Pre-cruise stay in Ft. Lauderdale

kmawani

I am going to be sailing on the Solstice on 5th Dec. My g/f and I are staying in Ft. Lauderdale for a couple of days before the cruise. I have a couple of questions for Ft. Lauderdale residents:

1. Is the Sawgrass Mills Mall really far from the Hilton located at 505 N. Ft. Lauderdale Blvd? Also, is this mall really worth going the distance?

2. What are some of the good, reputable, big-box electronic stores (like Best Buy) in Ft. Lauderdale?

Given that the Canadian $ is almost at par with the US and that prices tend to be much lower for similar items in the US, I am looking to buy a few things. Mostly clothes and electronics.

Thanks in advance for you help.

I'd say that it depends upon how much you like to shop, and then, whether or not you plan to rent a car... I've read that Sawgrass is the fifth or sixth largest mall in the United States... And it truly is amazing; have a look at their website if you haven't done so...

But assuming that your hotel is on North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard [i think I know the one], it's at least a fifteen mile trek west--you're headed to the Everglades--if you were to head out Sunrise Boulevard [via local roads] and a bit further if you were to use Interstate 595 West [which you could pick up by the airport/cruseport]... I've seen municipal buses stop there [don't know the details; check the website for Broward County Transit] but expect that it might be a rather lengthy odyssey... I'd guess that taxi would be quite expensive...

There is a Brandsmart USA--equivalent to Best Buy--at Sawgrass...

That said, there is a Best Buy on North Federal Highway in Fort Lauderdale; it's significantly closer to the beach and local bus/taxi would be far easier/less expensive... And similarly, there is a very nice mall--The Galleria--on East Sunrise Boulevard that would be far more easily accessible--again, by bus or taxi--for clothing and the like.

Much of Sawgrass offers outlet shopping at outlet prices; The Galleria [i haven't looked but would guess they have a website listing the stores there] is retail and trends upscale...

Hope this helps...

I live about a mile away from the Sawgrass Mall. It is not close, but not a bad ride if you have a car. You can just take I-595 from east to west and get off at flamingo road. Should take about 20-25 minutes, just do not do it during afternoon rush hour.

There is a best buy store on sunrise blvd just east of flamingo very close to the mall.

I do not care for the mall myself, but it depends on what you like. When it first opened years ago there were bargains, not so much anymore. It has turned more into a tourist attraction. There are so many nice things to see and do here in ft lauderdale, unless you are a real mall lover, find something else to spend your time with! Ther is an electronics store in the mall called brandsmart. You can find some bargains on electronics there.

Good luck!

I am going to be sailing on the Solstice on 5th Dec. My g/f and I are staying in Ft. Lauderdale for a couple of days before the cruise. I have a couple of questions for Ft. Lauderdale residents:

1. Is the Sawgrass Mills Mall really far from the Hilton located at 505 N. Ft. Lauderdale Blvd? Also, is this mall really worth going the distance?

2. What are some of the good, reputable, big-box electronic stores (like Best Buy) in Ft. Lauderdale?

Given that the Canadian $ is almost at par with the US and that prices tend to be much lower for similar items in the US, I am looking to buy a few things. Mostly clothes and electronics.

We like Sawgrass and usually visit it when in Ft Lauderdale if we have more than just overnight b/f a cruise. But, unless you are renting a car to go out there from where you are staying, it wouldn't be worth the trip.

We did find some bargains at the Brandsmart store on our last visit, even over Best Buy, which we do have here at home, and my husband ended up buying a portable DVD player that he'd been wanting for travel. Hope that helps.

Just a comment on outlet malls ... many of them are now offering products that are made especially for the "factory" stores. In particular, clothing stores often sell a product that has never seen a regular store. Just something to think about when you're shopping. I've learned to have a pretty critical eye when looking at clothes and accessories in the outlet stores. There are certain stores where it's still a great bargain (I've had good luck at Brooks Brothers and Coach stores).

Archived