Jewel of the Seas 8 night review Feb.12th very long..

Shanafan

I have not heard of High Pockets. Can you tell me what this was like? How many people do they take at one time? Do you have a link to a website? Thanks!

We sailed with Captain Kathleen on Highpockets on 2/19 during our Adventure cruise and had a wonderful day! Here is the link to her website: http://pws.prserv.net/sailhighpockets/index.html. There are a maximum of six guests but on our sailing day we were the only couple aboard, along with Kathleen and her first mate for the day, Cathy.

This is from my diary of our 2/6 - 2/13 cruise on the Jewel of the Seas.

Menus: A lot of people have been asking about the menus and choosing. At the end of the week, our waiter knew that I wanted copies of the menus (I had asked to see them so that I could take digital photos of them, but he found me copies of all but Sunday). Personally I think there are great meals every night and I had two or three appetizers per night and twice had two entrees. Several others in our group had two entrees every night and we all had a great time and loved the DR meals, so I would pick it based on day rather than on menu, but here goes:

[ Note: those with * marked after them are ones that either I had and loved or someone in our group had and raved about ]

Daily Alternatives (offered at every meal):

Tagliatelle with Marinara Sauce, Broiled Fillet of Atlantic Cod, Grilled Chicken Breast with Rosemary, Grilled Steak with Herb Butter, Baked potato, mashed potatoes, rich and vegetable of the day

Sunday – Ft Lauderdale (Casual)

We were tired that night and had a nice quick dinner at the Windjammer instead of going to the DR. Didn’t get a copy at the end of the week as the waiter couldn’t find one quickly and he still had work to do that evening.

Monday – Key West (Formal – Captain’s Cocktail Reception)

Appetizers: Grilled Marinated Vegetables, Shrimp Cocktail, Escargots, Lobster

Bisque *, Oxtail Broth *, Chilled Golden Pear Nectar

Salad: Traditional Caesar Salad

Entrees: Tagliatelle, Teriyaki Glazed Salmon, Duck a L’Orange *, Beef Tenderloin, Vegetable Strudel

Tuesday – Cozumel (Smart Casual)

Appetizers: Caprese Salad, Antipasti, Scallop Risotto, Roasted Garlic Soup *, Minestrone, Chilled Strawberry Bisque

Salad: Insalata

Entrees: Rigatoni Pasta, Shrimp Scampi Imperiali *, Chicken Marsala, Lamb Roast *, Eggplant “Melanzane Ripiene”

Wednesday – Costa Maya (Casual)

Appetizers: Tropical Fruit, Seafood Salad *, Spinach Dip *, Shee Crab and Shrimp Bisque *, Ocho Rios Pepperpot Soup, Banarama Soup

Salad: Cedar Key Salad

Entrees: Seafood Penne Pasta, Blackened Tilapia, Jerk Chicken, Veal Parmigiana, Bami Goreng *

Thursday – Grand Cayman (Formal – Lobster Night!)

Appetizers: Sun-Ripened Pineapple Delight, Citrus Cured Salmon, Creamed Wild Mushrooms *, Cream of Asparagus, Onion Soup *, Chilled Roasted Peach Soup

Salad: House Salad

Entrees: Ziti Santa Fe, Lobster and Shrimp Combination *, Rotisserie Chicken, Slow Roasted Aged Prime Rib of Beef *, Grilled Vegetable Stack

Friday – Day at Sea (casual)

Appetizers: Fruit Medley, Shrimp Cocktail, Vegetable Spring Roll, French Lentil and Onion Soup, Chicken Soup Americana *, Chilled Cucumber Soup

Salad: Ensalada del Chef

Entrees: Linguine ala Vongole, Sweet and Sour Mahi Mahi, Roasted Tom Turkey *, NY Strip Steak (the only weak option all week due to being served the day after the wonderful Prime Rib), Indian Vegetable Curry *

Thanks for taking the time to post all that Snoopy! The first night that you didn't have the menu for was the night we had 'Ribeye' which was excellent---more like Prime Rib. I agree, the menus you posted all were good.

