Glory Stuck In Nassau............

nassaucruiser

I am curious as to what those who cruised the glory the week of 2/19 would accept as reasonable compensation.I would like to see a 50% cash credit on my credit card or a 100% credit on a future cruise.If a credit towards a cruise is given,then i would still spend money onboard and possibly an upgrade .Also,my faith in Carnival would stay intact.If no compensation is given,I will never sail with Carnival again.it's simple really.........it's up to Carnival to do the right thing

:confused: by the way......does anyone know the story of ******* NORMAN? no offence..but alot of folks thought he was kinda creepy.:confused:

Norman seemed like a great guy. He just enjoys cruising..... I think on a normal cruise he could get a party going. On this one not much could help. The only weird thing is he changed his attitude mid cruise and almost became an advocate for carnival. Sorry Norman - just thought it was strange. Enjoyed his company anyway!

Originally Posted by LDM

How convenient since Carnival has a 100% guarantee if you are disatisfied with your cruise before you reach your first port of call.

I read about two dozen people took advantage of the guarantee. Why did you not?

They took advantage of something else. Nobody could take advantage of the one I mentioned because we weren't informed of the problem UNTIL we got off at the first port. One your talking about is another thing CArnival offered: They would fly you to Orlando from Nassau. You then had to find your own way back to where you lived. They reimbursed you for 5 days. Lots of people could not take advantage of this because a) they couldn't get a flight out of Nassau, b) there were no hotels available in Orlando due to school vacation and the Daytona 500, c) you had to pay for a new flight out of Orlando.

I personally did not take advantage of what they offered because, this was my vacation. I am a school teacher and do not have the liberty to rebook whenever. I am limited to school breaks. Plus, as I said before, although the change of ports were disappointing, I still made the best of it and enjoyed myself. Again...for all of you who are responding to us as if we are out of mind for feeling disappointed....please put yourself in our shoes.

kjcamp - thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is simply amazing to me that a company as experienced as Carnival blew this so badly.

The vast majority of people want to feel like they are being heard and their frustrations understood. Carnival, in my opinion, could have done a lot to acknowledge the mechanical failures impact (sorry $100 shipboard credit is a throw away, you would get that if you wrote Carnival a letter of any kind as has been acknowledged elsewhere on this board.) Perhaps discounts on spa treatements, free neck massages on the Lido deck, free portraits,..... they are in the hospitality business, they have guest services experts to figure this stuff out.

Stay at any nice hotel and have a bad experience and see how you are treated, the management will generally fall all over itself to make you happy. In my opinion, this is no different.

People generally recognize when someone is going the extra mile to overcome an unfortunate situation. Can you please all the people all the time? Certainly not, but if most of the people were happy, the few nay-sayers would have shut up and dealt with their issues once on shore. They wouldn't have had had an interested audiance.

Good luck to all you 2/19 cruisers. Hope you get a more realistic compensation.

Karl

for all of you who are responding to us as if we are out of mind for feeling disappointed....please put yourself in our shoes.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that they wouldn't be disappointed. I would be. I'm sure we would all be. I, like you, would make the most of it. It's reading words like "angry" and "looking for compensation", or, like back in the Celebration fiasco, "sue" and "lawyers".

I read none of this in your posts.

I personally would enjoyed myself, and dealt with it directly with Carnival, individually. I have, and have always been pleased with the outcome.

I guess my question to all those who are complaining so vehemently would be the same as Mr. Pete's...

Originally Posted by MrPeteLI

I read about two dozen people took advantage of the guarantee. Why did you not?

Today is Sunday and we are back home unpacking. After making my post and reading others for those on Glory 2/19 I need to post thoughts on good things because there were some:

It was sunny everyday. It is cold at home and I wish i was in the sun.

I really miss the friends we made. The afternoon social hour amoung the aft cabins was great. My dinner companions were a riot. We so enjoyed their company. They had us in stiched most of the time.

