Safe in Nassau?

DimSum

Hi,

Going on our first cruise to Nassau and the family is thinking about "winging it" in Nassau. Is it safe to walk around Nassau and sightsee on your own? Or should we book a shore excursion?

Also, how good is the shopping in Nassau? How does it compare to Georgetown, Grand Cayman (that was a stop on a previous cruise and we liked the shopping there)? Is the shopping district close to the pier?

Thanks!

Nassau is fine if you stay within the tourist section. I would not suggest venturing out much further; have heard stories about muggings etc. so why chance it. There is plenty to do in the straw market area; shopping, eating, people watching, and you can always go back to the ship. Last year, we spent the whole day shopping, taking short breaks, and love looking around for the best deals. Ate at Senor Frogs and it was quite fun.

Compared to Grand Cayman, the straw market area is much less expensive and you MUST dicker with the sellers.

Hi,

Going on our first cruise to Nassau and the family is thinking about "winging it" in Nassau. Is it safe to walk around Nassau and sightsee on your own? Or should we book a shore excursion?

Also, how good is the shopping in Nassau? How does it compare to Georgetown, Grand Cayman (that was a stop on a previous cruise and we liked the shopping there)? Is the shopping district close to the pier?

Thanks!

Nassau very easy to do on your on. Stay to the right side of the port as this is where all the shopping, restaurants & such are (pretty gritty to the left side of the port).

If your adventurous, take the $1.25 public bus #10 to Cable Beach. Lots of places to stop at along the way and it's an inexpensive option to get to the beach.

You can also opt for a van ride to Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island .. don't know the cost but should not be more than $4 to $5 per person. Obviously, you can also do Atlantis on Paradise Island too.

Nassau does not compare to Grand Cayman (love the Cayman islands) but it's fun for the day.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

I had no trouble in Nassau...but then, I've been told I'm frightening to some people. Dunno why, I'm a pussycat! I even walked...yes, *walked* to Hog Island (aka Paradise Island). That was a mistake, but not on account of any safety issue...it's on account of my bursitis.

We've been to Nassau 4 times now....once to the beach, and just wandering 3 times.

You'll get hassled in the straw market, but it's kind of fun.

The shopping street is also nice to walk down.... totally touristy, and non-threatening...

horse and carriage rides round the town are fun too.

We went off the tourist track to find a pharmacy..... never felt threatened at any time!!

Archived