First time on QM2

e_couple

Number one! The Queen Mary 2 is the most stylish ship afloat. No other ship can come close to the ambiance the QM2 offers. That means wear your formal wear. Make sure he is in a tux, and she is in a gown, or somthing that will fit a black tie affair. You'll have three nights that are formal.

Number two! I'm sure you have read many of the bad reviews that have surfaced in the months after the maiden vayage. Please go with an open mind. I was on the Tanden Crossing last April. The QM2 had been in service for about three months. And only the second crossing. I did not have the same experience that the bad pressers had. In fact I fell in love with the Queen Mary 2. What I picked up from passengers who didn't like the QM2 was that fact that they were die hard QE2 fans. To them nothing will come close to the QE2. I think that's where alot of the problems lie. What people don't realize is the QM2 is a very different ship than the QE2.

Some of the experiences I enjoyed while I was aboard QM2.

The planetarium. Sit in the middle if you can. Don't miss this.

On the last night of the crossing it was very foggy. I went to the Commodore Club for a last nightcap. While sitting at the bar , the fog horn(from the original Queen Mary) sounded every couple minutes. That was an experience I never had on a "cruise ship".

Have tea in the Queens Room. Very nice and civilized to enjoy this on a daily basis.

If you don't mind paying an extra $30 per person. Have dinner one evening at Todd English. It was worth the extra money, and a nice break from the very grand Britannia.

While on the subject of the Britannia. If you're dining on the lower level. Make sure you make your grand enterance by walking down the curved staircase at the entrance.

Go and enjoy the shows. Keep an eye on the daily program for the times. The first production show was after dinner, and the second show was "before" dinner. I missed the second one because I assumed it was after dinner.

The daily lectures were a pleasure. Try to make some of these.

But most of all. Go and have a great time. Remember you are on the Queen Mary 2

By the way. I will be getting off the QM2 the same day you are getting on.

Can't wait!! Just two weeks from today

J.P. Evans

We're going on the QM2 Carribean Cruise on 17th March, Has anybody got any tips or reccomendations? This will be our first ever cruise.:)

WE were on the QM2 the week of 2/12. WE were luck to be upgraded to Q5. Fantastic time. Regardless of what catagory you are on you will have the best time of your life. I have been on 10 different cruises,and, I can tell you that you have picked the best ship in the world. Remember, it is longer than our U.S. Air Craft Carriers and taller than the Statue of Liberty.

The ship is beautiful. Loaded with outstanding art work. The theartre productions are as good as any we have seen on Broadway or in Chicago theatre. They have a jazz band in Q32 and an orchestra in the Queen's Room for ball room dancing.

The food is outstanding, the service is fisrt rate, the ship is the best.

Just take your time to soak it all in.

We're going on the QM2 Carribean Cruise on 17th March, Has anybody got any tips or reccomendations? This will be our first ever cruise.:)

Just got off the QM2 on February 26th - my 11th cruise but my first time on the QM2. It was our 2nd Cunard adventure, as we took the crossing on the QE II from Southampton, England to New York City in July 2003. The QM II is beautiful but HUGE. If possible, become familiar with the layout, particularly the location of your stateroom. Our room was way foreward, (Stairway A), The Zone Childrens' Program was way aft (Stairway D) and the Britannia Restaurant midship (Stairway C) so we got lots of exercise. Food was excellent, even in the Kings Court area, with fresh fruits and veggies as well as a variety of different foods. As a vegetarian, I was delighted to learn that veggie burgers are available - but you have to ask for them. There is nothing posted to indicate this is so. Also, it was 3 days before I learned there is a vegetarian menu from which you may order 24 hrs in advance. There are 3 formal nights and you should count on wearing a tuxedo (men) or evening gown (women), though I opted out of a gown one night, wearing instead satin pants and a beaded jacket. The shows are lovely, and the stage a great improvement over the pathetic offerings of the QE II. Photo prices are outrageous and they should be ashamed of it - $27.50 for each photo! I think not. They're even selling frames and folios at inflated prices and it's a shame. In general, shopping was a great disappointment. Frankly, you could do better on the streets of Manhattan. In comparison, I found the shopping on the QE II to be great with a nice selection and decent prices. The QM II's relationship with Harrads has to be only good for Harrods. Our stateroom - no. 6018 (on deck 6) was disappointing as it was a bit tight for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 children). And not enough drawer space or hanging space. It was nice to have cotton robes and slippers to wear around the room, though. If you wish to take them home, the slippers are free but the robes are $50 each. Nice touches are the in-room safe and the refrigerator. I'll try to get some photos on here when I have a chance to load them from my camera to the computer. The sail-away experience is awesome and I urge you to partake. Be outside when the ship takes off - this is not to be missed. Bon Voyage! I know you'll have a great time. :) :)

Archived