West in the Les Cours Mont-Royal shopping complex.

The original location near the airport is a good choice for people staying at airport hotels, because there is not much in the way of good inexpensive restaurants in the area, and I figured I would throw it in...

also... The folks at Queue de Cheval really like to play off the "Horse's A**" translation, actually. I used the word "Butt" to be polite, but it is indeed not entirely accurate.

The downtown location closed a few months ago. Basically in Montreal there is the St-Laurent location (near the airport) and the Boucherville location (near nothing, really.) There is another location in Quebec city. The one on Cote de Liesse (ie the St-Laurent location) has a butcher shop as well. My parents used to take me there, before it became Le Biftheque, but I was so young at the time that I just can't remember what it used to be called. (PS: Filet Mignon is $24.23 a kilo this week. $10.99 a pound).

Ask a francophone to pronounce cul and queue and you will hear the difference. Much harder for anglophones to pronounce the difference. Either will get you in trouble in the village :) It does mean "tail" but in slang, it's really not... see http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=queue

Closed? Dang. I just ate there this past summer.

Local tip for locals:

Filet Mignon is around $7.00 a pound always at a place near where I live in Laval. It's a meat wholesaler open to the public called Grand Marché, on the 440 at Curé Labelle. All the meat is well-priced there.

• 2 months later...

Living in Montreal, I could also give you these nice restaurants:

http://www.restolegraindesel.ca/#4 (closed to the Jacques Cartier Bridge)

http://www.barroger.com/roger.html

http://www.casatapas.com/

Ther first two are "french bistro" and the last one is a spanish rest.

sorry i did not see an english menu... but if you are planning to come around, that would be a nice thing to buy a sanll englis/french dictionary.

PS . if my writing sound bizarre, it's becase I am french speaking... sorry

Brigitte

Living in Montreal, I could also give you these nice restaurants:

http://www.restolegraindesel.ca/#4 (closed to the Jacques Cartier Bridge)

http://www.barroger.com/roger.html

http://www.casatapas.com/

Ther first two are "french bistro" and the last one is a spanish rest.

sorry i did not see an english menu... but if you are planning to come around, that would be a nice thing to buy a sanll englis/french dictionary.

PS . if my writing sound bizarre, it's becase I am french speaking... sorry

Brigitte

Let's be specific....

Grain du Sel is to the east of downtown Montreal, no where near where you asked. It's okay. Still haven't figured out how it's tops on TripAdvisor... but it is NOT a bistro. A bistro is a restaurant that serves plain French food, the kind of fair that you would expect at home if you were French. Grain du Sel is French, not bistro.

Bar Roger... I don't know the restaurant, but it is far out of the way for any tourist. It's certainly not somewhere I would expect a tourist to go, unless he knew they were going for something special. But if you want to read the TripAdvisor reviews, they are here.... http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g155032-d1307735-r30456421-Chez_Roger_BBQ-Montreal_Quebec.html

Casa Tapas is an interesting tapas restaurant. Again, not in the area you were looking for. I've been to Casa Tapas and it's a nice restaurant. But certainly if you were looking for tapas, you are better off going to Pintxo which is a better choice. The decor at Casa Tapas is Barcelona and "Gaudi" which always struck me as being odd, since tapas are originally from Andalusia. Still, it's a good restaurant, but would I put it as a top pick or under the category of inexpensive? I'm not sure. Reviews are... http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d703009-Reviews-Casa_Tapas-Montreal_Quebec.html

Ephraim

My fault.. I read too fast.. didn't see we were looking for restaurant in old Montreal.... but then again, sometimes it's worth to pay an "honest" taxi driver to enjoy something else.

but yes, you are right, some I mentionned are a bit expensive... but could be so pleasant in the summer.. Roger & casa Tapas open their front windows.. it's almost like a terrasse.

But you should try "Roger" one of these day... it's my husband's favorite.

As for old montreal.. except steak & frite and the Keg... i really don't know .. oh.. yes.. maybe you know this one.. the restaurant upstairs the 'musée de la pointe à Callière"... this one is nice too. it's called L'arrivage.

http://www.tripadvisor.fr/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d792825-Reviews-L_Arrivage-Montreal_Quebec.html

Brigitte :-)

Actually the literal translation for Queue de Cheval is Horse's Tail or rather, ponytail. Queue in Quebec is slang for the male part. Cul is the word that would be used for butt. Just to be precise.

