The trip to Xunantunich & carsickness

aztecprincesse

We are seriously looking at visiting Xunantunich on our stop in Belize with my husbands 2 kids. They are 6 and 8 and are sometimes prone to car sickness. We think they would love Xunantunich but the ride there is causing us some concern. 2 hours in a bus...what is the road like? Lots of up and down motion? Lots of left to right swaying? Bumpy? If we decide to do the trip we would give the kids a Gravol and bring a plastic bag...but I just want to see what people who have done the trip have to say about the roads! In Cuba last year the oldest got sick on the bus and needless to say, it was unpleasant for everyone!

My recommendation would be to find something ELSE to do when in Belize. Why would you want to take the chance of ruining these kids trip and having them get sick when there is a good chance they will get "car" sick on a 2hr bus ride? If they do get sick, trust me, they won't enjoy Xunantunich as much as you think! If you, as an adult had that problem, would you go? Doesn't sound fair to the kids. Find something else to do for the kids sake!!

Well tim...as I mentioned in my post...the kids are SOMETIMES prone to carsickness. As in...our trip from the airport to the hotel (in Cuba) was just fine but the trip back to the airport was not. As for being "fair to the kids"...I find that statement to be rude and pointless. As if bringing them on a cruise and then considering the excursions that would be most fun and interesting for them is somehow not being "fair" to them.

Actually - they might get sea sick. Perhaps it's only "fair to them" that we cancel the whole trip too.

Well tim...as I mentioned in my post...the kids are SOMETIMES prone to carsickness. As in...our trip from the airport to the hotel (in Cuba) was just fine but the trip back to the airport was not. As for being "fair to the kids"...I find that statement to be rude and pointless. As if bringing them on a cruise and then considering the excursions that would be most fun and interesting for them is somehow not being "fair" to them.

Actually - they might get sea sick. Perhaps it's only "fair to them" that we cancel the whole trip too.

Easy!! I was not attacking you, just making a statement. I don't know you or how you conduct yourself, that's your business!! You asked a question, I provided an answer on how I felt!! Sorry if you took it wrong. GEEZ!!!:eek:

I grew up on boats and never get car sick but last year in Belize between the tender ride and the 1 hour bus ride to the zoo I was a mess!

If there is any chance of sea/car sickness I would avoid this.

I'm actually even considering not getting off in Belize with my 4 year old this year

I wouldn't consider the road to Xunantunich curvy or twisty, but it is a little bumpy at times (although not too bad and paved). I was on a bus 2 days after having food poisoning and didn't have a problem. However, sometimes buses and vans that are not well ventilated might be bad news for someone with a history of motion sickness. A previous poster mentioned getting carsick on the way to the zoo and that is a same road as that to Xunantunich.

We are seriously looking at visiting Xunantunich on our stop in Belize with my husbands 2 kids. They are 6 and 8 and are sometimes prone to car sickness. We think they would love Xunantunich but the ride there is causing us some concern. 2 hours in a bus...what is the road like? Lots of up and down motion? Lots of left to right swaying? Bumpy? If we decide to do the trip we would give the kids a Gravol and bring a plastic bag...but I just want to see what people who have done the trip have to say about the roads! In Cuba last year the oldest got sick on the bus and needless to say, it was unpleasant for everyone!

DW and I did this last year and it is a long bus ride. The ride wasn't too bad, but there are speed bumps along the way, so it can be bumpy as someone said. Bring the bags just in case, and maybe sit toward the front of the bus, so they can see out the window and look at the road. I know that helped my DW. Xunantunich is pretty neat, so it's worth the trip. Good luck.

Archived