Spirit to Alaska-Cabin Questions

picomullet

I can't believe we have actually set a date...Alaska..WOW

I cannot decide on a cabin..Main/Verandah...balcony or aft balcony. I have read if you are lower you see more in the water...How is the view from the aft balcony? We love sitting on the ecstasy in the back dining area watching the water but how limited will we be in an aft and viewing all the mountains, etc...

Thanks for all your input..I really feel we need to book by Monday...

If you have the opportunity for an aft to Alaska, my personal recommendation would be to take it! Haven't sailed the Spirit, but did sail on the HAL Amsterdam for their new 14 day itinerary this past May 31st. We booked an outside on the aft Navigation deck - we had a spectacular aft view from our huge (much larger than expected) window, and it was just steps (literally 5) to a little known public aft deck, which we enjoyed as though it was our own private balcony. We sat out there often - much more than expected and had amazing views besides the calming and soothing aft wake views. Loved it! I imagine having your own aft balcony would be even better! Alaska is wall-to-wall scenery, and we would certainly have gotten a balcony if the cost wasn't so high (the smaller HAL ships don't have that many balcony cabins, so they are quite expensive). We have sailed to Alaska three times, and this past May's trip was the first we didn't sail in a balcony cabin. Our cabin choice this time was the next best thing and we'd sail in that exact same cabin again in a heartbeat. My take? Go for the aft cabin - you won't regret it!:D

Thanks for the info...14 day trip we plan on hopefully in 2012. A 40th anniversary trip.. I am going to keep that location in mind as I know we will be traveling with HAL for that trip...

I am thinking aft balcony on main deck. I hear you can go down 1 deck and be to an outside deck on the sides...and it is more covered.:)

Have a great day!!!

Debby

Glad to be of help. Definitely keep those cabin numbers on the Amsterdam in mind - 7056 is more open, but 7055 had only a minor obstruction - the stairs going up to the aft Lido deck (another plus of those cabin locations - just a quick flight upstairs to the SeaView Bar for some adult beverages;) and the Lido restaurant for munchies whenever they strike. Perfect location!

Sounds like a great plan for a balcony on the main deck. Being closer to the water is always a good thing! Puts things in perspective - particularly when sailing to Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay. You really do feel so insignificant in Alaska because of the majesty all around you! Enjoy - have a fantastic cruise. You're gonna love Alaska, and YES, you'll go back again and again. We did!:p

I recomend lower balcony. Why? Loved the Spirit, (Sept 2010) except, our deck 8 balcony was just below sounds of carts rolling at 5:30am for breakfast prep. Good thing was wicked close to go get coffee. Viewing from above is cool, easier to spot whales, a but further away to see them up close. Lower gets you closer to iceburgs and wildlife(except eagles)Mountains are great view from higher, you look up AND down at them. You can always go outdoors to another deck. We had a center aft cabin on another carnival and you feel less rocking there. From being there, I don't see why center or aft would have better views, I picked center because it seemed more popular when booking(thru priceline-best price+perks) Go main deck.

We were just on the Carnival Spirit in June on deck 5 in a balcony cabin (midship). The waters were kinda dark anyway, it wasn't like clear blue where you could see stuff in the water like the Caribbean. We had a great view of the mountains & wildlife. We even spotted some whales from our balcony. Our friends were in a balcony room on deck 8 (midship) & their view was pretty much exactly the same as ours.

Glacier Bay especially was unbelievable. Sat out on the balcony with a cup of hot chocolate and watched the amazing scenery.

Saw plenty of whales, orcas, seals, etc. At one point we were "surrounded by dolphins" as hundreds of them were playing in the waves we made cruising the inside passage.

The benefit of the aft balcony is that you can watch and watch until whatever you're watching fades from view, instead of from the side of the ship where once you're past it you can't see it anymore.

It was phenomenal watching the glaciers and mountains fade away, especially at sunset.

Archived