Hotel or Rail Station-Luggage Storage in London

anarresa

Hi,

We're flying overnight Boston to Heathrow and will arrive early on a Friday morning (6:45am). We're going to spend the day sightseeing a bit until we have to crash and find a hotel near Liverpool Street Station to take the train to Harwich the following morning. I'm more interested in finding a place to store our luggage than where exactly we'll be staying for one night. I'm having a hard time finding hotels that state they will store luggage prior to check-in, and I don't want to have to call or email a bunch of places. Does anyone know of a hotel that definitely stores luggage prior to check in, or know how much the "left luggage" charge is at Liverpool Street Station (because it does say left luggage is available, it just doesn't seem to say how much it is)? Thanks for any help!

Unfortunately a single company has a near monopoly on left luggage offices at all London railway stations and its airports. Current charges are 8 GBP per bag for 24 hours, then 4 GBP for subsequent 24 hour periods.

Select the more info link on this page for opening times etc.

http://www.left-baggage.co.uk/locations.php

Liverpool Street is in London's financial district, so expect hotel rates attuned to financial people and their bonuses. Though if you're staying at the weekend when the area is a virtual ghost town rates come down to realstic levels.

Hotels are notoriously shy about stating their services on their web sites, seem more interested in marketing speak and lots of stuff that will win a design award than provide information for punters.

In my experience all the 4 stars will offer a service if you stay overnight though the level of security on your luggage varies wildly from a full safe room with ticketing to suitcases just tossed in an area which anybody can access.

In either case you're best advised to email the hotel and get in writing the services offered.

The Crowne Plaza Shoreditch is quite near Liverpool Street and the Andaz (a Hyatt place) would be the ultimate in convenience (and price)

If you're spending the day sightseeing, I would for get the Liverpool Street area and get a taxi there in the morning of the train.

Somewhere around Paddington might be a good place, 15 minutes on the train from Heathrow. All these good hotels are around Paddington and the Big Bus HoHO sightseeing buses pick up at Paddington Station.

In order of price:

Hilton Paddington, Marriott Marble Arch, Hotel Indigo, Quality Crown Paddington, Hilton Metropole, Commodore Hotel, Darlington Hyde Park.

Thanks for your response. 8 pounds per bag is higher than I've paid here, but what isn't in London:rolleyes: I really wanted to make sure it wasn't $40 or something per bag. I'm going to look for a hotel now based on rate, and was going to ask when I've narrowed it down about luggage storage and conditions.

I'm with a group of 4, which is why I preferred to just walk to the train station with our luggage than try to squeeze in a taxi or get a car. And I've often stayed in business area hotels on weekends and actually enjoy it. They aren't so busy or crowded, don't seem more expensive (though that could definitely be a weekend rate thing), are less likely to have kids, and I always make use of public transportation wherever I go so nothing is too far. I'll peek at other areas on nearby lines but the morning of the cruise I want the least obstacles.

Archived