Sheraton or Marina Hotel in San Pedro?

sassycat

THANK YOU very much for posting the information about the Sheraton San Pedro not being a Sheraton after March 31st. We were booked there using Sheraton points for April 3rd. After reading your posting, I called the hotel and asked if they would honor our reservation. The girl said she didn't think so, no they wouldn't, and suggested I call Starwood. I called Starwood, and they called the manager of the hotel, who was on duty this afternoon, and he said "Absolutely Not!!". He did offer that I could call and book using a credit card. I declined, and cancelled our reservation. I'm wondering if they are going to honor ANY reservations made through Starwood or Sheraton........ Anyone booked there, might want to reconfirm their room, or have their travel agent reconfirm their room, if their stay begins after March 31st.

Thanks, again...........I can just see us showing up on the 3rd, and not having any place to stay! :(

I am so glad that updates are being posted. I am going to wait until after April 1 to call them so I can get a straight answer. In the meantime, I have made a backup reservation in Long Beach. Doesn't sound like they really know what they are doing... I do feel for the employees, as being part of a sale is not a good experience.

DesrtDrmr - I am so glad you called since your stay is so close to the changeover date! Yikes!

I called the Sheraton today regarding my December reservation and they were nice as can be. They said they would honor my reservation even though it was thru Starwood. They also said they would honor the great rate I was able to get with Starwood since we booked a year in advance. So I am happy now. They said they probably will not be a Sheraton after April 1. They are not sure which type of hotel they will be though. But they will honor reservations made thru Starwood which was their on line booking engine before.

I'm glad for you, bluehorizonlover.............it must be that they just wont honor the award reservations. It will be interesting to see what flag they'll be flying. Hope you'll post a report after your cruise.................that hotel is in a convenient location. I'm also glad that they were nice. The onsite reservation person I spoke to yesterday, was not very helpful at all.

I will return to this thread and update as I learn more. I think in San Pedro this will be the nicest hotel there. It will be all newly remodeled. The area around the hotel is not so nice though, kind of like a bad neighborhood but the hotel is supposedly nice. We plan on going to an early dinner and then back to the hotel. So I hope we will be safe walking back to the hotel after dinner.

Who ever stays at the Sheraton next please report back. I just called them regarding a reservation for October 15th and I asked for a rate and was not told about them not being a Sheraton anymore (the website now says May 31). A nice lady asked me if I was going on a cruise. I said "yes". She said they have a "Fly and Sail promotion". $199.00 for a night, which includes, pick up at LAX, room, two buffet breakfasts, a bottle of cider or wine, and transfers to the ship and back to LAX after the cruise. I figure that means I am paying about $85.00 for the room. I asked about renovations and she said they are remodeling the rooms and they will be done at the end of March. She hesitated a little regarding the remodeling. Someone please post after staying there so we all know. I might just stay in Long Beach and take a taxi over the morning of the cruise. I stayed in a really bad hotel once before a cruise and I was up all night. I won't do that again.

I have a reservation at the Sheraton for the night of 3/20 ...this coming up Sunday night. I will write and let you know how it went, ...I won't be home until the following weekend though.

Sidenote: I booked the Park and Sail package, ...for 149.00, it includes free parking, breakfast for 2, and complimentary wine or cider. Will my room be on the Club level? Or should I request that now, ..if there's enough time?

Thanks,

Sara:D

Well I called the Sheraton and the lady was quite helpful. I confirmed my reservation and everything was just fine, ..I asked about being on the club level, ..that I found out is $10 more than the initial Park and Sail price of $149. Unfortunetly for me, ..it was already sold out, but she was more than willing to put me down in case there's a cancellation.

Ps. The Park and Sail also includes Valet! :D

It used to be a Hilton. We stayed there in 2003. I preferred the Sheraton which I had stayed in twice in 2002. HOWEVER, I got the Hilton (now Marina) through Priceline for $45 with FREE parking for 10 nights. So, no complaints from me! In fact, I didn't see the negative stuff in the rooms, so maybe it has changed since it's not a Hilton any longer. They also had a free shuttle that would take you within 5 miles of the hotel. We went to dinner that night and they took us and picked us up. Same to the port and back. If the Sheraton had been part of Priceline, believe me, I would have loved that even more. But, for one night, $45 was fine with us! :)

We stayed at the Marina the week before Christmas and were very disappointed. While the service was excellent, and the view of the harbour was lovely, the condition of the room was terrible.

There were hideous (I shudder to think what) stains on the bed covers, the carpet and the furniture. The sheets were too small for the beds and kept coming untucked. The arms of the easy chair were worn & shredded, one of the casters kept falling off the ottoman, the bathtub was stained, wouldn't drain, and there were terrible cracks in the tile. Wallpaper was peeling, drapes not attached to the traverse rod, etc....I could go on & on.

It appears that all the money for renovations has gone into the public areas, as the rooms (we looked in the open doors of others that were being cleaned) definitely need to be refurbished.

I've heard that this used to be a Doubletree, but it's definitely gone downhill from there. And this place is NOT cheap! I don't mind paying their rates, but would expect a reasonably clean room in decent condition.

Oh, and not to forget - there was a loud, festive party going on at the building next to the marina, so we were treated (?) to loud, hispanic music until almost 2:00am. NOT a good way to start out a cruise!

Just bumping this up to see if anyone has stayed at the Sheraton (or what ever flag they are flying) in San Pedro in the last couple of weeks? We are booked for one night precruise on 4/13 and are getting a little concerned.

Thanks,

:confused:

I've never tried Priceline before and I'm hesitant to try it this time around.

I'm not sure if Canadians can even use it.

I have used Priceline a few times. I was able to get the Toronto Airport Marriott for $30 US twice, the Raddison in Mississagua for $25 US, and the Hyatt Regency in Miami for $28 US.

I have also rented a "Premium" Car in Miami for $25.00/day US.

It works great for Canadians.

Check out biddingfortravel.com & they will explain how a Canadian registers with Priceline.

Happy Sailings!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Gayla, Can you explain the process to get to the hotel from LAX? Is there a hotel shuttle, or do you have to get a cab, or pay for a shuttle, etc.? Does the Marina Hotel offer a shuttle to the pier? Do all the ships dock at this pier? We are cruising on the Vision of the Seas, Royal Carribbean in September. Thanks from a San Pedro newbie. jannyb

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a cruise out of LA. Just outside the doors of the baggage claim you can hook up with the shuttles. We opted for Super Shuttle and had a van within a couple of minutes - and this was about 5 p.m. Took us to the Sheraton in San Pedro $68 - for four of us. No reservations necessary and as a matter of fact, I heard the shuttle coordinator tell someone it was actually easier if they did not pre-pay and reserve a particular time. After the cruise, we again caught a shuttle just outside the pier - went to the Super Shuttle people and they didn't have one handy - so flagged down another (VIP Shuttle??) for $54. The Sheraton was fine and the staff was very helpful and friendly. We took a taxi - since the hotel shuttle will only go to some places within San Pedro. ($20) to Long Beach for dinner at Bubba Gumps which was fun. Hope this helps!

I would love to hear from some cruisers that have stayed here recently. I have a room booked for pre-cruise but was concerned about ownership change. Need to find out if I need to cancel my backup reservation in Long Beach.

Thanks!

I didn't get the impression that the rooms had been remodeled/refurbished, but they were certainly clean, and adequately furnished. For the proximity to the LA pier - I am not sure you could beat the Sheraton - or whatever it will be. Make sure that your cruise leaves from the LA pier (San Pedro) - not the Long Beach pier, though.

Archived