Money bar ... strong current?

ccheng64

I am very interested in snorkeling in Dzul Ha area (Money Bar) but I am concern about the current. I read mixed reviews so I am confused. Some people said the current is weak some said it is strong. I even read something like the current can push you to Fiesta America and you can walk back to Money Bar on sandy beach.

I don't feel too comfortable to be pushed by strong current so maybe I should consider Chanakkab park? I heard Chanakkab park is quite peaceful but not as natural as Dzul Ha?

Our ship arrives at 7am and leaves at 5pm. My plan is to spend 3 hours snorkeling in Dzul Ha area and then head to Mr. Sanchos to relax on the beach, and then do some sightseeing in downtown area before boarding. Does this plan sound reasonable?

We will bring our own snorkeling gear. Should we go back to the ship to put our gear away before heading to downtown or should we just carry our gear with us to save time?

Any suggestion is welcome. Thank you!

I am very interested in snorkeling in Dzul Ha area (Money Bar) but I am concern about the current. I read mixed reviews so I am confused. Some people said the current is weak some said it is strong. I even read something like the current can push you to Fiesta America and you can walk back to Money Bar on sandy beach.

I don't feel too comfortable to be pushed by strong current so maybe I should consider Chanakkab park? I heard Chanakkab park is quite peaceful but not as natural as Dzul Ha?

Our ship arrives at 7am and leaves at 5pm. My plan is to spend 3 hours snorkeling in Dzul Ha area and then head to Mr. Sanchos to relax on the beach, and then do some sightseeing in downtown area before boarding. Does this plan sound reasonable?

We will bring our own snorkeling gear. Should we go back to the ship to put our gear away before heading to downtown or should we just carry our gear with us to save time?

Any suggestion is welcome. Thank you!

I purchased two Nike sling pounches that are similiar to a backpack for the guys in our group to stick a towel, snorkel, etc in . The bags I bought at Ross and weight less than 6 oz. and I think will be perfect for things like this. I myself will be taking a backpack for same items and little things I pick up along the way,

Ccheng64,

We have enjoyed Dzul Ha / Money Bar three times while cruising with Carnival. We get off the ship and get a taxi, it is only about a 10 minute ride. There is a board at the taxi stand with set prices to different areas. Money Bar has tables & chairs. We always order a drink and a snack. Prices are reasonable. Snorkeling is good. It was better before hurricane Wilma destroyed the beach, a lot of the coral and the original bar. It's still a nice place to enjoy snorkeling. Beach is very rocky, which is normal if there is good snorkeling from the beach. I don't remember the current being strong, only the drinks :) (ps only drink after you are done snorkeling). There is an outdoor shower to rinse off. The bar was being rebuilt when we where there last April 2009. We brought our own gear, I don't know if you can rent gear from the bar? We took a taxi back to the ship. Just stand by the road, they come by every few minutes. We changed out of our suits and grabbed a quick sandwich and then went shopping. It's a nice and inexpensive day. Some of the Carnival snorkel excursions stop here, but why pay the extra charge when you can do it yourself. If you check out my pictures, there are some of the Money Bar area. If you have other questions, just ask!

• 2 weeks later...

The current in Coz depends on the time of year, the weather and which end of the island you're on. As a general guideline, it's strongest in the fall but does exist at all times (from very mild to pretty strong).

Dzul Ha, The Money Bar and the Fiesta Americana are very nearby one another. Floating from one to the other on the current is comparable to floating the length of a football field or slightly more. The current rarely tends to pull out toward sea but rather keeps you within a short distance of the shore. There are always lots of people at these destinations, the liklihood that you might require assistance and not be noticed is minute.

Chankanab (the Snorkelling Park) is not very far from the others either and shares the same end of the same coast - the current will be the same here.

Enjoy Coz, it's a wonderful little island - my favourite in fact :D

The current in Coz depends on the time of year, the weather and which end of the island you're on. As a general guideline, it's strongest in the fall but does exist at all times (from very mild to pretty strong).

Dzul Ha, The Money Bar and the Fiesta Americana are very nearby one another. Floating from one to the other on the current is comparable to floating the length of a football field or slightly more. The current rarely tends to pull out toward sea but rather keeps you within a short distance of the shore. There are always lots of people at these destinations, the liklihood that you might require assistance and not be noticed is minute.

Chankanab (the Snorkelling Park) is not very far from the others either and shares the same end of the same coast - the current will be the same here.

Enjoy Coz, it's a wonderful little island - my favourite in fact :D

Hey Jayneoliz! Its Mamajules from Saints & Sinners V on the Legend. How you doing? Miss hanging out on the back on the ship sipping DODs or enjoying karaoke! We're heading out on the Fantasy New Year's Day from Charleston. Hope you find one for February!

Hey lady! Great to hear from you :-)

RCL Legend was actually this past January. I finally got my hubby on a ship and we had a blast! I though about you guys every time I went to afternoon tea and had a giggle remembering.

I'm not planning a next cruise yet. I havent updated my profile in a while and that was this past Feb as well - it didnt end up coming together though. I'll likely will hop on a boat somewhere in the spring with my cousin & freinds.

Mom & I are going to be holidaying on the Mayan Riv in another week's time - can not wait!!!!

Enjoy that New Year's cruise woman..... I know you will :-)

Archived