First time in Tortola

Adventures ahead

We've been to many of the islands, and some more than once. Tortola is a new port for us and going to a beach (getting into calm water) is a priority. We don't swim well but take ski belts with us.

For a first-time visit, would people who have been there recommend touring Tortola itself or taking an excursion to either JVD or the Baths?

Going to the Baths should be high on your list of things to do. Take Speedy's ferry (easy walk from the ship) and ask for transport to the Baths with your ticket. You can climb through boulders or just sit under the trees and enjoy the beach. There are bathrooms, lockers, picnic tables under shade trees, and a restaurant there. It is just beautiful there. The taxi driver will tell you what time to meet him at the top of the parking lot so, you will not miss your ships departure. Goggle Speedy's Ferry and they will give you a list of departure times for the ferry. Have fun!!!

We were in Tortola October 23 with Celebrity Millennium. We took the Josh Van Dyke tour run by Tortola Charters. (info@tortolacharters.com). It's a bit less than an hour boat ride. You spend most of the day at a beach on Josh Van Dyke island with the boat anchored in front of the Soggy Dollar Bar. A beautiful setting. Bill, the skipper from Tortola Charters is great. That confirmed what we'd read about Tortola Charters in Cruise Critic posts. Check out their web site.

• 2 weeks later...

Cane Garden Bay on Tortola is beautiful. Taxi to it. The island is pretty, water is the most beautiful i've ever seen.

Also, there are several interesting shops such as Carib. Spice shop in town, walking distance from the port.

The first time, i'd stay on Tortola, and I've visited 4-5 times.

The Baths is a must but JVD is great too!!! Either way use Tortola Charters you won't regret it. Professional and reliable especially when you "have a ship to catch"!!! If you reserve mention my name (Lori Mitchell) I will get a drink on my trip in April. When you book they will send you a PDF of your booking - when you see the professional layout and verbiage - you WILL be confident that you are in the right hands to take an excursion off the island where your ship is docked.

www tortolacharters.com

Thanks for your replies. Made final payment today:).

Still not sure if we should hang in Tortola because it's our first time there (and who knows, maybe the only time) or do a charter to another island (again, may be our only time there).

Will Tortola Charters accept a booking for the two of us (and put us with other people, of course) or would we need to find others on our sailing to form a group ourselves?

If we do an island tour (by taxi), would we still have time to go swimming? We don't want to spend the entire time taking in scenery. Because we don't snorkel and don't swim well, what's a nearby beach like - calm water, sandy bottom?

Yes Tortola Charters will take booking for the two of you. You will be on the boat with others but once you reached the Baths you could be on your own for the time that you are there then get back on the boat (with other people) and head back to your ship. The Baths is all of the scenery and beach time you would need to enjoy beautiful day.

• 1 month later...

This is my first visit to Tortola, and I would like to know how far from where the NCL ships dock is it to the Main Street Post Office in Road Town? I enjoy collecting postage stamps from the different countries that I have traveled in.

Does anyone know if any of the shore excursions offer passengers the opportunity to visit the Main Street Post Office? Are taxis available? Suggestions --

Thanks in advance for your information.

~~~~~ Wanda

Wanda... Nor sure about NCL excursions but I am certain that you can get a taxi no problem at the dock who will take you to post office (assuming that you are visiting on day that post office is open). I am not certain where post office is but sure that you can google it if you have at least partial address and most likely will find PO and dock on google maps. Hope that helps. Lori

Archived