Question for Travel Agents

Starry Nights

How long can you keep a specific cabin on hold for a prospective guest? I am looking at a Solstice cruise in January and the final payment date is in 12 days. There is a particular AQ cabin that I would like to reserve but I think that the price will drop after final payment date as there are a number of cabins available.

It is so close to the final payment date that I will be severely frosted if I buy it now and the price drops a bunch in the next two-three weeks. On the other hand, I don't really want to lose this particular location.

Is there any way to do a continuous series of holds, or to extend a hold? How long can you ethically hold a cabin? I don't want to ask my TA to do anything unprincipled, so I didn't even want to bring up the question with her without bringing the subject to this forum first.

Thanks for your help!

How long can you keep a specific cabin on hold for a prospective guest? I am looking at a Solstice cruise in January and the final payment date is in 12 days. There is a particular AQ cabin that I would like to reserve but I think that the price will drop after final payment date as there are a number of cabins available.

It is so close to the final payment date that I will be severely frosted if I buy it now and the price drops a bunch in the next two-three weeks. On the other hand, I don't really want to lose this particular location.

Is there any way to do a continuous series of holds, or to extend a hold? How long can you ethically hold a cabin? I don't want to ask my TA to do anything unprincipled, so I didn't even want to bring up the question with her without bringing the subject to this forum first.

Thanks for your help!

How long a cabin can be held depends on a number of factors - availability and timing being the two most important. Can you say the date, because TAs can find that out for you by doing a dummy booking? Sometimes TAs can extend the hold, but not for very much longer - a day or two at most.

But honestly, if you are picky about a cabin, don't wait. If you aren't picky, then wait. There are dangers in both choices, but it depends on what is more important to you - cabin or price.

This close to final, it's doubtful you'd be able to hold it long. Someone else can scoop it up while you hesitate, as well.

Officially, without calling in, if you booked right now, it could be held until Oct. 20th. They might extend it a day or two, but no more. Hope that helps you make a decision. This is with the Jan. 9/11 sailing - took a guess at it, but it would be similar for dates close to it.

My TA held a cabin for 5 days for us. It did not take us that long to decide and put a deposit down, but she could have held a specific cabin for us from September 22 through the 27th. I do NOT use a web-based TA, but an in person, visited her at her office TA who is part of a local chain of travel agencies.

My TA held a cabin for 5 days for us. It did not take us that long to decide and put a deposit down, but she could have held a specific cabin for us from September 22 through the 27th. I do NOT use a web-based TA, but an in person, visited her at her office TA who is part of a local chain of travel agencies.

It all depends on sail date and cabin availability. The further the cruise is away, then, generally speaking, the longer a cabin can be held. I have held cabins for 2 weeks. But, this close to final, all bets are off. If the cruise is becoming sold out, same thing.

This might be a case of, you snooze you lose.

You can put a hold on it yourself on the Celebrity website. Proceed as if you are booking the cruise. At the end it will ask if you want to book now or put a hold on it. Repeat as needed when the hold expires.

How long a cabin can be held depends on a number of factors - availability and timing being the two most important. Can you say the date, because TAs can find that out for you by doing a dummy booking? Sometimes TAs can extend the hold, but not for very much longer - a day or two at most.

But honestly, if you are picky about a cabin, don't wait. If you aren't picky, then wait. There are dangers in both choices, but it depends on what is more important to you - cabin or price.

This close to final, it's doubtful you'd be able to hold it long. Someone else can scoop it up while you hesitate, as well.

Thanks very much for all the helpful answers.

The Solstice cruise that I'm interested in is January 16th. I have asked my TA to put the cabin on hold today, but apparently she can only hold it until October 20th, as we are getting close to final payment date. If a TA can only hold it a day at a time, I certainly wouldn't ask her to keep "re-holding" the cabin just so I can get a better price after final payment date.

There are quite a few AQ cabins available, so I'm pretty sure there will be a price drop after final payment date. I think I'll let the hold go, and book if and when the price drops. I'd like the better location, but I think the price was raised for the October 13-15 promotion, and I think there will be a price drop.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if I regret this decision.

I miss the days when you could feel secure booking early, even if you felt the price was artificially high at the time. The fact that we can no longer count on getting a price reduction or OBC if the price drops after PFD will mean that I just book fewer cruises. Kind of sad. :(

Again, thanks to everyone for your help.

I don't believe that Celebrity will lower the price right before final payment - they know what they are doing. ;) TAs can only extend holds to a point. They may allow it past the option date once for an extra day, MAYBE another extra day if you beg;), but this close to final, not for long enough to truly make any difference.

I did a courtesy hold 3 consecutive times on the Celebrity website. The last time, I called one of the big online agents ($300 OBC) and while on the phone with her, released it and she was able to grab it. Doesn't always work, if there is a request for a specific category or room, it could disappear and not become available. Also, I got several calls from Celebrity agents during the time I had it on hold but just told them I hadn't decided yet.

as a p/t travel agent, let me tell you that we sometimes know when cruise lines are having a sale before the general public does. Remember, you should never pay more by using a full service travel agent.....you might just pay less...and more importantly have the expertise of someone who has probably been on that ship..........and a person you can go back to should there be a problem.

Celebrity does allow a courtesy hold for a short period time. That being said your interests would be better served if you ask your T/A. He /she will tell you what can and cannot be done. Personally, If I wanted a particular cabin I would book it now and not worry about future price drops. If you don't you could lose it.

Once we have booked we don't worry about price drops. If something comes our way great, if not that's ok too. We have a cruise budget and as long as we stay within it we don't care if someone gets a better deal than us. Over time it all evens out.

Book your cabin, enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the small stuff.:)

Celebrity does allow a courtesy hold for a short period time. That being said your interests would be better served if you ask your T/A. He /she will tell you what can and cannot be done. Personally, If I wanted a particular cabin I would book it now and not worry about future price drops. If you don't you could lose it.

Once we have booked we don't worry about price drops. If something comes our way great, if not that's ok too. We have a cruise budget and as long as we stay within it we don't care if someone gets a better deal than us. Over time it all evens out.

Book your cabin, enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the small stuff.:)

I've decided to wait it out and see what happens.

This is my first cruise booked after the change in policy re: "no more OBC for price drops after final payment".

It isn't a matter of great importance whether I get on this cruise or not. I think the price is higher than it will be in two weeks, so that will be my gamble.

If I really cared about the better balcony, I would have booked and paid for it at the prevailing price, and felt lucky to have snapped up a great balcony and location.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have appreciated hearing your perspective.

Archived