Help! My 20-year-old son needs fashion advice

DBG258RTR

We will be going on the Mariner in March (western carib). This is my sons first cruise. What do young men his age wear during the day for casual wear? We're from Vermont, and he is used to wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. Please help us. Thanks.

Have never been on RCCL, but jeans have always been seen on the cruises I've taken. This is, of course, during the day.

It might be too warm to wear jeans. You might try stocking up on some shorts in nicer materials, like Dockers, and polo shirts. I usually take one pair of jeans just in case we hit a cold snap or have a more active (read: likely to get dirty) shore excursion planned.

In a sweatshirt or jeans. Have him take what he wears on hot summer days in Vermont, usually shorts and Ts, a couple of bathing suits. As a matter of fact, he should leave the jeans at home, or just wear them on the plane each way. The ships request that you do not wear jeans or T shirts to the dining room in the evening. He will need to get a pair or two of Docker style pants and some button up shirts.

Time for him to expand his wardrobe!

Have a fun cruise, BTW, I'm originally from Vermont and have plenty of cousins still there, it's a beautiful place.

I would also reccomend leaving your son's jeans behind. I am 21 and have been planning my boyfriend's cruise wardrobe for him. I have written a list for him including kakhis, kakhi and white shorts, several polo shirts (bright fun colors!), a suit, and a couple lightweight button down shirts. (And while I have tried to convince him otherwise, he insists on bringing his huge gold aviator sunglasses! Yikes! :eek: )

have him check out http://www.hollisterco.com they have great swim shorts and khaki shorts and polo shirts. My almost 17 year old son is a fashion slave. He loves the clothes from Hollister for casual stuff, and for dressy things, he likes Banana Republic or Express. They have some great button down shirts that look great with khaki slacks or jeans. My son wasn't allowed to wear jeans into the dining room at night, but he wore his khakis with a polo shirt or button down shirt. And for formal nights, he has a classic black suit. During the day, he lived in his swim trunks and flip flops (and a t-shirt to throw on when walking through the lido and other common areas !)

My husband is 26. He lives in shorts by day, but we've found that Abercrombie pants work well with collared linen button downs or crisp polos. Also closed-toe leather sandals work well and keep things cool and casual. For formal nights, he usually wore a suit, but often lost the jacket after about 5 minutes.

I totally agree! Swimtrunks and nicer t-shirts for during the day, around the pool, nice shorts (ie no holes or fringeies but anything else would work) and a nice t-shirt , polo style shirt, or short sleeve button down for non-pool time would be perfect. IMHO, the most important thing is for him to be comforable with what he's wearing and not feel like he has been "dressed".

I have a 20 year old son. He has cruised 10 times. Day wear would be a bathing suit with his college or fraternity tshirt. Can be a collarless t shirt. Casual dinners is khaki pants or black pants with a collared button down shirt with a white t shirt underneath. He wears a suit to formal nights. He brings a pair of dress shoes that he wears with his khakis or suit. He wears beach thongs during the day. If he is exercising he wears gym shorts and sleeveless t shirt with gym shoes. He also brings shorts and tshirts for daily wear if he is not swimming. Hope this helps.

Archived