Quest to Asia 2/19/11 - Vaccinations??

lara68

Sorry, never heard of "Ben's" but the only thing that truly works is Deet and you have to be careful with the prep. of these products some carry way to much Deet and can be toxic. But then again getting bites has even more risk, nothing is ever easy. I am not taking any chances though, Dengue fever is very much a concern where we are going and insect spray is our only line of defense.

Lori

Sorry, never heard of "Ben's" but the only thing that truly works is Deet and you have to be careful with the prep. of these products some carry way to much Deet and can be toxic. But then again getting bites has even more risk, nothing is ever easy. I am not taking any chances though, Dengue fever is very much a concern where we are going and insect spray is our only line of defense.

Lori

Hi Lori,

Are you mostly concerned with Dengue Fever when you go to The River Kwai tour or is it all over Bangkok and Vietnam?

How do you know which Deet products will affect the liver and which will not? Obviously we need to use these products for protection from the mosquitos.

I wear Cooloibar long pants and long sleeved shirts that I spray with Promethrin(spelling???) While I don't look terribly attractive I pretty much avoid the sunburns and the bites.

Thanks for any answers you have for me.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Barbara

I am going to spray a "travel outfit" with permethrin also, and as far as I know "ultrathon" is the only deet inscect repellent that releases the least toxins and last for 12hrs. Sticky stuff, I like the spray 8 hr one, but not as easy to travel with. You can google it and find out about it or call TRAVMED 800-872-8633 they are really helpful.

Good luck and also looking forward to meeting you too.

Lori

I am going to spray a "travel outfit" with permethrin also, and as far as I know "ultrathon" is the only deet inscect repellent that releases the least toxins and last for 12hrs. Sticky stuff, I like the spray 8 hr one, but not as easy to travel with. You can google it and find out about it or call TRAVMED 800-872-8633 they are really helpful.

Good luck and also looking forward to meeting you too.

Lori

Lori,

I am confused ...Aren't you on the cruise with Cindi that departs Jan 8?

Are we on the wrong thread? If you are not on the Jan 8 sailing, then we won't be meeting.

In any case I went to the Travel Doctor today and asked about the Deet Products.

She said that you have to ingest them to really have them affect your internal organs. She seems to think they are all pretty much the same if they have the same % of Deet in them. I will still check the Travmed 800 number.

As for the Permethrin sprayed clothing, I usually do a few daytime "outfits" some socks and a hat.

I bought 2 cans and I will use it till they run dry.( Then, I am done)

I also had to take another Typhoid Shot as they are only good for 2 years.

I'm an infectious disease nurse and going on this cruise in Jan. I have had my hepatitis A vaccine series & Tet. Dip. Pertussis, I will be getting a typhoid vaccine and will take Malaria meds, because we will be doing some side trips in some areas that make me a little nervous. I think the most important thing is the inscect repellent, I will be using Ultrathon a deet prep. that does not absorb in liver and kidneys, it's what the military uses. These countries have a lot of "little insects" that carry all sorts of things (Dengue fever...) and the only line of defense is insect repellent. Hope this helps!

Lori

Lori,

Your recommendations for vaccinations for our 2/19/10 Southeast Asia trip were exactly what our doctor has recommended. Hep A and B (although by the time of the trip we'll only have 2 out of 3 doses for the Hep B), DPT shot, pills for tyhoid and malaria. He also gave us medicication for diarrhea.

Thanks to all of you for your advice..

OMG Cindi......but if your naked I'll be safe, they will be biting you! Also, hepatitis B isn't really a concern, unless you have a body fluid contact and after 2 vaccinations, you are pretty well protected, the last one is a booster effect. Maybe we should all just drink a lot....!

OMG Cindi......but if your naked I'll be safe, they will be biting you! Also, hepatitis B isn't really a concern, unless you have a body fluid contact and after 2 vaccinations, you are pretty well protected, the last one is a booster effect. Maybe we should all just drink a lot....!

Drinking sounds good. I can assure you - once those 'squitoes get a load of me naked - they will be FLYING towards the hills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My weight loss has stalled (inches lost but NO weight) ....I heard Ebola makes you lose weight FAST!!!!!

Archived