Snorkeling Hawaii....

So, I have gotten a really big mix of answers when I hear about snorkeling Hawaii vs. snorkeling in the Caribbean.

Some people say Hawaii is better and has more fish, but is less colorful and for snorkeling there is less coral.

I have had some people say that they wouldn't got to Hawaii if snorkeling was your primary activity, but that with everything else it has to offer that its a great destination.

Some people say Hawaii is better than anywhere in the Caribbean. Also, I feel that snorkeling experience (have you been to the primo sites in both places?) and particular snorkeling site are so multifaceted that it is hard to get a direct comparison.

So my questions are:

How does Hawaii compare to snorkeling in Belize, Roatan, Bonaire, St. Johns, Cozumel or other premiere Caribbean snorkeling locales?

Where in Hawaii is particularly good? (thinking about Maui or the Big Island)

Can you compare and contrast how the snorkeling experience is different ? i.e. - water temp, shore access, fish variety, color, coral, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experiences - I just need to think about future trips and not about work for a few minutes - so I hope this post doesn't annoy or incite! :)

How does Hawaii compare to snorkeling in Belize, Roatan, Bonaire, St. Johns, Cozumel or other premiere Caribbean snorkeling locales?

IMO the snorkeling is not as good as any of the other places you mentioned . That being said it is still very good on the islands. The top side activities available on the islands more than make up for the snorkeling. Diving is usually one of our top priorities on a vacation but on the islands we enjoy it, it's just not exactly what brought us to this place.

Look at a web sight called http://www.shorediving.com for many places on the islands to dive or snorkel. Lots of reviews of different sights with many opinions of what to expect. Yesterday I did a dive at Kahekili Beach Park (Old Airport Beach). It was a great dive but not the dive of a lifetime. The snorkeling would have been good as there were no real wave action of current problems. Plenty of fish and colorful coral to keep my interest anyway. You can check out my dive pictures at the web sight in my signature (Iwill post pics of this trip this weekend when we get home) to see if you think like the area.

On the Big Island we like Two Steps for a good Dive / Snorkel experience. We only dive the sights but after talking to many people just snorkeling they all were very happy with Two Steps. Not even one person said they didn't like it or were in anyway not happy they went there.

Can you compare and contrast how the snorkeling experience is different ? i.e. - water temp, shore access, fish variety, color, coral, etc.

80* water (pretty much all over the islands) - Both sights mentioned above had very easy access - all the fish on your Hawaiian fish card frequent the sights - coral in very shallow water not in as good of shape as the coral in neck deep or deeper water. People tend to walk on the shallow coral or mess it up in many other ways. Just get in a little deeper water and the coral is great.

Thanks for sharing your experiences - I just need to think about future trips and not about work for a few minutes - so I hope this post doesn't annoy or incite!

For the ones your questions offend - WHO REALLY CARES ANYWAY :D :cool:

You will enjoy the islands and in my opinion doing what you are doing with this board is the key to having a fun filled trip. So little time and so much to see.

• 2 weeks later...
So, I have gotten a really big mix of answers when I hear about snorkeling Hawaii vs. snorkeling in the Caribbean.

Some people say Hawaii is better and has more fish, but is less colorful and for snorkeling there is less coral.

I have had some people say that they wouldn't got to Hawaii if snorkeling was your primary activity, but that with everything else it has to offer that its a great destination.

Some people say Hawaii is better than anywhere in the Caribbean. Also, I feel that snorkeling experience (have you been to the primo sites in both places?) and particular snorkeling site are so multifaceted that it is hard to get a direct comparison.

So my questions are:

Thanks for sharing your experiences - I just need to think about future trips and not about work for a few minutes - so I hope this post doesn't annoy or incite! :)

I would agree that a direct comparison is difficult for many reasons, but we have snorkeled in all of yoru spots listed except Bonaire and here is my 2 cents worth.

Of all the places we have snorkeled, I list Roatan and The Big Island as my two favorite snorkeling spots. They have similarities, but also differences. The Big Island has LOTS of lava rock which is not the same as looking at coral, but creates a unique and lovely backdrop for vibrantly colored fish. Our favorite spot there is the Captain Cook monument. You have to take a boat tour or rent a kayak and paddle yourself out to it. I could spend days there with my face in the water!! Also loved seeing and swimming with the turtles at the Place of Refuge. Rocky shore access, but well worth it. Use extreme caution around any of the lava rock as it will cut you easily!

We also enjoyed the snorkeling in Maui, but it has been a few years. In Maui, ask any dive shop and they give you a map of good snorkel spots...one easy fave was Mile Marker 6 (I think it was 6) where you just pull over and hop in the water...just watch the tides so you don't get caught out and have to get back in at low tide of the coral. Also loved a sailing trip out to Molikini.

I recall the water being comfortable for snorkeling and I have thin Florida blood!;)

In Roatan, we love the West Bay Beach area and Half Moon Bay. Tons of interesting coral and lots of interesting fish. Easy shore access and warm, clear Caribbean water.

At the Captain Cook Monument and on West Bay Beach in Roatan, I would describe both as like swimming in a fantastic aquarium. Lots of fish and great variety. My opinion and recollection is the fish being more vibrantly colored in Hawaii by comparison. More coral in Roatan, some coral but lots of lava rock on the Big Island.

Darn, I think I just need to do more research. I should go back to both and spend some time and then come back and answer your question!! :D

Archived