Chankanaab - Best Snorkeling from Shore?

Stacey779

We're thinking of heading over to Chankanaab when we go to Cozumel. Is this the best place in Cozumel for snorkeling that can be done from the beach? We don't want to book an excursion - we just want to head to a beach and snorkel. We have our own gear, so if you have any other suggestions of places we should go please let me know. TIA! :)

Would be a very good option, and it's a great place! We didn't snorkel when we were there because the water was a little too rough that day, but people say very good things about the snorkeling. You go down some rock steps and snorkel from there. We love Chankanaab...very nice place and a quick cab ride:)

Thanks so much for the information and especially the pictures. Wish I was there now! :cool:

Azurewater, I've never been there, but when I checked on their website admission was $19, but they have a $2 off coupon you can print out so it would only be $17. I have no idea how much the cab costs.

Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread, I have been looking for some cheap snorkel trips for Cozumel and this might just fit the bill!

How busy does the beach or reef area get, I am just trying to bear in mind that there will be 5 other ships in port that day, with over 19,000 passengers!:eek:

You might want to look at corona beach,it is just down the beach from Chankanaab.There is no admission fee,and there is good snorkeling from the beach.It has clean facility's and a small restaurant and bar.Do a search on some of the other travel sites...TA..and you will see all good reviews.We have been a couple of times and always enjoyed it.Also this beach doesn't get the cruise ship crowds.

Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread, I have been looking for some cheap snorkel trips for Cozumel and this might just fit the bill!

How busy does the beach or reef area get, I am just trying to bear in mind that there will be 5 other ships in port that day, with over 19,000 passengers!:eek:

We were there earlier this month when there were 5 other ships in port. Not crowded at all and we were at the Dolphin Discovery part. Members of our roll call were further up the beach in the hammocks at the snorkel area and they said also not crowded there.

A lot will likely depend on when you will be there. I can see it more crowded in summer when more families with kids will be there.

I second the call to Corona Beach. That is where we go every visit. Easy entry into the water and the snorkeling is very good. I go to the right a ways and really enjoy it. The chips and salsa are great as well. Then lunch at Poncho's Backyard. Looking forward to it in January!

We were there earlier this month when there were 5 other ships in port. Not crowded at all and we were at the Dolphin Discovery part. Members of our roll call were further up the beach in the hammocks at the snorkel area and they said also not crowded there.

A lot will likely depend on when you will be there. I can see it more crowded in summer when more families with kids will be there.

I am headed to Dolphin Discovery next week. How was the water temperature when you were there?

We were just at Chankanaab and our group loved it...Water was fantastic, tons of fish, there were only 2 ships in port that day so not as busy...We made a small vid if you want to see a bit of the park but we'd recommend for sure

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=705657581&v=app_2392950137#!/video/video.php?v=460991127581

Have a great day if you decide to go there (BTW, the iguana likes hot dogs)

Thanks for the tip about Corona beach. We might check that out instead. Is it easy to get a cab there and (more importantly) back?

Also, and I apologize if I sound ignorant, but is it safe to eat and drink at the beach bars and restaurants around Cozumel? I don't want to get any stomach viruses. I figure most of these places use purified water, correct?

Thanks for the tip about Corona beach. We might check that out instead. Is it easy to get a cab there and (more importantly) back?

Also, and I apologize if I sound ignorant, but is it safe to eat and drink at the beach bars and restaurants around Cozumel? I don't want to get any stomach viruses. I figure most of these places use purified water, correct?

We've been to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel twice recently and had no viral issues. However, neither of us drank any water just things that were bottled or mixed drinks where the ice was diluted in alcohal.

Can somebody tell me approximately how deep the water is where you snorkel at Chankanaab?

Never had a problem before, though I don't eat use the ice. Usually canned cokes. I've only had chips, salsa and guacamole. I go to Pancho's Backyard for lunch. Enjoy.

does anyone know if there is any scuba diving at chanaakub? or anywhere near there?

This might help it shows some of the dive areas. The last three times we docked at the Puerta Maya Pier and. Have Fun!:)

img001.jpg

We were at Chankanaab a few days ago. There's so much to do there! We had a guide walk us through the history part of the park. Statues from different locations around Mexico are along a winding path through beautiful vegetation. A native style house had a woman making native foods to taste. Further along is the crystal clear salt water lagoon. You can look down to see natural rock formations and many colorful fish. Iguanas were sunning on the rocks around the lagoon. We also watched a cute sealion show (free) and then watched some of the dolphins. There is a very nice pool, some of it is in the shade. There is a children's shallow area with walk in sandy beach. Some younger children were snorkeling there. The main snorkeling area runs along a wall with walk down stairs (to reach the water). The area above that is sandy with palm trees and shelters. We found lounge chairs (included) comfortable. There is a lifesaver station (green flag) where you can pick up snorkel vests (required) by leaving either a license or ship card for security. Changing areas with showers are clean and have lockers. The food was reasonably priced and safe to eat. Drinks were very good - better than those on the ship - and also reasonably priced. The cost of our taxi was $22 for six of us from the Carnival dock. There is a taxi stand right outside the park. The office will call a cab if none are available. As previously mentioned, you can print out a coupon from the Chankanaab site to save a couple dollars.

Chankanaab was the favorite place on our cruise. We have been there before. It's just gotten better and better with time.

I forgot to mention how many fish we saw. We had to push our way through schools of them to reach the deeper areas. I was blown away by the number of fish that came right up to my mask. It was the best snorkeling for fish I've seen.

Archived