Deposit/No Deposit -- Refunds - How early to Book?

Califcat

I am diving Barbados and St Kitts later this month (Princess Emerald Oct 18) and was wondering about a few things:

1) How close to departure to you book? 1 week 2 weeks, 5 days, 3 days???

( I am trying to wait to see how the weather will be during those days)

2) Do you usually leave a deposit or pay in full before you leave home?? Do you pay by CC?

(I would rather pay cash when I get there - I don't like giving my CC # to places I don't know)

3) Can you book without a deposit?

3) Have you ever had a problem getting your deposit back if bad weather happens or ship misses that port??

4) How did you contact dive shop if this happened? Or do you do this when you are back home?

5) Are these two islands safe for single female to take a taxi diving alone?

Sorry so many questions? I searched the dive forum and couldn't find any of these answers! PLEASE HELP!!

:p

I am diving Barbados and St Kitts later this month (Princess Emerald Oct 18) and was wondering about a few things:

1) How close to departure to you book? 1 week 2 weeks, 5 days, 3 days???

( I am trying to wait to see how the weather will be during those days)

2) Do you usually leave a deposit or pay in full before you leave home?? Do you pay by CC?

(I would rather pay cash when I get there - I don't like giving my CC # to places I don't know)

3) Can you book without a deposit?

3) Have you ever had a problem getting your deposit back if bad weather happens or ship misses that port??

4) How did you contact dive shop if this happened? Or do you do this when you are back home?

5) Are these two islands safe for single female to take a taxi diving alone?

Sorry so many questions? I searched the dive forum and couldn't find any of these answers! PLEASE HELP!!

I'm a snorkeler, not a diver, but the basics of your questions remain the same. Most (all?) operators require a deposit. Some accept a credit card, others ask for cash, usually via Paypal. I recommend booking as early as possible, especially for dive trips which have fewer passengers. Your deposit will automatically be refunded if the dive is canceled for weather or your ship misses port. Both St Kitts and Barbados are safe for travelers. I'm solo and haven't been abducted yet, darn it!:p

Your deposit will automatically be refunded if the dive is canceled for weather or your ship misses port.

Most of what you said is correct, but this point is not necessarily true.

Most ops will refund if the dive is cancelled due to whether or the ship missing port. But not all. If you booked Tue., and for whatever reason the ship changes and goes there on Thr. instead, but you don't cancel, the op may charge you.

Whoever you are booking with, this is always one question to ask.

Archived