Requesting onboard credit for price drop

EmmaPeel

Hi All -

When it comes to requesting an onboard credit due to a price drop that occurs after you have made final payment; do most of you request it immediately upon noticing the price difference? I noticed yesterday that the price on my cruise has dropped $10 per person. Should I call now to request a credit or wait to see if drops further? If I call now and get credit and then it drops again, can I call and request further credit (my cruise is 50+ days away)?

Or is $20 not worth the hassel (although that would buy me several beers on board)!

Thanks for any help. :D

Hi All -

When it comes to requesting an onboard credit due to a price drop that occurs after you have made final payment; do most of you request it immediately upon noticing the price difference? I noticed yesterday that the price on my cruise has dropped $10 per person. Should I call now to request a credit or wait to see if drops further? If I call now and get credit and then it drops again, can I call and request further credit (my cruise is 50+ days away)?

Or is $20 not worth the hassel (although that would buy me several beers on board)!

Thanks for any help. :D

Does your TA honor price drops? Was this something you talked about prior to booking with them?

Hello, this is a copy of a post I did a week ago on the same subject:

Okay, some of you were right. My 449.00 OV guarantee rate booking two days ago through Travelocity wasn't such a good deal. (I did get a Empress deck aft looking cabin though and not a porthole on the Riviera - just trying to make myself feel better) Anyway, today's rate dropped to 399.00 per person for myself and my wife. I called Travelocity to complain and told them about it - and said I'm not looking for a refund but simply an on board credit of 100.00. The Travelocity people called Carnival - who in turn offered me a 80.00 on board credit. I said yes, but then they said they won't do anything else if the price drops further. (I still said OK) Has anyone tried the on board credit approach to this? And, any ideas as to how much further the prices may drop?

=costpenn... Has anyone tried the on board credit approach to this?

Not sure what you mean by 'tried the approach'.

And, any ideas as to how much further the prices may drop?

There may be another price drop and maybe not. But if Carnival says you aren't eligible for another credit, believe them.;)

cruisemaiden - I was wondering the same thing. I booked directly with Carnival. How do I know when the price drops? The Carnival rep told me that the rate I got was great and would probably go up soon. Would love a shipboard credit if the price should drop. Any suggestions?

Ok. Last night I decided to call Carnival and just see if there were any savings, up-grades etc. as my PVP had suggested to do when I booked.

Good thing I called, I was originally booked in a 4A inside stateroom on the Riviara deck with a spicific room number as when I booked they told me no guarantees were available.

Now...they have me booked in a catagory OV guarantee. So now I have been upgraded to ocean view!!! So, I am not sure of my room, but atleast I know I will have an ocean view anyways...

The credit I would have gotten for that upgrade would only have been $10 per person, so decided to take the 2 catageory upgrade as the 20 bucks is not a big deal to me.

I get the feeling that Carnival would rather upgrade you then give you any money back...

So....I am going to keep calling and see what happens, it really does not hurt to check it out!

Jck - What I do is to call my PVP at intervals (every couple of weeks) starting about six weeks before the cruise date. I just ask, "OK, so what great things can you do for me today? Upgrade? Credits? C'mon, I bet you can find something?".....

She just laughs and says, "Let me check...." and comes back with good news sometimes and not at other times. But, I have been diligent with my calls, and she doesn't seem to mind.

BTW, on the last five cruises, I've gotten either/or shipboard credits/upgrade.:)

When I called, I asked for my PVP Elisabeth. She was not available so the PVP that I was talking to asked if he could help me.

I then gave him my booking number and such and he pulled up my booking. I then told him my PVP Elizabeth told me to call her once per week to check on any specials, price reductions or up-grades, or guarantees...and that I was checking to see I was eligibile for any of these things...

He said...just a minute and then came back and told me my 4A inside had a price drop of $10 per person. I said than can I get that price drop in a ship credit??? The PVP said hold on I will check...he then came back online and said good news! I talked to my supervisor and I found something better for you....we can upgrade you to an ocean view catagory OV instead...

I took that in a heart beat and he sent me my new confirmation yesterday which is now a catagory OV (ocean view) guarantee.

Now, they are aware that we are past guests, and that we are celebrating our 25th Anniversary....I don't know if this had any effect on what happend but I am a happy cruiser and glad to have the ocean view for the price of the 4A inside!!!!!

You can bet I will keep calling for other deals and specials....cause he did make the comment....you never know maybe we can get you into a suite!!!!!!!

Cotton always love your advice, I have a TA will the same work with her. Also if you book with a TA should your price be lower than what Carnival offers. From reading the boards it seems to me that people get discounts or credits when booking with a Ta, I got none.

Jac, thx for the compliment.:)

Y'know, I'm just not really sure how the TAs handle things like that. I've used the same PVP for the past five cruises, and I think that maybe having some sort of good relationship with your booking agent might help...? Also, I have a pretty good sense of humor, and tend to 'chat' probably more than the average person looking for a cruise....:D

As far as booking with TA as opposed to PVP, I've done lots of homework before booking cruises, and even now when I KNOW my PVP will come thru for me, I still check out prices on other sites, as well as with a local TA, prior to calling my PVP. I've always been able to get better deals thru Carnival PVP directly. Everybody has their own 'best' way to book a cruise. You might want to try a PVP next time - just to see what you think. Bottom line - get the best deal for YOU.:)

Archived