How early did you receive your cabin assignment?

pgphoto

I just received mine yesterday and am sailing Nov. 19. When I called HAL mid-week last week and asked about my assignment, the person said that they are assigned "0-10 days" before the cruise and that I might need to ask when I checked in at the ship!!!
If you have to wait until you check in at the dock to find out your room number, then what do you do with your luggage & tags? Do you have to have the porter bring your luggage to the check-in line instead of just taking them to wherever they normally take your bags?

We received our cabin assignment 10 days from sailing. We leave on 11-12 in a category D upgraded from a guaranteed category HH. Received an email from HAL about the assignment. We did not take the upsell offer we received approximately a month before the sailing date because the price offered was not satisfactory for the cabin offered. We have received an upgrade each time we have booked a guarantee and most have been in a much better location and category.

If you have to wait until you check in at the dock to find out your room number, then what do you do with your luggage & tags? Do you have to have the porter bring your luggage to the check-in line instead of just taking them to wherever they normally take your bags?
The porter should have a list.

Just got ours Oct 30 for a Nov 12th sailing. Not bad really. One time it was 2 days before sailing. IMHO, the longer it takes to be assigned, you have a greater chance of a little upgrade.;)

This philosophy didn't work for us on our last cruise in Nov. '09 on the Prinsendam. Were assigned two days before sailing, had an M guarantee, received an M cabin. Cabin okay, but awfully small for two people, especially when one of them is quite tall. We did hear that there had been a lot of upsells, for people who had booked much earlier than we did.

We have a VH gty now for Nieuw Amsterdam January 9th.

We booked a VE assigned previously but changed to a VH gty, but I kind of regretted it later. Long story (see another thread I opened) but I decided not to let it ruin my precruise joy. I am hoping for at least a VE as I would like a glass railing + bath.

What are my chances to get bumped from VH gty to VE?

Secretly even hoping for a Suite but chances must be pretty slim for that to happen from a VH gty :)

What happens if a cruise is not full, will they bump up people as much as they can to give a better experience?

I received my cabin assignment today, 11/10, for the 11/21 sailing of the Nieuw Amsterdam. I booked an H guarantee and got a DD on deck 1. A slight upgrade. I'm happy enough. There are some advantages to being on a low deck, in particular, it's easy to get on/off the ship when she's in port.

What are my chances to get bumped from VH gty to VE?
Your chance of an upgrade arte excellent, but it may be just to a VF.

What happens if a cruise is not full, will they bump up people as much as they can to give a better experience?

I believe that's the case.

Archived