Puerto Vallarta no excursion - QuincyToo any insight?

lovevacadays

My niece and I will be in Puerto Vallarta next Spring. We may decide not to do any excursions. QT or anyone else who might want to post: What are some of your favorite things to do on the fly in PV? Also, any particular restaurants or bars that you like? What can you tell me that is beyond the Malecon area that we might want to see? Have ate, shopped, etc in the Malecon but not really done anything in the other areas south of this - Rio Cuale, etc. What's the scoop?

To eat, I would recommend Pipi's for authentic mexican food. If you want a more refined dining exeperience at dinner time, I would also recommend La Palapa, where you can have a gourmet dining experience on the beach under torch light.

La Playa is wonderful dining experience, we have only been for coffee drinks and one dessert and while expensive they were wonderful.

I don't know about Pipi's as NONE of my friends who live there either full or part time eat there as it has a name as a tourist trap. High food and drink prices mind you the margaritas are supposed to be huge.....that said, can get a huge tasty margarita made with a premuim tequila at Cafe Roma's for 30 pesos.

http://www.romamexico.com/

Pipi's does very well but it is not consider a true authentic Mexican dining experience plus I thought the food was more Tex-Mex?? Food which I do love but can get anywhere in the world.

CDM we usually stay close to or in the southside......so I won't be able to help you exploring other others (which are on my to do list )

Jr's site and maps would be a huge asset to you in exploring PV :)

We did grab a bus down to Mismaloya each day, first day went to the PV Zoo, cam back to the highway and walked down the dirt road lined with shopping and stands to the beach area, Barcelo resort was on our right but we crossed the small wooden bridge and hung out at Las Gaviotas restaurant which is the first one the bridge, Chico was our server and we dined, drank and shopped well there. We liked it so much we went back three days in a row...minus the zoo......I was pretty jealous the the attention Mr. QT got from that giraffe just kidding.

Personally I think that would be a perfect cruise day.....bus to the southside then grab the bus to Mismaloya, explore the zoo then beach it.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d933965-r72626173-Vallarta_Zoo-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

Let me know what appeals to you and we can try to plan your PV day. :)

Thanks for the suggestions = QT. I'll share them with my niece and also see what she might have in mind. Cafe Roma looks like fun! Any other restaurant/bars serving Mexican food that you might suggest?

I just discovered your posting on my thread in the RCI section sorry about the long delay :)

We stumbled here for breakfast our last day and LOVED it...friends swoon when they describe their meals......I have to get back and try their mole. This is a winner

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d1526984-Reviews-El_Mole_de_Jovita-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

We discovered this restaurant on Basillo Badillo and loved it :) My TA review is down the page. This restaurant is open early

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d1638966-Reviews-El_Bacalao-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

What time are you in port till??? There is a restaurant about three blocks off the Malecon that is on my have to try next vist,supposed to be awsome food

Casa Melissa open for supper only http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d1384977-Reviews-Casa_Melissa-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

No Way Jose is also on my list of must try list. Friends love it

http://www.nowayjosemx.com/

We love Cafe Roma it is our first and last meal choice when we are down BUT it is not for their great mexican food. ...it's a pizza place ;)

CR is for great service, good pizza and icy cold beer and they do make a wicked margarita. It kinda feels like visting friends....

Thanks for the suggestions = QT. I'll share them with my niece and also see what she might have in mind. Cafe Roma looks like fun! Any other restaurant/bars serving Mexican food that you might suggest?

Try the Cheeky Monkey on the malecon across from the Ladders statue. Margaritas and beer for a dollar and flavored drinks for two dollars. The food isn't bad there although I usually don't eat much while ashore, so I am not well versed on the food.

Try the Cheeky Monkey on the malecon across from the Ladders statue. Margaritas and beer for a dollar and flavored drinks for two dollars. The food isn't bad there although I usually don't eat much while ashore, so I am not well versed on the food.

The food is actually quite good basic pub/bar food......We do go there for the $1.00 Pacificos (the $1.00 margs are not good IMHO sorry Troy)......view and service are to die for. I just thought CHM was looking to get away from the Malecon area.

This would be an ideal spot to sit and have a quick drink to refresh you after strolling the Malecon and needed a pick me up so you can walk over the bridge to the Southside.

Archived