The music in the Ivory club was wonderful - the bartender and wait staff in Ivory Club were so good. They remembered my folio number. ("That could be a bad sign - to many drinks").

Facing realty today is really a bummer. The sun in February is such good therapy...

. The only weird thing is he changed his attitude mid cruise and almost became an advocate for carnival. Sorry Norman - just thought it was strange. Enjoyed his company anyway!

Hey!! I guess he realized that being initially disappointed was a natural reaction, but then you have a CHOICE.

The choice is to stay miserable and wreck the whole freaking cruise, OR make the best of it and have a good time!

If everyone who was disappointed did the same, and the energy on that ship improved, along with everyone's attitude, all would have been a lot better.

Plus, as I said before, although the change of ports were disappointing, I still made the best of it and enjoyed myself. Again...for all of you who are responding to us as if we are out of mind for feeling disappointed....please put yourself in our shoes.

I don't think you are out of your mind for being disappointed at all...I think you did the right thing by making the best of it...some people didn't make the choice to do that and made their situation even worse.

I think to do what you did was wonderful...I don't know if you cruised with your family or not, but I know that if I were in your shoes, I'd have made the best of things, as you did not just for me, but for my kids as well. Kids HATE when their parents are pissed, annoyed or disappointed...they don't care about missed ports, all they care about is QUALITY family time. For me, if I were cruising without the kids..what would be important to me would be quality down time with my husband.

Being pissed off, and staying that way is a choice you make...that's my honest opinion.

Just got off the Glory yesterday. Paid and planned for St Thomas and St Maarten and got Freeport and Key West. They gave us 200.00 on board credit for use on the Glory....Big deal....

We are wondering what our recourse is....

any suggestions??????????????

I was on the Glory, Last week. The captain did Circles around Florida Coast. On Friday, when we got near Miami, A tender (boat) came out to the Glory from Miami to Deliver the NEW part for the ship. We were almost just Drifting along the Florida Coast all week. Word on the Ship has it, The Glory was already broken when it came back from its cruise two weeks ago. Then, all the Passengers got on, no word was said on the Glory being broken, Captain sails to Nassau, and then says Ship broken. If Carnival (captain) said ship will not sail to the other Islands, then people could have Cancelled the trip, and save Money, Some people come from Florida, and why should they pay for a trip Drifting around Florida Coast. Some thing should have been said to the Passengers Knowing the Ship was not sailing to St. Thomas. Some of us felt Trapped on the ship when we could have had options!! Remember, the the Ship was already broken when the Passengers we boarding!!!! Plus, people have cell phones, Calling travel Agents, Lawers, etc.. Some people going on the Glory next week were calling Carnival and Carnival said nothing was wrong with the ship!!!!! and we all were drifting along the Florida Coast...

clip....Word on the Ship has it, The Glory was already broken when it came back from its cruise two weeks ago. Then, all the Passengers got on, no word was said on the Glory being broken, Captain sails to Nassau, and then says Ship broken. clip...
Interesting observation, yet Caribbeancrazy posted that she got off 2/19 after a b2b, and noted no problems. I've reread the thread searching for FACTS, among all of the emotion. One key fact has not been mentioned. Was the Glory late in arriving in Nassau, and if so, how much? A significant arrival delay could indicate the problem occurred before Nassau.

In a post-mortem on any problem, who knew what, and when is vital to determine what action should have been taken.

"Word was that the ship was broken before we boarded"

Whose word? All you need is one person to say I bet they know there was a problem all along and then it gets passed around as fact.

Maybe they thought it could be fixed in Nassau but it couldn't.

If everyone got to the ship and found that the trip was cancelled what would most of them have done? If they came in by plane they couldn't have changed their tickets to leave early without losing money. They could have spent the week in Cocoa Beach if they were lucky enough to get a room which they would have had to pay for. But last week here was very crowded with lots of spring break people.

