Need Belize snorkeling expert/crowd questions/need ideas

Merv1

We will be cruising in about a month. I am narrowing down our excursion choices for each destination. We never book through the cruiseline. IF we decide to snorkel, we would take the ferry to Caye Caulker and then go out from there. (Unless someone has a better idea, based on what I say below).

I have done lots of research, and it seems that most of the local tour companies go to the same three places. Now, that is not to say that these three places do not offer fantastic snorkeling! But, my concern is the crowds, which is my main reason for not booking through the cruiseline to begin with. Also, there will be two other ships in port the day we are there. We will be in port from 8:00 to 5:00. So, can someone suggest a place to go with GREAT snorkeling, without the crowds? And, if you know of a place, which independent tour company/person should we use to get there? FYI, we have our own equipment. We would prefer something quiet, with only a handful of people on the boat, and heading someplace unique. While snorkeling with sharks and rays seems exciting, I am turned off by the fact that they seem almost "tame" and food is thrown out for them. Too commercialized for me. I would rather see less, but be in a more natural environment.

As an example, in St. Thomas we chartered a sailboat (just 6 of us) and stopped at two different snorkeling spots. The snorkeling was OUTSTANDING, and we were literally the only ones as far as the eye could see. THAT is what I am hoping to find in Belize...perhaps it doesn't exist? :confused:

Look up the site Coral Breeze Tours & look at their snorkel trip to Coral Gardens & Sting Ray whatever & then a local lunch on Caye Cauker.

They leave from the Tourist Village which is where you take the tender to.

They get you there & back in time for a great price.

We go with then several times each year & have always had a super time. And, there is never a crowd at either snorkeling stop.

If you are going to Rotan also, take the ships tour to Taybana Beach for some of the best off the beach snorkeling ?

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

Hi Bill, thanks for the post and your suggestions. I have of course read about Coral Breezes many times on this site. However, after reading the description of the particular tour mentioned above, it really is not for us. Attracting rays with "chum and food pieces" is not something that would interest us. And since by their own excursion description, this activity is "world famous" it just sounds way too commercialized for us. As I initially stated, I would rather see less, but in a more natural environment. I'll see what else is suggested, but it is possible that a snorkeling excursion in Belize "away from it all" does not exist. Still holding out hope!! :)

Take a look at:

Linda Searle | SEA SPORTS BELIZE

83 North Front Street | Belize City, Belize

TEL: 011 (501) 223-5505

www.seasportsbelize.com

I was writing back and forth with them about a snorkeling tour. It really sounded great but my partner couldn't handle the ladder on their boat. We had to go with a ship tour to get steps into the water. They even sent me pictures of their boat and ladder, which was very nice,but she thought she might have trouble. Anyway we didn't take the tour, but I sure would have liked to. It sounds more like what you're looking for...

Mona

Here are a couple of the emails I recieved from them:

Thank you for your email and interest in snorkeling with us while you are in Belize for the day!

We do offer snorkeling charters to the Belize Barrier Reef and we do our best to avoid the crowded sites and visiting Bannister is not on our itinerary for the day, unless it is requested.

We have two other persons from your ship that have already booked our Barrier Reef Snorkeling trip and do still have space for more.

Our ladder is very sturdy which makes getting into the boat very easy. I will have to look for a picture or take one this long weekend here in Belize and send to you. The good ladder and our Captain should make it possible for you to get into the boat without out too much effort.

Between snorkel sessions we go to a small island and have lunch. There are a couple in the area that we can visit that are sandy, but do not really have a beach where you can walk off and into the water. If you are looking for this kind of beach then you would need to visit Sergeant’s Caye but then the ship’s tours go here so we try to avoid, but we can if everyone would like to. If we go here there is a $5 pp entrance fee. Also available is Bannister Island, again visited by the cruise ships tours. They do have a restaurant and bar on this island. I’m going to take the picture this morning and email to you later today.

And one more email I recieved... Her answers to my questions are in Blue

Linda, I forgot to ask from what time to what time the excursion is WE MEET AT 8:30 AM, DEPART 9:30 AM, SNORKEL AND HAVE LUNCH FROM 10AM UNTIL ABOUT 3PM AND RETURN TO BELIZE CITY AROUND 3:30PM.

Also, where do you go? WE WILL EITHER GO BY GALLOW’S POINT OR SERGEANT’S CAYE.

I know that can change with the weather. Is there any beach time on one of the cayes or is the whole time in the boat? I guess what I'm looking for is an itinerary of the trip.

As I'm sure you know, tendering is a pain. I saw on your description of where you're located that we need to be at your office by 9. I don't see how that's possible with our ship getting there at 8, then having to wait for the ship excursion people to get off, then the 20 min. boat ride, not to mention the walk to your office... THOSE TIMES ARE EST, AND LOCAL TIME WILL BE ONE HOUR BEHIND IN DEC.

Archived