I have never been to 40 West, since I'm a city dweller...

Moishe's can be nice, but it is pricey and not always consistent. Many believe it is overrated. I must admit that I haven't been there since their heyday.

Queue de Cheval is known for using the English dry method of aging their beef. It is very high end. I've never been. The reviews are too mixed for me to spend that kind of money. I want something truly special if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

Le Biftheque is a great reasonably priced steakhouse. But I would think that it is inconvenient for a tourist in the city to visit, unless they have a car and are staying near the airport. The garlic croutons are excellent.

La Belle Province is a local fast food chain that isn't really a chain and completely inconsistent from location to location. In fact, because the name can't be protected many fast food places have adopted similar names, including Belle Pro. Some of the best known places for Poutine in Montreal (which is made with cheddar cheese curds, though sometimes gouda is used.) Patati Patata, La Banquise, McGibbin's Pub, Ma'am Bolduc just to name some of the most famous. Then there are the "deluxe" versions you might see like at Pied du Cochon with foie gras and at Garde Manger with lobster....

I don't know about hotels, but I use one taxi company at my B&B and we never ask for, nor receive compensation from them. We use the same company to ensure a consistent result for our guests. If there is a problem, I know where to call to complain. And they know that if they screw up, I can easily change to another company.

I would also skip Queue de Cheval. I heard rave reviews from so many people but was not impressed. Decent food, but not as outstanding as it should be for the price. It's VERY noisy, and there is no such thing as a small portion. The cuts of meat are huge and the waiters too busy to suggest anything special if you aren't in the mood for a pound of flesh.

Viv

Ephraim

My fault.. I read too fast.. didn't see we were looking for restaurant in old Montreal.... but then again, sometimes it's worth to pay an "honest" taxi driver to enjoy something else.

but yes, you are right, some I mentionned are a bit expensive... but could be so pleasant in the summer.. Roger & casa Tapas open their front windows.. it's almost like a terrasse.

But you should try "Roger" one of these day... it's my husband's favorite.

As for old montreal.. except steak & frite and the Keg... i really don't know .. oh.. yes.. maybe you know this one.. the restaurant upstairs the 'musée de la pointe à Callière"... this one is nice too. it's called L'arrivage.

http://www.tripadvisor.fr/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d792825-Reviews-L_Arrivage-Montreal_Quebec.html

Brigitte :-)

If you haven't been around Old Montreal lately for the restaurants, you are really missing some things, including some award winning chefs. But not all restaurants are for all people. I love Garde Manger, but it's for a younger crowd that likes it lively and loud. DNA, Barrocco, Club Chasse et Peche, Bonaparte, Stash, L'Epicier, Olive&Gourmando, Gibby's, Holder, Modavie, Chez Queux, L'Orignal, Aix Cuisine du Terroir, Keg, XO, etc etc etc. And then the Plateau... but then again, I live in the plateau :)

Thanks Ephraim for the suggestions!

I've heard by my husband that you can have a very fine dining at the club chasse et pêche.. ..

The Keg, I know, and I like.. but XO ... that is a place I have always wanted to try... maybe the next one.

And thanks for all those you have listed.. I always like to try some new places... :-)

I was looking at the Symbol for Gibby's as well as the menu and it looked exactly like the Gibby's Restaurant we had in Ft Lauderdale.I just found out it was. So sad it closed.

Any opinions on Schawartz's and Main?

I was looking at the Symbol for Gibby's as well as the menu and it looked exactly like the Gibby's Restaurant we had in Ft Lauderdale.I just found out it was. So sad it closed.

Any opinions on Schawartz's and Main?

Schwartz's makes the old "wet" style of smoked meat. It's a classic in Montreal. Smoked meat medium, fries and a dill. Because it is the old style of smoked meat, it still has to be cut by hand, so don't expect the thin style you would find at Lester's for example.

I've been to the Main, once. I've never been back and I live in the neighbourhood, need I say more?

Archived