We were on the 8 night sailing, and the other two left a bit to be desired. Our server told us they serve the others on both cruises, and obviously there are 2 others that go with the 8 night. When we asked her what night we should book Chops, she told us Caribbean night ( the one with Blackened Tilepia---which for us was night 5 ) and the other was one of the ones for the 8 night sailing. We chose to go on Caribbean night.

The night I had Shrimp Scampi some of our tablemates had Chicken Marsala. It was excellent---from what they said. I think from the other menu one night--when my Hubby got the Cheese Ravioli most at our table ate off the "Alternative Menu" that they have every night.

All in all, the food was good. Some was excellent, some very good and some good. We never sent anything back or asked for something different. That said, we have this same itinerary booked for Thanksgiving, and I certainly wouldn't change it because of a couple of dinner menus that I consider "lacking". It just gives us a good excuse to try Portifinos and of course, to return to Chops!

No problem. Actually, I had written that into my diary file (an MS word file that I kept running on my laptop on the cruise). Now it takes just a minute to cut and paste that. I've ended up posting it in three different threads to answer questions in each.

Hi! Great review. What area of Orient Beach did you go? Could you elaborate a little more on that and would you recommend it?

If you are facing the water---Orient Beach ( where most were completely nude )was to our right just down a bit. You could see all the yellow umbrellas easily from where we were sitting. I would recommend this beach. Although, I don't remember seeing too many kids there---if any. There were a couple little beach bars behind us, and the one directly behind us served food.

The cab driver that brought us also picked us up at the same spot at the time we asked. One funny thing---we had to pay 50 cents to use the bathroom. The only other time I remember doing that was in Aruba. :)

Orient Beach is beautiful. Actually, my Husband would like to go and stay a week in St Maarten. The people of friendly, and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Shanafan,

I was on the same cruise. I agree I was dissappointed with the food. I was on the Voyager last year and thought there was more selection. We took our two sons 15 and 11 and they had a blast. The kids program is wonderful. Too bad you missed the City of Dreams production and the Mo Town singers. I think those were the two best shows of the week. We also enjoyed the Safari Club at night.

I also had a hard time getting pool chairs. On the last Sea day I had to sit by the pool all day. I did get a chair with nothing on it and a lady came and started screaming at me. I did not think it was worth a fight so I let her have it. I can't believe some peoples behavior.

Did you go to the Mix and Mingle reception? I was sorry it was not very well attended but I met some very nice people there. If people register to go then they should make it a point to attend. We were only about 10 people.

I was very impressed with the ship. It was just beautiful.

I also want to make it a point to recommend the Eco kayaking excursion in Antigua. The guides are wonderful and very informative. I think this was our best excursion of the week.

Hi Lisa,

just wondering how you booked with Captian Nautica...is there a website? Was it an all day sailing? Also another question regarding Portofino's/ Chops..when it is a formal night do you have to still dress in formal attire or can we get away with smart casual. Thanks!

Shanafan,

I was on the same cruise. I agree I was dissappointed with the food. I was on the Voyager last year and thought there was more selection. shows of the week. We also enjoyed the Safari Club at night.

Did you go to the Mix and Mingle reception? I was sorry it was not very well attended but I met some very nice people there. If people register to go then they should make it a point to attend. We were only about 10 people.

I was very impressed with the ship. It was just beautiful.

I also want to make it a point to recommend the Eco kayaking excursion in Antigua. The guides are wonderful and very informative. I think this was our best excursion of the week.

I did not go, nor did I sign up for the Mix and Mingle. I know what you mean though---if you say you are gonna show up---show up.

Thanks for the tip for what to do in Antigua. I will look into it for November. Was it thru RCCL, or did you book this on your own?

We had several---actually all the couples with us have cruised before except one gal. We all agreed the food was not as good as on previous cruises. Not that we went hungry by any means....just not up to the usual standards.

Hi Lisa, great information. I was just wondering of the 8 nights other than the caribbean night would you have chosen to go to Portofino's? Also I was wondering if you made it to Maho beach to see the planes landing? Thanks!

