Kids Dining Options

bravjd

My husband and I are sailing on NOS on 5/28 with our 7 year old son. I am trying to decide on which dinner seating to choose. The problem is that my son is a VERY picky eater. I have already seen the kids dining room menu and there are several things I know he will eat.

My question is about the kid friendly options at Windjammer for dinner. My husband and I usually prefer the late seating and if Windjammer has enough things for my son to eat we would book the late seating for the 2 of us, feed my son at Windjammer first and send him to the kid's club during our dinner. However, if the options for my son are very limited, we will need to book the early seating to accomodate him.

In the same line of thinking, can you order off the kid's dining room menu through room service?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure he would find something in the Windjammer if you wanted to take him up there. They have a wide selection of items, and many people seem to be up there with their kids doing just as you suggest you may. The chicken fingers are especially yummy! :)

It's not advertised, but you can order room service off the dining room menu during dinner hours, so I would imagine you could order off the kid's menu as well.

Yes, you can get most kids meals from room service. I do not know which items your son likes but there is a wide variety in the Windjammer.

You did not say which ship you were on. The Voyager class ship aslo have a sandwich shop, Johnny Rockets, and pizza. The Radiance class has the Sea View cafe (IMHO far better then JR). Book what works for you, there will be plenty of food for your son.

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately he does not eat hamburgers and is very fussy about chicken strips/nuggets. I forgot about the pizza place, that will definitely work.

He loves mac & cheese, spaghetti, hot dogs, corn dogs, pizza and PB &J sandwiches.

Between Windjammer, the pizza place and room service, I think he'll be just fine. My husband and I will book the late seating and enjoy a leisurely dinner. Thanks again for the information.

My husband and I are sailing on NOS on 5/28 with our 7 year old son. I am trying to decide on which dinner seating to choose. The problem is that my son is a VERY picky eater. I have already seen the kids dining room menu and there are several things I know he will eat.

My question is about the kid friendly options at Windjammer for dinner. My husband and I usually prefer the late seating and if Windjammer has enough things for my son to eat we would book the late seating for the 2 of us, feed my son at Windjammer first and send him to the kid's club during our dinner. However, if the options for my son are very limited, we will need to book the early seating to accomodate him.

In the same line of thinking, can you order off the kid's dining room menu through room service?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Get the late seating. The windjammer opens at 18:00. Stop by with your son and if he is hungry or finds something he wants, get him dinner. If not, he can go with you to the late seating and eat from the kids menu. Or he can choose to go to AO, whatever. It's a vacation. He'll find something he wants everyday. Trust me. There are so many options between WJ and DR that I can't imagine him not finding something he'll like, picky eater or not.

In my household we use the term "selective eater" for our DD (now nine). She has been on four RCCL cruises over the past three years and loves the food. The food service staff is very accommodating for "special requests" particularly for kids.

I too have a very picky eater. He did not find a lot of things at Windjammer... but he really eats very few things. However, I agree with other posters to go ahead with late seating. You can get a snack for your son at the cafe' or Windjammer... and then give him the option of going with you to the dining room. My son happens to love going to the main dining room... just for the experience ( well, ok, and for the chocolate milk they bring him as soon as he sits down... and the next one as soon as his glass is empty!!!!!). AO is just a few floors straight above the dinning room, so if he decides he wants to leave during the meal, you can easily get up and excuse yourself for 5 minutes to bring him up there. ( our tablemates did that a few times on our last cruise). Also, the waiter will bring out the childs main course whenever you want him to... during your appetizers or when all the main courses come out. Relax and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I like that term!!!! I will have to remember that one!!!! My son could for sure be called a selective eater!!!! And yes, the crew is very accomodating to all food needs...even the very young!!! ( My son had his plain pasta.. NO parsley and sauce on the side every night!!!!)

"selective eater"! THAT'S a new one! Our son goes through periods of "selective eating", but I am the mean mommy. "Yeah, well you'll be nice and hungry for breakfast then" is my phrase that pays! Also, my hubby's favorite "I am not running a buffateria here!" What's a "buffateria"?? I think a cross between a buffet and a cafeteria!

It works for us though. Broccoli gets eaten like dinosaurs eat trees, and carrots like a shark bites through a boat! And neither one of our kids has starved to death!

On our two RCCL cruises with preschoolers, all the staff was very accommodating to our kids. I'm sure your child will do just fine and also have plenty of fun!

Barbara

Archived