We've been here for two months and let me say I would rather being floating around on the the Glory with food and entertainment then spending 7 days here having to pay for a hotel and food etc.

I feel sorry for the crew that had to put up with all the complaining people. I wonder how many gave them extra tips for it.

Just got off the Glory yesterday. Paid and planned for St Thomas and St Maarten and got Freeport and Key West. They gave us 200.00 on board credit for use on the Glory....Big deal....

We are wondering what our recourse is....

any suggestions??????????????

Yes, chalk this vacation down in the column of trips that didn't go very well.....you will most likely have at least one worse trip in your lifetime and will most definitely have many better trips. You were lucky to get the $200 on board credit. When we sailed on the Elation we missed out on Cabo and got back to Long Beach 12 hours late. I think we got $50 or $100 cabin credit.....it was not the trip we had planned on but we still had a great time floating around out in the beautiful blue sea with the folks we love the most. I feel your best recourse is to rise above all the nasty remarks and just remember the good stuff.....the would be a great victory for you. :)

Precisely on point, Karl #152, and I'm speaking up. We were on the Glory cruise to next-to-nowhere, but made the best of it and our family had a good time despite the disappointment. The main issue is that the winky-dink reconfigured itinerary--a second stop in Freeport, Bahamas and Key West-- should result in a major discount to St. Thomas and St. Martaan and $100 pp obc is not even close.

Carnival could have likely made most passengers happy with a $200 pp obc and 50% off future cruise w/in 12 mos. We are a 2x cruiser on Royal Carribbean and thought we'd give Carnival a try. How they respond to this in the final reel will determine whether we cruise with them again.

I'm sure Carnival did their cost-benefit analysis when they did not determine there was a significant problem until AFTER people were re-boarded from Nassau. Seems highly unlikely (although not IMPOSSIBLE) that a fairly new, high-tech ship (isn't this about the best Carnival has to offer??) craps the bed as we were told with no prior indication of problems. It is much more plausible that many more would have bailed on the cruise with the information at Port Canaveral than at Nassau--and AFTER all had re-boarded. Potentially, hundreds could have opted out of the cruise up front.

In typical, short-sighted corporate America, those dollars were easy to estimate. What is not so easy to estimate and has potentially longer term implications is what happens when 90% of 3000 people (or even divide that by 3 for an estimated number of families) tell a half dozen of their friends who tell 3 of their friends how Carnival takes financial advantage of their guests.

Weather and wars are one thing (we missed Cayman and RC's private island stop last year). Mechanical problems rest squarely with the cruise line for making it right- at least financially.

Bob

Unfortunatly..This event will not even begin to shake the tree.

Don't get me wrong,I am not belittling anyones dissapointment,or feelings of entitlement of better compensation.

But.Ships are sailing and sailing full.As stated on many threads here this weekend,prices are rising and they are still full.

Do some Lines do better than others,probably.But if you hope that your indignation will lead to fall off bookings..I don't think so.

Cruising right or wrong..is a risky vacation.

Does anyone remember how the compensation being offered on this incident,compares to what was offered on some of the effected Hurricane sailings this year.I know Royal Offered pretty good to those that had their cruise shortened or cancelled.We missed (re-routed) 2 ports,and of course got nothing.But we did get a cruise,compared to some that got none,

I am truely sorry to all of those who's trip was ruined last week..

I hate to point this out again, but why didn't all those who are compaining take advantage of the cruise guarantee offered by Carnival??? :rolleyes:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Vacation-Guarantee.aspx

vacation_guarantee.gif When it comes to fun, Carnival's got you covered. We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we offer the only money-back guarantee in the cruise industry.

Simply book your "Fun Ship" vacation and sail away:

• If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise experience
  • Notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you may debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call.
  • Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.*

I hate to point this out again, but why didn't all those who are compaining take advantage of the cruise guarantee offered by Carnival??? :rolleyes:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Vacation-Guarantee.aspx

vacation_guarantee.gif When it comes to fun, Carnival's got you covered. We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we offer the only money-back guarantee in the cruise industry.

