Which trip is better for snokeling?

nschille04

Hello,

My husband and I love to snorkel. Last year we did the eastern Caribbean and were blown away by the beautiful fish.

We are trying to find a southern Caribbean cruise and were wondering which of the following two itineraries are better for snorkeling. Any insight would be appreciated.

Option 1

St Thomas

Dominica

Grenada

Bonaire

Aruba

Option 2

Tortola

Antigua

Barbados

St Lucia

I'll vote for Plan #1

In St Thomas definatly take a snorkeling trip to St John or St James. The snorkeling on St Thomas is poor but bothe St John & St James are world class.

In Dominica I did some OK snorkeling with an Indian River Guide named Martin off the southen coast of Portmouth. But it was just OK.

Grenada is a great Island with Good Snorkling right off the south end of grand anse & morne rouge. But St George is also a great town to wander around and get to know. Don't spend too much time in the harbor get up to the parliment, market square and cathedral.

Bonaire.......Wonderful, World Class!

Aruba was also very good. I reccomend you skip "Baby Beach" nothing but garbage fish eating milkbones. Head to Arashi & Molimok beaches on the North West Shore wade in from the beach and you can easily swim out to the same reefs that the tours bring the cruiseships passangers to.

Enjoy!

Hello,

My husband and I love to snorkel. Last year we did the eastern Caribbean and were blown away by the beautiful fish.

We are trying to find a southern Caribbean cruise and were wondering which of the following two itineraries are better for snorkeling. Any insight would be appreciated.

Option 1

St Thomas

Dominica

Grenada

Bonaire

Aruba

Option 2

Tortola

Antigua

Barbados

St Lucia

Add Bonaire and Aruba to option #2 and it would be perfect! :D

Choose option 1 hands down!

Bonaire has excellent reefs that are easily accessed and marked on shore. The reefs and fish diversity are usually rated #1 in the Caribbean. The whole island and the little island off of Bonaire is surrounded by a marine park and has been protected for many years. Also, the snorkeling sites are so plentiful there is never any crowding.

I will be visiting Bonaire in 7 weeks and can't wait!

Aruba also has great snorkeling and many more wrecks. Aruba is much more populated though.

Here's a website you might find helpful. http://www.diving-bonaire.com/bonaire-snorkeling-sites.html

Also when arrive at Bonaire you can find free maps to all the snorkeling sites. I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

#1, definitely. When you get to Aruba, take the public bus to/from Arashi/Malmok. Do a search on "Arubus" or Aruba bus and you'll find info. The bus station is right across the street from the pier. Some buses go all the way to the northern end, some turn around at Malmok [near, anyway].

At Bonaire, Klein Bonaire is terrific. Just get the water taxi over, head to your left, wade into the water and then drift back to your starting point. No facilities AT ALL there, except someone selling some water/punch, and no shade, either. Fantastic snorkeling, though.

There's a website - can't remember the URL, unfortunately - that has info on snorkeling on Caribbean beaches. I'd guess if you do a search on that topic you'd find it. Or, try the boards for your ports [bonaire has fewer entries and would be easier to search].

Archived