Shoes for Dunns River Falls?

kmbeachlover

We used water shoes, some had sneakers. I am not sure how hard a sole aqua socks have, but the rocks are slippery and having some hard soles worked well for balance too. The guides go barefoot.

They rent or sell shoes there if you don't think yours will work.

We used the inexpensive ones from Target, the flexible kind. They were only about $5. I prefered having a flexible sole as opposed to having a hard sole, you can feel the rocks better and can mold your foot around it as you climb. It worked for us anyway.

You can see where they scrape the rocks to keep the "slime" off them, but if you see large patches of the green stuff on the rocks just don't put your feet there.

Land's End has "Sea to Shore" shoes for men, women, and children. The adult sizes are 29.50 and the children's are 19.50. I got myself and my son a pair for our March cruise. I thought they would come in handy for every excursion we are doing. They also sell them at Sears. In fact the sales person told me they were so popular they are having difficulty keeping them in stock. Oordering from Lands End gives you more color choices. Pick regular shipping. I got mine with in 4 days of ordering.

We went a few years ago and the aqua socks are great. Don't forget if you use your sneaks, which will also work fine, they will be wet for a day or two, which means you can't go to the gym and work off that great food:) Also, you won't want to walk around in your sneaks afterwards, squish squish squish!!

Just got back and had a great time. However, even with aqua socks on I managed to slip in an area that was very dangerous and if I didn't have a couple of people around to pull me up I would've been injured pretty badly. Though they scrub the rocks, I found several places where you felt like you were on ice. Be careful, and make sure you know in advance that the falls climb is by no means EASY! It takes concentration and a lot of balance and there are plenty of places to get injured. I'm a male in my early 30's and don't know that I'd do it again.

We just returned from Jamaica and loved climbing the falls. My son and I wore the standard "water shoe" and didn't have any trouble at all. My daughter wore a pair of Nike water sandals that have an open toe but a wide coverage of fabric over the top of the foot. Those were very comfortable and sporty enough to wear the rest of the day. My husband wore sandals that have nylon straps with velcro closures and he found that those were not the best shoe to climb in since the pressure of the water pulled his sandal right off. He was lucky that he was able to retrieve it. The water comes down with force but the rest of us had no trouble keeping our shoes on. Just make sure they are snug fitting, no velcro straps, and that your toes won't slip out of the top sandal strap if wearing the type of sandal that has an ankle strap and narrow foot strap.

We didn't find the climb extremely difficult. Our guides were great at telling us which way to go and any holes to avoid. We are in our early 40's with a 15 year old daughter and 19 year old son. We would all do it again in a heartbeat! Have a great time.

Archived