Splendor - The Chef’s Table Experience

big_duck

I was at this Chef's Table with Don and the only no photo message the Chef gave us was no pictures in the galley. He said anywhere else was fine.

As for the shoe question, I was in heels as those were the only closed toe shoes that I have that aren't flats. And given the pants I wore, there was no way I could have worn flats unless I wanted to walk around with my pants cuffed. I didn't have any issues walking but was also very conscious of the grates in the floor. Plus the bottom of my shoes are pretty rubberized so I felt ok about not slipping on anything.

As for the pics being posted, can't people just not read a thread if they want to save the surprise (just a question, no sarcasm intended)? I'm not trying to start a debate but it seems pretty easy to close a thread....similar to how I have to avoid spoilers online for many things, since I am on the West Coast. If it's information that people are looking for, there are a number of other threads from which it can be obtained.

But, like Mach mentioned, it could very well be up to the individual chef. And I will add that I really enjoyed ours. We're going to do this again on our Miracle sailing so it'll be interesting to see how the 2 compare.

It all looks delicious ! I've booked (I think, computer dork here), but I still have time before my cruise to get it all sorted out if I messed up the request on John Heald's blog..

I'm not worried about shoes.. what I have to bring on board for this is a pair of dressy slacks with a stretchy waistband! It would be uncouth to pop a button in the middle of this dining experience !:p

If you have heels you really need to watch were you walk. There are grates all over the place.

Thanks for telling us that Duckie!! :eek:

You may have just saved me from a broken ankle!!!!

Lots of places where you can stub your toes and say bad words.

LOL...True. It's pretty automatic for me to toss out something horrific after stubbing my toe.

I have this booked for the Liberty in 3 weeks... so the chef will come talk to us the first night :eek:........ my hubby has no idea about this as it is a surprise for him. :p I going to book a spa shave for him that day of the dinner and then take him for this dinner.... hmmm now i have some fast thinking to do ..... just may slip our waiter a note so the chef does not give away the surprise, hopefully my husband will not clue in....

PS one question... i know about the wine coming with the dinner (I am not a wine drinker) but I do enjoy a beer may I order beer with dinner or can i bring one with me before we do the gallery tour.

I can hardy wait and thank you for the pictures, they do like nice but smell is also part of the presentation.

Chef chatted with each of us and determined what our personal likes and dislikes were so he could tailor the menu for individuals with allergies or specific tastes (like no seafood - right Jimmy).

My wife has been trying to sell me on this for our cruise in March. After looking at the general menu I was less than enthused at the cost since I dislike seafood. This line in your review has probably sold me on it, and I love rare lamb :)

Sorry if I'm missing this in the thread: I'm booked on the Splendor in January how can I pre-book? I checked on the Carnival website and you can only book the steakhouse.

I booked both the Steakhouse & the Chef's Table on the same request. I just added remarks that I wanted to reserve for theChef's Table. I received two separate emails confirming my reservations.

Loved the pictures!! When I don't want to see something because it'll ruin the surprise, just don't open the link :rolleyes:

Sorry if I'm missing this in the thread: I'm booked on the Splendor in January how can I pre-book? I checked on the Carnival website and you can only book the steakhouse.

Go to http://johnhealdsblog.com/ go to the latest article.

Scroll down (or read the blog) to the comment sections and submit a comment that says "Request for Chef's Table Reservation". Put in your name, the ship, cabin number and booking number.

You should hear back in a couple of days that your reservation has been accepted.

This was just the 4th or 5th Splendor cruise with it. Our evening was the Tuesday, but they hold a second night later in the cruise on Friday (or Saturday not sure). You meet the Chef at the lobby bar at 6:30 PM (right Jimmy).

You may have convinced me to actually do this with your pictures. I'm not able to eat large portions and always thought it would be such a waste, but I think these are doable.

You may have convinced me to actually do this with your pictures. I'm not able to eat large portions and always thought it would be such a waste, but I think these are doable.

Actually the plates are really, really big...

... just kidding.

Go to http://johnhealdsblog.com/ go to the latest article.

Scroll down (or read the blog) to the comment sections and submit a comment that says "Request for Chef's Table Reservation". Put in your name, the ship, cabin number and booking number.

You should hear back in a couple of days that your reservation has been accepted.

Thanks BD. Question: When I leave my information on the blog, will everyone see my details? Also, there is no field for "title" when leaving a comment, only name, email and website. Am I in the right place? Sorry, first time doing htis...

Thanks BD. Question: When I leave my information on the blog, will everyone see my details? Also, there is no field for "title" when leaving a comment, only name, email and website. Am I in the right place? Sorry, first time doing htis...

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes you are in the right place on the blog page.

The blogs comments are all moderated by one of the 344 Stephanies (don't ask) all "please reply" and Chefs table requests are stripped out of the stream before the comments are published on the blog so no one will see your info.

Can I just jump in here and say that if you or your SO have limited palates, or if you are unwilling to try something new, you should not do this. My dear Jimmy only eats cow, chicken and pig, and only if it is well-done (i.e., cook the snot out of it), and he won't be doing the Chef's Table again (nor will I allow him to, but for other reasons). ;) You do not get to ask for chicken fingers if you don't like the appetizer placed in front of you.

Chef did an amazing job of preparing a substitute for every seafood dish the rest of us were served, however, if you only like over-cooked meat, you are not going to like steak tar tar.

The wine choices were amazing. I loved the red wine, and I have never tasted a red wine I enjoyed.

I can't wait to participate in another Chef's Table. Duckie, the pictures were amazing. :D

ETA: Almost forgot. I only had high-heeled, open-toed shoes to wear. I was fine walking around, but as Duck said, there were many hazards in the kitchen to watch out for. Dress ranged from semi-formal to very casual - your choice.

Thanks for the great review. I was undecided about booking the Chef's Table, for the same reason as someone else - I wasn't sure how much food was involved - but now that I know the portions aren't that huge, I have gone ahead and put in my request for the second week of my B2B cruise. I've booked the Steakhouse for one night during the first week so something delicious to look forward to both weeks. :D

In regards to posting the pics and spoiling the "wow" factor for others:

Well , I read on another thread about the chefs table and went right to the blog and requested a reservation not seeing any pics or any other information. Then my boss got back from her cruise and she had pics of her Chef's table experience.......very impressive!!!! Just made me want it more! Then...I see this thread and pics and now I am SUPER excited about our reservations on the Imagination in Decmeber!!! It was only a few days later that I received the email confirming our reservation!! I am so exicted and impressed that I was able to get the reservation, with this getting so popular and on the shorter cruises them only offering it once, I feel pretty darn lucky that my DH, myself and my sister inlaw are among the 12 that get to enjoy such an unusual experience!

The pics have not spoiled it for me one bit!! It has just made me even more excited to see what the chef is going to present on our special night!:D

We just got back from the Paradise. Our "Chef's Table" was excellent, with almost the exact menu. The only difference I noticed between ours and the one written about was the price - ours was $75 per person. At the end of the day, it was as good, if not better than the "Steak House".

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes you are in the right place on the blog page.

The blogs comments are all moderated by one of the 344 Stephanies (don't ask) all "please reply" and Chefs table requests are stripped out of the stream before the comments are published on the blog so no one will see your info.

Thanks for your help! I received my confirmation!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived