hampton inn-mystery hotel

maryevelyn

[quote name='caymancouple']Does anyone know if there is a grocery store, and place to buy wine near the Hampton?[/quote]

There is a Kmart in a shopping center right next door. I forgot some essentials and had to go pick up a few things and the hotel stated Kmart was the closest to the hotel. I have not been in a Kmart in years...and now I know why...it was not in the best shape..,,one register was open.....and things were overpriced (facial soap, moisturizer, contact lens solution), but the wine selection in the front of the store by the registers seemed around the normal price.

The hotel has a list of nearby restaurants printed out for guests that they will give you upon check-in. With young kids, we just headed over to McDonalds so they could start their vacation with a Happy Meal. Taco Bell and Chipolte were right there also.

[quote name='babyblue78']Does the nearby McDonalds have a PlayPlace in it? We will have two small children, that may be a place for them to burn off the steam after traveling to get to port. Thanks![/quote]

No, it's just a regular McD's.

We brought some games from home for the kids to play at the hotel and then left them in the car. My 3 year old fell asleep on the way to the hotel....and we only have a 3 1/2 hour ride....so he did not want to go to sleep that night! Unfortunately it was midnight before he fell asleep....while my 8 year old passed out about an hour earlier. My husband and I could barely keep our eyes open! Gotta love all the energy the kids have!!

[quote name='CariBear']No, it's just a regular McD's.

We brought some games from home for the kids to play at the hotel and then left them in the car. My 3 year old fell asleep on the way to the hotel....and we only have a 3 1/2 hour ride....so he did not want to go to sleep that night! Unfortunately it was midnight before he fell asleep....while my 8 year old passed out about an hour earlier. My husband and I could barely keep our eyes open! Gotta love all the energy the kids have!![/QUOTE]

I see that you drove... did you leave your car at the hotel during the cruise? Was there any additional charge, or anything special you needed to do in order to leave your car? 1-2 vehicles from our group will be driving in, we are trying to decide what to do with the cars. Thanks!

We stayed at the Hampton on Nov. 12 and it was everything we expected. Quiet clean room, actually a suite on the first floor. Hotel full of cruisers. We ate at the Chipotle's across the street. We also went to the K-Mart nearby. (We flew in and were picked up at FLL after a 20 minute wait.) The K-Mart is a five minute walk. The wine selection is merger at best, IMO. The prices are standard, however. If you have a Big Lots card, they also have a liquor store and it is next to the K-Mart. This one is only for essentials. I can see why they are not doing well.

Van to the port left the hotel at 10:30. Free. A little early IMO because we sat for a while before they opened the gates for preboarding. The line we were in, of course, was the slowest because the idiot couple did not complete the on-line questionairre, re: contacts, credit card, etc. Sometimes I wonder how some people get along in this world.

Good hotel and I would stay there again.

Bill

We stayed at the Hampton on Nov. 12 and it was everything we expected. Quiet clean room, actually a suite on the first floor. Hotel full of cruisers. We ate at the Chipotle's across the street. We also went to the K-Mart nearby. (We flew in and were picked up at FLL after a 20 minute wait.) The K-Mart is a five minute walk. The wine selection is merger at best, IMO. The prices are standard, however. If you have a Big Lots card, they also have a liquor store and it is next to the K-Mart. This one is only for essentials. I can see why they are not doing well.

Van to the port left the hotel at 10:30. Free. A little early IMO because we sat for a while before they opened the gates for preboarding. The line we were in, of course, was the slowest because the idiot couple did not complete the on-line questionairre, re: contacts, credit card, etc. Sometimes I wonder how some people get along in this world.

Bill

Thanks for the update!

It is reassuring to hear that you were satisfied, felt it was a good hotel and would stay there again.

Now if I knew how to buy some wine at K Mart and bring it aboard the Oasis with me.

Dick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure you mean Big Lots? No need to have a card to get into Big Lots. I think you mean B.J.'s.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure you mean Big Lots? No need to have a card to get into Big Lots. I think you mean B.J.'s.

Sorry, B.J.'s.

Thanks for the update!

It is reassuring to hear that you were satisfied, felt it was a good hotel and would stay there again.

Now if I knew how to buy some wine at K Mart and bring it aboard the Oasis with me.

Dick

Better check the RCCL policy about alcohol being brought on board. I was on Princess and they are a bit more liberal. RCCL, from what I understand, will confiscate it and return it at the end of the voyage. Good luck.

Bill

Better check the RCCL policy about alcohol being brought on board. I was on Princess and they are a bit more liberal. RCCL, from what I understand, will confiscate it and return it at the end of the voyage. Good luck.