I would say day 5 Caribbean night and day 6 are the best nights to go to Chops and Portifinos. Maybe someone can help me remember what else was on the menu day 6----I thought it left alot to be desired. I know they had crab cakes, lobster bisque and Cheese Ravioli. That is all I can remember ( besides the salads.) This menu is only for the 8 night sailing and is not on the 6 night.

We never made it to Maho Beach. Actually, we told our cab driver we wanted to go to Orient Beach and when we got close we told him we wanted to be dropped off at the Sunset Beach Bar. We thought the bar was located on Orient Beach, but it wasn't. He said it was on the other side of the island. Guess I really screwed that one up. LOL

[quote name='JaKetravels']Hi Lisa,
just wondering how you booked with Captian Nautica...is there a website? Was it an all day sailing? Also another question regarding Portofino's/ Chops..when it is a formal night do you have to still dress in formal attire or can we get away with smart casual. Thanks![/QUOTE]
We booked thru RCCL the last time. Looking at my Docs it is $68 per adult and $58 per child. It says it is approx. 4 hours. We really enjoyed it and will do it again when we go in November.

Both Portifinos and Chops are Smart Casual dress every night. I don't think you have to dress formal on formal night. The formal nights are Sunday--the first full sea day, and Friday the other sea day.The first formal night they serve Filet Mignon and the 2nd Lobster tail with Shrimp combo.

[quote name='BobJanice']In St Thomas we did the sail with High Pockets and did receive everything that was promised. When you go to St Thomas I recommend High Pockets..[/QUOTE]

Can anyone tell me more about High Pockets? How many people at one time, do you stop to snorkel and have beach time?

[quote name='Shanafan']Can anyone tell me more about High Pockets? How many people at one time, do you stop to snorkel and have beach time?[/QUOTE]

Highpockets takes a maximum of six people, however, we were the only couple who booked the day we went so it was just the two of us, Captain Kathleen, and her first mate! We went to one snorkel spot at St. John called "Rendevous Cove" and anchored there, although I know she will take you to more than one or a snorkel spot and a beach spot, it all depends on what you want to do. We had a full 6 and a half hour day as it was so it worked out great. After the snorkeling is when she served lunch and then we headed back to St. Thomas.

[quote name='TerriDHair']Highpockets takes a maximum of six people, however, we were the only couple who booked the day we went so it was just the two of us, Captain Kathleen, and her first mate! We went to one snorkel spot at St. John called "Rendevous Cove" and anchored there, although I know she will take you to more than one or a snorkel spot and a beach spot, it all depends on what you want to do. We had a full 6 and a half hour day as it was so it worked out great. After the snorkeling is when she served lunch and then we headed back to St. Thomas.[/QUOTE] Thank you so much! I missed ( don't know how I missed it ) the post where you put the link in for me. Thanks again!

You will love it! If by chance you are bringing a video camera, I have a little tip for you. When you board there will be a projector type thing showing a big sign in the centrum that says "Welcome aboard the Jewel of the Seas." On the last night, they show one that says 'goodbye' in many different languages. It was the last thing I taped on the last night, and a great way to end the video. Just wish I would have had the one from the first day at the beginning of the tape instead of several minutes into it.

Hi Shanafan

Jodi Here!!!

I totally agree about the food in the dining room. Very poor selection 3 of the nights. You and I must have the same preferences. I am also not a fussy eater but the selections were boring at best.
I loved portifinos and would have eaten there each night.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='jodi2227']Hi Shanafan

Jodi Here!!!

I totally agree about the food in the dining room. Very poor selection 3 of the nights. You and I must have the same preferences. I am also not a fussy eater but the selections were boring at best.
I loved portifinos and would have eaten there each night.[/QUOTE]

Somehow I must have missed when you posted this. It was very nice to meet you. It sure was funny how it worked out. We have our flights to go back in November. I know the kids will love this ship. I don't have your e-mail.....I'm on aol with my name infront of my screen name.....

• 6 months later...

Archived