Upsell - Upgrade

vowsatsea

My husband and I will be going on our first Norwegian cruise in March (shh, it's a secret!). I notice a lot of posts on here about upgrades and upsells, and the like. How exactly does that work for NCL? How would you find out about an upsell opportunity? Is it more common on NCL, because I've only been upgraded once on all the cruises with other lines.

My husband and I will be going on our first Norwegian cruise in March (shh, it's a secret!). I notice a lot of posts on here about upgrades and upsells, and the like. How exactly does that work for NCL? How would you find out about an upsell opportunity? Is it more common on NCL, because I've only been upgraded once on all the cruises with other lines.

Getting an upsell is like winning the lottery - hard to predict and chances are not that good. NCL may at its descretion choose to offer certain cabins the option to upgrade to another cabin for a higher fee. Typically NCL does this a few weeks before sailing i.e. last minute, when most likely it has little chance to sell excess inventory. The extra money generated is revenue for NCL it otherwise wouldn't have received. I started a thread about NCL upsell patterns, but honestly no one truly knows how NCL goes about it's last minute upsells. It could be that you booked very early, or that you are a Plantinum lattitudes member, or they need your specific cabin category - it's part of the NCL mystery. If you are selected for an upsell, your TA will contact you. Most ships have 2000+ passeners, and there maybe only a handfull of "upsells" each cruise - so again, the odds are that you won't be contacted for an upsell. In a few cases, when prices drop significantly after your final payment has been made, you may have cause to contact your TA to see if NCL will give you an upgrade - different than an upsell. Like you I would hope to be one of the lucky ones that get the upsell call - but I won't be sitting by the phone waiting ;) .

Archived