Diving in Cayman

Huffdaland

• 2 weeks later...
Have 8 to 12 advanced divers with me arriving week of April 10th on NCL. Thought about chartering a dive boat. Also, will need some equipment. Would like to do North Wall, etc. Any thought or experiences chartering? Thanks in advance.

I found our ship did not make it into GC in time for us to make arrangements to go diving on our own through a local dive op. Problem was we were tendering into port, and all the shore tours were being tendered onto the island first. We had to wait - I believe it was until 9am - before the ship could get us onto to shore.

As a result, we ended up doing a very nice, and easy shore dive at the Seaview wall - walking distance from the tender stop - about a 15 minute hike up to the Seaview B&B. We got tanks and weights, but otherwise had our own gear. Did two very enjoyable dives - I think we paid around $45 for four tanks and weights (dirt cheap for a two tank dive).

We have since vacationed in GC, and yes, there are many better dives available. But for the money and effort saved, I'd do this again in a heart beat. Some of the best pictures I have were taken here.

Your other option is to book your dives through the ship. From what I have heard, the dive ops on the island who work for the cruise lines really make an effort to put more advanced divers together with a separate dm, and the groups tend to be smaller. The only reason we didn't book our dives through the ship was on account of the price - very inflated. The dollar is not as strong in the Caymans, but Royal Caribbean was charging over $100 for a two tank dive - I could do the same on my own for $75! Heck, we spent $45 for a two tank dive in Cozumel the next day - through DWM.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a large enough group, and you seem to, then chartering your own boat is definitely the way to go. You will get to control the size of the group on the boat, know everyone on the boat, and probably get to choose the dive sites you will visit (weather permitting of course). Most dive op's that have a boat for charter also have gear available for rent, or can easily arrange for it. If they can't, I would keep looking.

HERE is a list of 33 dive operations on Grand Cayman. Surely you will be able to find one that will work for you and your group.

And like suggested above, shore diving is always an option. I'd look at http://www.divetech.com and see what they offer for shore diving.

Archived