November Hurricane

jamarone

Tomas may seem like very little here in the States, but looking at pictures of St.Lucia, it is a disaster. Roads gone, torn up and tossed aside. Trucks, cars, busses crushed under trees, drowned under water, lost under mudslides. The people seem in shock and dont know where to start. It is a poor country with little heavy equipment to clear away the mess.

The roads may be months before they reopen. I am not familiar with the countryside so I dont know if there are alternate routes from place to place, but if you are planning a tour in this country, it may not happen. It is very sad. They need help and I have not heard of any appeals to start helping them.

It is very sad. They need help and I have not heard of any appeals to start helping them.

Has there ever been a "pass the plate" collection done on every cruise ship travelling in the Caribbean. It might be the best way to help these poor people, many of whom are our hosts when we visit their homeland. They will not be able to do it on their own. The country is just too poor.

If we have a collection container at the doorway of the MDR or other main location we might be able (we being all the cruise ships) to collect a considerable amount. The gift would be good for us and appreciated by the recipient.

I would like to see the cruise industry do a matching amount. That way the countries damaged could get rental equipment in a hurry and get things livable again.

A permanent fund could be set up, since we know this will not be the last disaster to strike our favorite resort area. Pictures at http//stormcarib.com

Has there ever been a "pass the plate" collection done on every cruise ship travelling in the Caribbean. It might be the best way to help these poor people, many of whom are our hosts when we visit their homeland. They will not be able to do it on their own. The country is just too poor.

If we have a collection container at the doorway of the MDR or other main location we might be able (we being all the cruise ships) to collect a considerable amount. The gift would be good for us and appreciated by the recipient.

I would like to see the cruise industry do a matching amount. That way the countries damaged could get rental equipment in a hurry and get things livable again.

A permanent fund could be set up, since we know this will not be the last disaster to strike our favorite resort area.

They do in a way if you look at it. Every passenger who gets off the ship and spends money is contributing to their economy. The more money we spend, the more their people will have to recover later. We also pay port charges which go to the government.

It's not that I'm not sympathetic, I just understand how these people count on the cruise ships and the passengers they bring to spend $$$. I prefer to find tours to do outside the cruise ships offerings. I want all my $$$ to go the the local communities.

So next time you are in port and thinking about ways to not spend $$$, remember how much they count on our $$$.

By the way, do a little search and see what all RCCL did for Haiti. What they did for Grand Cayman and Cozmel after hurricane Ivan a few years back. People seem to want to complain if they don't go to the "perfect" island. But these places can't bounce back if the passengers don't keep coming.

I have seen the devistation of hurricanes on Grenada, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. It bring a tear to my eye. I've talked to the drivers in the cabs and buses who say the best thing we can do is come and spend our $$$.

They do in a way if you look at it. Every passenger who gets off the ship and spends money is contributing to their economy. The more money we spend, the more their people will have to recover later. We also pay port charges which go to the government.

It's not that I'm not sympathetic, I just understand how these people count on the cruise ships and the passengers they bring to spend $$$. I prefer to find tours to do outside the cruise ships offerings. I want all my $$$ to go the the local communities.

So next time you are in port and thinking about ways to not spend $$$, remember how much they count on our $$$.

By the way, do a little search and see what all RCCL did for Haiti. What they did for Grand Cayman and Cozmel after hurricane Ivan a few years back. People seem to want to complain if they don't go to the "perfect" island. But these places can't bounce back if the passengers don't keep coming.

I have seen the devistation of hurricanes on Grenada, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. It bring a tear to my eye. I've talked to the drivers in the cabs and buses who say the best thing we can do is come and spend our $$$.

Hey Chessbriar----I'm sure you and I will both help by spending LOTS on money on our cruise!! All kidding aside---great point!!!

That's what I'm wondering this soon after a hurricane - my cruise sails from PR on Saturday (Which is another story as the hurricane will be nearby PR at that point). We will be in St. Lucia next week.

I'm not sure if trying to accommodate a cruise ship at that point will be a nuisance and distraction, or if those in the service industry will want the work/money.

I'm sorry, I must disagree.

Picture your own situation. A regular paycheck goes toward a budget you have predetermined. All of a sudden a storm comes by and the roof is torn off your home. Not just the shingles, the roof. The inside of your house is soaked with the rain that accompanied the wind. Then you find that your car was crushed by a tree falling.

Most of us have insurance to cover these conditions. Those in the islands probably do not. What to do, what to do?

The paycheck (tourist spending) has been spent on the regular budget and now there is no money to spend on repairs. Furthermore, your government does not have the money to repair (or replace) all the roads to get you out of your neighborhood.

Help is needed. If you think that the money you spend for your enjoyment in these islands is enough to correct what nature has just done, you are really very wrong. Look at the pictures that have been posted on stormcarib.com. Picture that in your neighborhood. How long would it take to have it made whole again in your country? How long would it be in the islands? How long before they see any tourist dollars again? They need help beyond your own pleasure visit!

I'm sorry, I must disagree.

Picture your own situation. A regular paycheck goes toward a budget you have predetermined. All of a sudden a storm comes by and the roof is torn off your home. Not just the shingles, the roof. The inside of your house is soaked with the rain that accompanied the wind. Then you find that your car was crushed by a tree falling.

Most of us have insurance to cover these conditions. Those in the islands probably do not. What to do, what to do?

The paycheck (tourist spending) has been spent on the regular budget and now there is no money to spend on repairs. Furthermore, your government does not have the money to repair (or replace) all the roads to get you out of your neighborhood.

Help is needed. If you think that the money you spend for your enjoyment in these islands is enough to correct what nature has just done, you are really very wrong. Look at the pictures that have been posted on stormcarib.com. Picture that in your neighborhood. How long would it take to have it made whole again in your country? How long would it be in the islands? How long before they see any tourist dollars again? They need help beyond your own pleasure visit!

I don't think anyone here is disputing that the islands hit by Tomas need a lot of help logistics-wise and monetary help. I'm not sure where you got that idea?

I think what we're discussing is if the scheduled cruise ships would be a help or a hindrance at this time if they did dock. I'm more than happy to do a shortened tour with Serenity if they can use the business/money. But it the islanders would rather concentrate on rebuilding right now and don't want tourists in the way, I'm fine with that too. Personally, I would love if we had a collection box on the ship and could hand that right over to an agency that is on the ground.

Archived