Cruise Ship Golf Activities

unbelieverguy@msn.com

MaryEm,

I'm an avid golfer myself. I take up a few rounds when in ports. I used the golf simulator before and its quite fun. Check with your cruise line rep. and inquire if they have them. I was excited to hear that there is a golf simulator in the Golden. We sail in April.

John

Played 9 holes plus a par 3 shootout (shoot out was a free promotion) on simulator (they had 2) on recent Caribbean Princess voyage. Very realistic and enjoyable. Also played at Mahogany Run in St. Thomas on this last cruise and also in 2002 off of SS Norway. Both excursions very well run. CP had latest nike sticks and shoes for rent at reasonable prices. I brought my own stuff, but most of the golfers rented. The simulator is not expensive, but the actual golf excursion is at resort level (185), but well worth it.

CP also had mini golf, nicely equipped, but ball wouldnt stay still because of movement of ship.

Richard

We recently cruised the Diamond Princess and if there was anything great to talk about when we came home, it was the golf. My wife and I each took a lesson from the pro who for $50 gave us each a private 50 minute lesson using the simulator and her video system. It was one of the best lessons either of us ever had. She quickly identified a few things we did wrong (it is always something) and 3 easy drills to check the mistakes. We also did a golf excursion in Mazatlan at Estrella Del Mar, a fairly new Robert Trent Jones course in a wannabe real estate development. For $125, we did not get just a round of golf but a day of golf, left the ship at 730, tee off at 9 and on the bus at 3, golf til you drop and virtually no one else on the course. She shotgunned us off 5 or 6 holes and said have fun. She also road around the course and golfed with each group for a hole or 2 again, giving us pointers. If we did not want to golf, we had the run of the beach, the pool, etc. Rentals were $35 for brand new Nike Ignite woods and Slingshot irons. I have paid a lot more for a lot less golf.

Princess golf is apparently not run by Princess but by Elite Golf, a contractor of golf programmes on a number of cruise lines. Our pro was named Kate Dunn and she was encouraging, fun and very knowledgable.

Finally, I would not say that the cruise was not great. It was a typical middle of the road keep everyone happy Princess cruise which seems to be what the masses on this board seem to like--no, to rave about. It was a good holiday made even better by the golf programme and the golf excursion.

I hope this helps.

realproperty,

Its great to hear you and your DW had a great golf experience. As far as the cruise goes...IMHO...I think a cruise is what you make out of it. I've been an avide cruiser for many years and I can honestly say my greatest experiences were the ones that I took the time to make and enjoy. No matter what line I cruise, I always have middle-of-the-road expectations. This way, I could be surprised and not so disappointed. Thanks for the info.

John

Thanks to all for your comments. We are cruising the Caribbean Princess March 26th....hard to believe its coming up so soon.

Hubby and son will be doing the virtual golf I'm sure...I'm still debating.

I just bought new clubs, replacing my 10 year old set - what a difference.

Now I'm just as excited for summer to come to Minnesota as I am for our upcoming cruise. Thanks again.

MaryEm

In addition to the virtual golf, check your Patters each day for things like a putting contest and the "Ryders Cup". They lay out a mini course complete with trees, sand traps, and water hazards on the floor of the atrium. It's a lot of fun (especially in rough seas!) and the awards are "gold, silver and bronze medals" just like the Olympics. If you get a good cruise staff member running it, the commentary "ESPN style" adds to the fun. On our Nov trip on the Star, we saw one fellow haul his Big Berthas into each port for a full day of golf.

I think I'll leave my Ping Eye 2's home this cruise. I only golf one day in port. I try to pick a new port each cruise.

John

I agree. For one round of golf, there is no point schlepping golf clubs especially when for $35, you can try out brand new Nike's. Apparently, Elite's programme is to turf old rental golf sets for current equipment so it is a good deal all round. We golfed in running shoes and just brought golf balls, tees, and a golf glove.

As for your other comment, please don't get me wrong--cruising makes for a very nice holiday but we like lots of variety so we don't limit our holidays to cruises. The more active the holiday, the better. But, and this is not a negative, cruises make for very predictable no surprises holidays. We make the most of our cruise holidays and that is why we take cruises for some holidays. However, for us, they often lack the unexpected experience which can make a good holiday great--A great restaurant, a fantastic hotel, great ski conditions, last minute tickets to a wonderful night of theatre, etc. The golf was a big surprise on the cruise. It was something to really write home about.

Archived