Kidneys Failed! Still Goin' Cruising!

zacsmith

When my wife was on PD, we always carried the drugs with us. Remember without them, you would have to leave the ship prior to sailing. Her supplier was Baxter - we had them deliver the fluids, bags, etc. They have the delivery process down to a science. Be proactive and ask questions. If your wife is using a variety of fluid strengths, be sure order enough if each time so that you have some flexibility.

The fluids can just be dumped down the drain each morning.

When my wife was on PD, we always carried the drugs with us. Remember without them, you would have to leave the ship prior to sailing. Her supplier was Baxter - we had them deliver the fluids, bags, etc. They have the delivery process down to a science. Be proactive and ask questions. If your wife is using a variety of fluid strengths, be sure order enough if each time so that you have some flexibility.

The fluids can just be dumped down the drain each morning.

Yep, Baxter is the company she uses too. I'm going to call Carnival's help desk. I want to know how the process works for delivering the supplies to the ship. We have gone on trips before where we called Baxter and had them deliver supplies to a hotel, which works perfect every time. I'm a little worried about the cruise ship since it's not simply drive up, drop off boxes, and away you go. I've heard about having to get there early and go to some secured area and sign papers to drop off a delivery and somehow the stuff gets to your cabin. I just want to make sure we know the process from beginning to end.

We did this on both Princess and HAL, so I expect Carnival will be the same. Baxter will do the delivery and call you when it is done. Have you already notified Carnival and Baxter of your intentions?

DId you have to be present when the guy was unloading the supplies?

DId you have to be present when the guy was unloading the supplies?

No. Again both the lines and Baxter have plenty of experience with this. You will have notified Carnival ahead of time (in writing) and will already coordinated with Baxter. Start this process and keep us posted - I will try to check back frequently.

OK - I checked earlier posts and realize that your cruise will not be until fall - so it is still way early to start with Baxter. Are you using a TA or booking direct?

Edited by jimmy2x

We booked through a travel agent. The TA happened to be a family friend so we went that route. We let them know that we would be having supplies delivered and I think the TA is going to let Carnival know. I am going to call Carnival's special needs people to get detailed exact directions on what to do. I hope it's a seamless process.

I guess my biggest fear is having something go wrong with the delivery either on my end or their end and the supplies not delivered.

I certainly understand your concerns. Do yourself a BIG favor and YOU make sure that all the contacts with the cruise line abut this matter are taken care of. Even though I use a TA, this is the type of matter I handled myself. There will likely by an e-mail address for you to contact. Save and print all replies for your file and take it with you. You will be the person to contact Baxter which should be done several months out. They are very helpful and professional and actually have a couple of ladies assigned to this task.

Again be diligent in your follow-ups and keep copies with you. I learned long ago that a verbal contract is not worth the paper it is written on.

Gary,

I guess my next question would be did you take your prescription meds as a carry on with you or did you check it with your other luggage? We are thinking of just getting a small pill case that lets you separate the pills by day, which will be way more efficient than packing 10 different bottles of pills. Fortunately, we also have the slips for all the prescriptions, so she will probably stuff those in her purse and carry it with.

ALWAYS take your meds with you in your carry on. NEVER put your meds in checked luggage. I had a friend who put his (gout) meds in checked luggage on a trip to New York. His luggage went to LA. He had a gout attack and was so uncomfortable he returned to Mpls. early, after informing the airline to send his bags to Mpls. He got home and his bags went to NY.

The policy with customs is that meds should be in the labelled prescription bottles; however, it is unlikely there would actually be a problem with a day pill case. Be certain to bring one or two extra days supply as delays, etc. can happen. Copies of the prescriptions are a good idea.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. have a great cruise.

Thanks for the information everyone!

I will probably call Carnival this week and just have a little chat with their special needs department and verify the process with them.....make sure we have the process down to a science and all.

I will let you all know what they say about the whole process.

That's interesting about the prescription bottles vs. the day pill divider case. That will be another question I'll ask them. I'm definitely curious to see what Carnival replies with.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
VTSAIL....I'll be interested to see how you do on your cruise with your machine. My DH just started dialysis in late summer and we have now transitioned to home hemo (Nxstage). We have done many cruises and are interested in how traveling with our own dialysis machine will work.

Best of luck and let us know how you do.

Dear Sue -

Did you travel with the NxStage? Did you cruise? If so with what cruise line? Did you link up with other Nxstage users and cruise together or how did you arrange things? Any advice would be appreciated. My husband is stable and doing "short daily" home haemo. We are platinum with Princess but have also cruised with HAL and Celebrity.