What Do You Do When Your Shoes Hurt?

Kellie Poodle

I don't see it mentioned here, but I LOVE the brand Naturalizer. Super padded, make great shoes of all kinds and usually found on sale. I work on my feet 60-80 hours per week, and these are the "cutest" shoes I go for. Cole Haan is good as well, though not for people with narrow/small feet. I have one pair, but they seem to slip and slide about as they do not come in a size smaller than 6. (I am a 5.5 with very narrow heels as well). As far as the flats go that stay in a bag, they don't have much/any support at all. If you have difficulty going without shoes they won't be much better. I LOVE going barefoot, so I have no problem with them. :)

My Dr. Scholl's fast flats saved my feet last night at a wedding.

I bought a new pair of shoes that I bought a little large because I was between sizes and my insoles didn't fill them up enough to stop me sliding around in them.

Took my flats in their little gold bag and put them on when the dancing started to get me though the night. I saw a couple other ladies with the same idea.

Love this thread! Does anyone have a good brand for someone with a medium toe box and narrow heel? Every time I try on shoes the heel slips off so I usually end up with sandals. I'd like to try something different for a change.

I don't see it mentioned here, but I LOVE the brand Naturalizer. Super padded, make great shoes of all kinds and usually found on sale. I work on my feet 60-80 hours per week, and these are the "cutest" shoes I go for. Cole Haan is good as well, though not for people with narrow/small feet. I have one pair, but they seem to slip and slide about as they do not come in a size smaller than 6. (I am a 5.5 with very narrow heels as well). As far as the flats go that stay in a bag, they don't have much/any support at all. If you have difficulty going without shoes they won't be much better. I LOVE going barefoot, so I have no problem with them. :)

Naturalizer for sure! Also Aerosoles, fashionable but pretty comfortable. And I think both of them carry varying widths.

Love this thread! Does anyone have a good brand for someone with a medium toe box and narrow heel? Every time I try on shoes the heel slips off so I usually end up with sandals. I'd like to try something different for a change.

Generally I put in a heel pad like this to make shoes with a normal width fit my narrow heel:

31012_HeelLiners_l.png

• 2 months later...
Hi fellow cruisers,

I have terrible feet. It is near impossible to find a pair of heels, even low ones, that don't make me want to cry after 30 minutes.

I do like to dress up for formal nights so I wear the shoes that I know will hurt. I have seen little ballerina flats that come in a pretty little sack with a strap and was wondering if anyone has used these.

The ones I have seen are called "Easy Flats" I think.

I've looked at those shoes. Not really that great. Honestly, I stick with my satiny Isotoner ballet slippers. They actually have cushioning and look nice. I keep a pair of "emergency" black ones in my purse. They could also fold into a little bag if you want. I also have a pair in latte which is actually a neutral kind of goldy beige color. I promised not to put my poor DH throught the shoe thing again! You know, where you want to look cute but then can't walk/hobble one more step and then have to buy shoes where you are. Really - it happened in Vegas!

Feet rule. No matter how cute it is not worth pain and suffering of a major plantar faciitis setback. I have just finished 6 weeks of total immobility, 3 cortizone injections and am about to start physical therapy for 6 weeks. Walking at all is a pleasure.

Now I have to take my aircast boot walking cam to Europe for my 3 week river cruise. What do I wear on the other foot? sock and tennis shoe (gray and pretty much matches cast height is about right), LL Bean clog, or black dress shoe (actually a sketchers leather/velvet strap sneaker).

I want to wear a skirt/dress at least some of the time. Do I wear panty hose with the cast or the slightly more comfortable thick athletic sock --doesn't show that much under the cast?

I am determined to make the best of this because the foot does not hurt if it is in the cast. Someday it might be better -- maybe not -- no telling. A warning to all those who are trying to decide if they can force their feet to "look cute". My foot had been doing better and I wore shoes that were less supportive for a 12 day cruise then Christmas parties and then comes January and the extreme treatment I am now in. Wish I could have a do-over and my little silver sandles would stay home.:(

The vast majority of flat or ballerina type shoes simply do not have enough support and cushioning for people with foot problems. I suggest you try Cole Haan for lower-heeled shoes that are attractive. I still add extra arch supports and metatarsal pads, but I can stand around all evening in this brand without pain. Of course, a glass or two of wine always helps too.

the flatter the shoe the better for me...if I could go barefoot, it would be perfect...I did find a pair of Merrell wedge heels that I bought in a larger size and is quite comfortable.

One of the cutest pair of formal shoes I have seen on a cruise was a pair of bedazzled sneakers and a cane cover to match. As she expressed, "if the feet aren't happy, neither am I." She was one of the ones not toppling over when the seas got rough.

My idea of high heels is 1.5". Wobbling around a bobbing ship on 3+" ones doesn't look sexy or smart to my hubby - thank goodness!

;)

Where do you find people who do that sort of thing? How do you look something like that up?

Check with your medical practicioner, or podiatrist. We have a store in our town that makes custom shoes. And, my insurance pays for most of it.

Many of the nice brands offer shoes without the heels. I have had really good luck with Merrell, Born, and Aerosoles.

I get shoes that fit properly and wear them. Seems simple to me. I realize that as a man, I do not regard shoes as fashion statements but if they did not look great - who cares.

DON

Unlike most men, women have more narrow heels. So, if they get shoes to fit their arch, sometimes the heels are too wide.

I am the original "really hard to fit" person because I wear a 6.5 3A shoe. I inherited this not-so-wonderful size from my mother who was one of 4 sisters, all of whom wore the same size shoe. When I was younger the size was not a problem because shoe manufacturers made shoes in this size - not a lot of styles, but basic pumps, flats, loafers, etc. That is not true now. Most manufacturers are not even making shoes in widths (a few are, but they are not doing so in 6.5, most start at 7.5).

Had I known this would come to be, I would have had a foot mold made and had my shoes custom made because the mold process is the most expensive part of the process. Custom made shoes are more expensive than "store-bought", but they always fit perfectly, are comfortable no matter the style, and well worth the money.

So my advice to all of you who are in their 20s/30 and maybe even early 40s, who have really hard to fit feet, is find a shoe cobbler who will make the mold and shoes. You will never be sorry, and your feet will love you:D because they will never hurt again.

Adding padding/orthotics/heel pads/etc. works for a few hours, but your feet have to last forever, and if you can only afford one pair of really good shoes, you will never regret it.

And the best part of all is that [i think] you can do this online now. The cobbler sends you a box with the molding stuff in it and directions to follow.

I have a really hard time with my feet when I'm SOUTH, period. For some reason, no matter how much water I drink, or how many times I have worn a pair of shoes, my feet swell, and I get blisters. Many night, you will find me before dinner, in my cabin, with my feet in the garbage can full of ice water, trying to get the swelling down for my fancy shoes. Now that I have discovered Crocs sandals.... that's all I wear all day.

Archived