Best RCCL Excursion to Dunns River Falls?

dig21

We have decieded that we definitely want to do an RCCL Excursion to Dunns River Falls while in Ocho Rios but can not decide which one.

I am considering "Oho Rios Flavors Highlights" because it also includes Fern Gully but also like the idea of going by boat to avoid the vendors at the entrance to Dunns River Falls.

We will have our 12 year old son & his friend with us so we want to do something that they would really enjoy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I would recommend doing the Peat Taylor excursion. It is a lot cheaper than the RCCL excursion. Here is the website: http://www.peattaylor.com/index.html. He comes highly recommended on the Ports of Call boards. We had a blast. It was one of the best excursions we did. You go to Dunns River Falls, then on a tour of the island. You stop at Fern Gully. Then he will drop you off and pick you up from shopping or drop you at the ship. I don't remember there being any vendors at the entrance. If there were, they didn't bother us. I think I will do it again next year when we go back to Jamaica!

Christie

Another person who recommends Peat Taylor. Please don't be so quick to rule him out.

He is an excellent person and you will be 100% safe with him. He picks you up at the end of the pier and will bring you back in lots of time so that you will not miss the ship.

If you leave your personal belongings with him they will also be safe as Peat never leaves his bus.

He is funny and will certainly entertain everybody on the bus.

When we took his tour last (2003) he only charged $20.00 per person plus tip (optional) and he is worth every cent.

You should do a search on Peat Taylor and you will find everybody will highly recommend him.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

I have read a lot about Peat Taylor & other Independent Tour Operators on this site & I'm sure they are great but again I am only looking for recommendations for RCCL Excursions.

Thanks

I have read a lot about Peat Taylor & other Independent Tour Operators on this site & I'm sure they are great but again I am only looking for recommendations for RCCL Excursions.

Thanks

To each his own. But, I don't understand why you would limit yourself unless you have some connection with RCCL. You are asking for informed opinions, yet you have an aversion to some real good advice here. I recommend you read all the reviews on RCCL shore excursions. If you still insist on using only RCCL, good luck.

The best advice I've seen here is the same that I would give. Use Peat Taylor for a much more personalized, more thorough tour. You asked for advice. Folks are giving it to you. You choose to do with it what you wish.

Have a good Dunns River trip with whomever you end up going with. I highly recommend doing it in Ocho Rios.

btw....the vendors are at the exit, not the entrance to Dunns River Falls

We are just more comfortable booking our excursions with the Cruise Line for various reasons.

I asked a specific question in hopes of getting some useful information about RCCL excursions in Ocho Rios not to have my question ignored & be chastised for wanting to do an RCCL excursion.

Thanks Anyway

Dig21...we did the RCCL excursion to Dunns River by boat. Friends that went with us had been to Dunns falls before and did NOT like the vendors at the top of the falls. The boat met us right at the pier. They gave us a bit of a tour on the way to the falls. We got the the beach at the bottom of the falls and there were tables to put our stuff on. At first we were a little apprehensive but there were ladies there watching it at all times, and there was nothing taken from anyone. After climbing the falls, we were able to walk back down to the beach area. Had a little time left so we swam a bit..it was the warmest water I'd ever been in. :D On our way back we had rum punch (they also took your picture but no obligations to buy). They took us right back to the ship. We had time leftover so we walked to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. We had a great time and are glad we did the falls this way. Don't forget to take your underwater camera as the guides will take pictures of you in the falls.

We are going on our next cruise with friends who are adamant they will not get off the boat in Jamaica unless it is with a RCCL tour. They do not even feel comfortable walking around the shopping area close to the ship, and they have never been to Jamaica! I strongly disagree with them but to each his own. Let's try to help this person out and answer the question.

We did a catamaran snorkle/Dunns River tour with RCCL and it was a blast. The snorkeling was so/so but we avoided the vendors at Dunn's River (unless you want to visit that area). BYW, you can avoid the vendors by just going out the entrance rather than the exit. You will get grief but just keep walking and they will not stop you.

Anyway, the catamaran ride was so much fun, one of those real bouncy up and down type rides where you get soaked if you are sitting in front of the boat. My son absolutely loved it and compared it to going to an amusement park!

I think this was the Sanara Trimaran cruise trip but I am not positive. There is also a San San Yacht cruise but I don't think that is a catamaran type boat so it was probably the Sanara.

Hope this helps.

You're very welcome. Hope you had as great a time as I did. At the age of 49, (last year) I was happy to have made it successfully to the top w/ no problems at all. I was the very first person in line. At first, I was somewhat hesitant, but to tell you the truth, it was a great place to be. Going up, they have you make a human chain, so the person helping me up, was the guide. I was able to see exactly where his feet went on the rocks. I was also able to chat w/ him and ask him questions.

Have fun!!

I can't tell you which one to take, but I can tell you which one to avoid. Don't do the "Dolphin Cove and Dunn's River Falls". The falls were great, with exception of the pushy venders. Dolphin Cove was a waist! You have to pay extra to get anywhere near the dolphins and the beach was very disappointing! Here's some pics. http://community.webshots.com/album/115020658VHfdjC The water is only waist deep at the beach!

Dig21...we did the RCCL excursion to Dunns River by boat. Friends that went with us had been to Dunns falls before and did NOT like the vendors at the top of the falls. The boat met us right at the pier. They gave us a bit of a tour on the way to the falls. We got the the beach at the bottom of the falls and there were tables to put our stuff on. At first we were a little apprehensive but there were ladies there watching it at all times, and there was nothing taken from anyone. After climbing the falls, we were able to walk back down to the beach area. Had a little time left so we swam a bit..it was the warmest water I'd ever been in. :D On our way back we had rum punch (they also took your picture but no obligations to buy). They took us right back to the ship. We had time leftover so we walked to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. We had a great time and are glad we did the falls this way. Don't forget to take your underwater camera as the guides will take pictures of you in the falls.

How was Margaritaville? I'm actually more excited about going there than to the Falls, but I think we'll do both as well!:D

Bostonlass...When we went to Margaritaville, we didn't spend time on the beach area (we were running short on time). We did stick our heads out to see it and there was a beach area as well as a pool. People seem to be having a good time. The music was loud in the food area, however, again, folks seem to be having a good time. The store area (for buying t-shirts, etcc) is extremely small. There are lots of other neat stores around the shopping area next to Margaritaville. It's very close...you can see the ship docked from Margaritaville. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

We did the Brimmer Hall Plantation and the Dunn's River Falls 5 years ago. The plantation was ok. it was fun watching the guy climb the banana tree and the food and drinks were good afterward. If I were to do it again, I would skip it though, the driver there and to the falls was an adventure in itself.

The Falls are wonderful. By far that was the best thing we did on our cruise. I am not much for new things and that was something I am proud of myself for doing. The guides really help you along and will take pictures with you camera if you ask them. We made the mistake of going out the exit and wish we hadn'. The vendor we ran into was very pushy and followed us to our tour van.

What ever you do you will have a wonderful time. Now that we are going on our second cruise I am ready to give local tourguides a try. Great way to save money for other things you want to get.

Archived