Princess Tabayana Beach excursion...feedback?

cruz guy

Trying to decide whether to do the Tabayana Beach excursion through Princess or a private operator.

My understanding is that with Princess there are shuttles running back in the afternoon. Are there shuttles in the morning also, or is a set leaving time?

Is the lunch worth the extra cost?

How crowded is it? I wondered if it would be less crowded be going with a private vendor and being at a different part of the beach.

Would love to hear all suggestions.

I've been to Tabayana beach through the cruise line twice now. I love that beach so much I stayed until the last shuttle so I'm not sure how early you can get a shuttle back. I never tried the lunch because we had to be back on the ship by 2:30 so we just waited to eat.

A private tour operator will probably take you on a tour of the island before dropping you at the beach which would be a plus. I will probably do that next time.

If you like to snorkel, bring your gear--it's fantastic!

I did it through Princess and felt the service / shuttle times / etc worked really well for me. The shuttle went back and forth all day. Its a drive, so I'm most comfortable booking with Princess.

Saw the biggest/brightest fish of my life while snorkeling there and will always remember that beach for that reason ... but the food (ugh!) don't pay extra for that. The beach is crowded, rows and rows of chairs, but the people on site are very helpful to clean your chair and get drinks.

I did it through Princess and felt the service / shuttle times / etc worked really well for me. The shuttle went back and forth all day. Its a drive, so I'm most comfortable booking with Princess.

Saw the biggest/brightest fish of my life while snorkeling there and will always remember that beach for that reason ... but the food (ugh!) don't pay extra for that. The beach is crowded, rows and rows of chairs, but the people on site are very helpful to clean your chair and get drinks.

Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid it would be very crowded. Its hard enjoying a beautiful beach setting amidst rows and rows of chairs.

Wonder if i would be better off booking with a private operator. How were the crowds outside the gate where you would meet up with a private operator?

I didn't see any vendors outside (but then again, I wasn't looking). We hopped right onto our tour bus and left the port area.

I'd either book through the cruiseline or book online now through an independent operator (but then if the ship misses the port or something changes, you're out of luck).

I didn't see any vendors outside (but then again, I wasn't looking). We hopped right onto our tour bus and left the port area.

I'd either book through the cruiseline or book online now through an independent operator (but then if the ship misses the port or something changes, you're out of luck).

Thanks! I am assuming you were on the Princess excursion. Did you find it crowded?

Still debating on a private operator or the Princess offered excursion. I understand that to meet up with any of the private operators, you have to climb a steep hill to go right out side the port area. Wondered how chaotic it is???

I think it is best if you have a private operator booked ahead of time. We used Rony's Tours a few weeks ago and had a great experience going to West Bay and Infinity Bay Resort (bought a day pass). Rony's father was our driver and stayed with us the entire time. Had two others join us from our roll call so the van was ours. We had been to Roatan before and wasn't interested in seeing monkeys, ziplining etc. but on Rony's website, it details all of the trips he offers and you can customize.

I think it is best if you have a private operator booked ahead of time. We used Rony's Tours a few weeks ago and had a great experience going to West Bay and Infinity Bay Resort (bought a day pass). Rony's father was our driver and stayed with us the entire time. Had two others join us from our roll call so the van was ours. We had been to Roatan before and wasn't interested in seeing monkeys, ziplining etc. but on Rony's website, it details all of the trips he offers and you can customize.

Thanks! Maybe I'll look that up and compare it with the Princess excursion.

If the driver stays with you, then it seems you could go back early if you want to. How was the climb up the hill?

Thanks! Maybe I'll look that up and compare it with the Princess excursion.

If the driver stays with you, then it seems you could go back early if you want to. How was the climb up the hill?

We were on the Epic and docked at the Port of Coxen Hole not Mahogany Bay but you can still check Rony's site as it details tours from Mahogany also. Tell Rony that Linda VanHoose sent you his way.

And, yes, we were able to dictate what time we wanted to leave etc. We ended up having a private shuttle but didn't book it that way. We did the shared shuttle when making the reservation but it ended up being private. If you book a private tour, it will cost more. Our cost was the same as the shared shuttle -- $20 roundtrip per person, paid at the end when we returned to the ship.

Archived