Simply book your "Fun Ship" vacation and sail away:

• If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise experience
  • Notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you may debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call.
  • Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.*

I think that is their point....They may have...if they had been notifed in time to take advantage of it. Some seem to think that Carnival purposely wait to make the announcement until the vacation guarantee was no longer an option. In other words....after they had disembarked at the first port.

I hate to think that Carnival would do that...but who knows :confused:

I have a feeling the ships records will disclose the truth, and these records will have to be produced if lawsuit's are likely.

It would be huge, if Carnival tried to cover up the fact that they knew before the first port.

How much more of this kind of poor customer service will Carnival get away with? The over booking situations, I thought were the worst cases of not caring about your customers, and now this..

I will answer my own question.....they WILL get away with alot more!!! As long as people book, they dont seem to care if you come back.

I hate to think that Carnival would do that...but who knows :confused:

Isn't it ironic??? Not just Carnival...but all large businesses...the bigger they get and the more money they make, the less customer service you get as a consumer. The only time a consumer gets treated exceptionally well by a company is when the company is struggling....it's the old, "we're #2, so we try harder" situation.

Unfortunatly..This event will not even begin to shake the tree.

Don't get me wrong,I am not belittling anyones dissapointment,or feelings of entitlement of better compensation.

But.Ships are sailing and sailing full.As stated on many threads here this weekend,prices are rising and they are still full.

Do some Lines do better than others,probably.But if you hope that your indignation will lead to fall off bookings..I don't think so.

Cruising right or wrong..is a risky vacation.

Does anyone remember how the compensation being offered on this incident,compares to what was offered on some of the effected Hurricane sailings this year.I know Royal Offered pretty good to those that had their cruise shortened or cancelled.We missed (re-routed) 2 ports,and of course got nothing.But we did get a cruise,compared to some that got none,

I am truely sorry to all of those who's trip was ruined last week..

WEATHER situations are differant then The SHIP breaking down. Why do people keep comparing this situation to missing ports due to hurricanes and other weather related situations. You can not compare the two. Insurance company's treat the two situations entirely differant!

I am not saying they are the same,feel free to read my other post on this..

However,As cruise lines vow to not compensate for loss due to weather,yet some did.I was curious as to what Carnival provided.Thank you so much for allowing me to ask a question.

WEATHER situations are differant then The SHIP breaking down. Why do people keep comparing this situation to missing ports due to hurricanes and other weather related situations. You can not compare the two. Insurance company's treat the two situations entirely differant!

Does it really matter why the even occurred? We can qualify the reasons to our liking all we want, but If you purchased something from CCL with the proviso (contract) language that they don't have to pay you a cent if things such as weather OR mechanical breakdowns occur and then they act in strict adherence to what their contract with you says because one of those things happened, no matter how hurt some feelings got because it happened to "you", I just don't see the beef, by paying your fare and stepping on the ship you accepted the terms AND risk!

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely hope everyone who felt they did not get their moneys worth, gets compensated as they believe they should and I think CCL should have handled it better. I just don't honestly see anything more happening given how everyone has described the event. And although I know some folks are mad and hurt about the breakdown, it seems the conspiracy theories are growing by the minute on this and other similiar postings regarding this voyage.

Yet, whether it was weather or mechanical, things like this OFTEN happen and cannot be planned for by any cruise line. I can only say that for some who have indicated they are swearing off CCL (while urging for a 50% discount on their next CCL cruise in addition to the credit), that might not be the answer. For it seems that some folks want a guarantee or near guarantee of how a cruise line will handle a certain (undefined) situation and that simply will not happen. So, if the risk of things like this happening is unacceptable given the possible outcome(s), maybe vacationing in another manner would be preferable, insurance or no insurance.

Archived