Best Swim With Turtles

LS78

Hi all,

I know theres tons of posts about this but Im confusing myself reading them all.

Myself and my husband are cruising with Azura and have a day in port in Barbados. Would love to swim with turtles and would like something not too busy (so wont be doing the ship tour). Reading on here Shasa or Calabaza sound the best. What do you think for what we are looking for?

Thanks

Laura

We just came off the Emerald (Oct 19-29) and had booked the catamaran cruise with Calabaza. Gina (the owner) was a superb host and we had a wonderful time! A wonderful boat, with only 12 guests, a huge lunch, free rum punch (awesome!), beer, 2 snorkel stops ( feeding turtles and a reef) including gear. The guide fed the turtles and they were 6-8 of them inches away from you! Incredible! This was an awesome trip and worth every penny! We would highly recommend Gina and Calabaza tours!

You might have to flip a coin!

We booked Sasha and had 7 on a 12 person cat. Jason took us to the turtles, fed them and we had a bunch of them around. One swam right up to my face and I had to push him aside! We then went to a reef with no one else there and he fed the fish and pointed out a moray for us.

It was only the 3 hour tour, and we had beer, rum punch and soft drinks. He also supplied gear if needed. There was a ladder for off and on the boat. They also have a 5 hour tour with lunch.

It was a great day and we could have all sailed on the cat all day.

We just returned from a 12 passenger cat tour with Silver Moon. It was the high light of the cruise. It is a bit pricey but well worth the money. We had plenty to eat and drink - must try the pina calota. We swam with the turtles and saw ship wrecks. At no time did we feel rushed. Lots of time for sun bathing and enjoying a relaxing fun and stress free day away from the hussle and bussel of crowds.. Enjoy

We stayed in Barbados 3 years ago and we joined Cool Runnings Catarmaran all i can say is WOW! Had a fab day buffet and drinks included and the entertainment was great. A few stops along the way Turtles were amazing. Highly recommend Cool Runnings. We have booked with them again this year =]

• 1 month later...

Shasa all the way! We took their tour this past summer and loved it. The best excursion of our trip! We were able to get to the turtles before the crowd and were able to see about 8 of them for a good 30 minutes. Then the crowd came, so we left! We then went to a man-made reef, which is a lot better than it sounds. We then had a delicious lunch with many drinks to go around. The crew then let us chill on or around the catamaran for awhile. A very exciting, yet still relaxing tour. Worth every penny!

Whichever tour company you choose, if they have a morning trip, I would recommend that one to avoid it being overly crowded. There isn't usually a problem interacting with the turtles as the tour operators bring food that attracts them. When it's busy, the water is very choppy (or at least that was my experience).

It's an amazing experience to be so close to those creatures. It's something I would definitely do again.

Help --- leaving soon -- how/where do you book these independent exursions? from home before I leave or there??? :eek::confused:

It would be best to make your reservations prior to leaving.

Here is Shasa's website: http://www.shasacatamarancruises.com/

Here is Calabaza's website: http://www.calabazasailingcruises.com/

You can also book a tour through the ship.

There may be other companies that you could search for on this board or do a google search. Make sure you allow plenty of time to return to the ship, know where to meet or will they pick up at the pier, etc.

Good Luck!

Just last week we sailed with Silver Moon on their 25 person - it was very nice. Only saw a couple turtles but they were close. The food was good and service was great! Lots of drinks flowing - wine served with lunch - very classy. Right before you get back they bring you fresh cold scented towels to wipe down before you get back to the pier. Now - - if you're looking for a "party boat" - Cool Running was ROCKING when they came in. Silver Moon was more of a classy experience. Depends on what you are looking for!

We were in Barbados on Friday (Dec. 31). We booked snorkel with turtles/shipwreck/beach excursion thru RCI. We were on the Jammin Catamaran and it was awesome. It's a 63 foot vessel and there were about 40-50 people on it. It was not crowded. Those working on it were incredible ... had music playing the whole time but not loud...just to get you into the Barbado mood and new year celebration! Rum punch was great as was the banana bread. 3 1/2 hour tour. They got everyone on front deck as we were heading back to port and had us all dancing to a great song...teaching us the moves and all. Best part of my cruise vacation. Highly recommended!:)

Archived