Bill

Thanks for your comments.

I have read the policy and comments from cruisers on Cruise Critic.

I guess I will buy my alcohol mixed by the bartenders and served by the wait persons. That is not all bad.

Thanks SSAWJO.... Eases my mind a bit to know this location is NOT an 'itchy-inn'!!! We booked as a 'mystery' hotel also but will be staying POST Cruise.

We're cruising from Miami but flying from FLL the day after our cruise.... We plan on staying on-board until Carnival kicks us off!!! :D Hope I can beg, plead, or tip my way to an early room!!! Will use the 17 y/o to pour on her charm and bat her eyelashes if need be!! :p

Thanks SSAWJO.... Eases my mind a bit to know this location is NOT an 'itchy-inn'!!! We booked as a 'mystery' hotel also but will be staying POST Cruise.

We're cruising from Miami but flying from FLL the day after our cruise.... We plan on staying on-board until Carnival kicks us off!!! :D Hope I can beg, plead, or tip my way to an early room!!! Will use the 17 y/o to pour on her charm and bat her eyelashes if need be!! :p

I doubt that will be necessary. On our last cruise, while waiting for the shuttle to the port, there were many people doing post cruise stays at the Hampton and they weren't having any problems getting early check-ins. It seemed they were telling them to take a seat and then they would let them know as soon as the room became available. The staff at the Hampton were the "best"

Yes, you can contact the hotel and they will arrange it. However, it costs about $8 pp. We chose to shuttle to the airport for a car rental.

Oh thanks Rayefan for the quick reply. That car rental shuttle from Port Everglades to the airport... was it easy to find and did it come often? WE may decide to rent a car for the one day post cruise. Thanks.

Oh thanks Rayefan for the quick reply. That car rental shuttle from Port Everglades to the airport... was it easy to find and did it come often? WE may decide to rent a car for the one day post cruise. Thanks.

Shop around on the car rental.... ours was with Budget (I think) and there was a shuttle but, the shuttle did NOT go to the airport it went to a strip mall and because of a big NFL football game the next day they did not have a spare car to rent there so, I had to pay 14.00 to take a taxi to the airport. The car rental was nice cuz we got ourselves around the Ft. Lauderdale area and saw some sights.

Also we were the last group called off the ship so when we got outside there were a lot of people there. And I mean a lot!

Enjoy your cruise!

We want to stop at Total Wine during our trip from the airport to the Hampton Inn. We plan to call & place our order ahead so we'd just need to go in & pickup our order.

Has anyone asked the Hampton Inn shuttle driver to make a stop along the way? Looks like Total Wine would be about 7 or 8 miles out of the way. Our plane doesn't arrive until 7 pm so it'd be after the rush hour traffic.

Skipping the hotel shuttle and just getting a taxi would be an option but we'd prefer to pay or tip the shuttle driver.

We want to stop at Total Wine during our trip from the airport to the Hampton Inn. We plan to call & place our order ahead so we'd just need to go in & pickup our order.

Has anyone asked the Hampton Inn shuttle driver to make a stop along the way? Looks like Total Wine would be about 7 or 8 miles out of the way. Our plane doesn't arrive until 7 pm so it'd be after the rush hour traffic.

Skipping the hotel shuttle and just getting a taxi would be an option but we'd prefer to pay or tip the shuttle driver.

The van most likely will be full of other travelers. Not sure if they would be too happy about a side trip to Total Wines. Unless, of course, they want to buy something also.

I apologize for not looking back, or going to Princess, but, this is easier :o Not really a drinker so never encountered. What is Princess's policy on bringing wine on board. Can you open it in your room with no corkage charge, or must u bring to dining room & pay for them to open. My friend likes wine, I don't like the prices, lol. I'm asking here because above someone mentioned the policy.

Thanks everyone, our cruise is getting closer, Jan. 7, stay at the Hampton Inn Jan 6 sail , have not confirmed yet with hotel. Need to do that. :D

Smooth sailing to all!!

Marianne

There is no issue with bringing wine on board and no fees if you drink it in your room, only when you go to the dining room they will charge you a corkage fee if you bring your bottle of wine.

I apologize for not looking back, or going to Princess, but, this is easier :o Not really a drinker so never encountered. What is Princess's policy on bringing wine on board. Can you open it in your room with no corkage charge, or must u bring to dining room & pay for them to open. My friend likes wine, I don't like the prices, lol. I'm asking here because above someone mentioned the policy.

Thanks everyone, our cruise is getting closer, Jan. 7, stay at the Hampton Inn Jan 6 sail , have not confirmed yet with hotel. Need to do that. :D

Smooth sailing to all!!

Marianne

Archived