Port Canaveral Questions

davesarn

Hi all - Happy Thanksgiving!

I just booked a last minute weekend cruise on Monarch in 2 weeks (12/10 - 13) our of Port Canaveral. Having never departed from this port, I have some questions:

1) I read the port is about 45 min from MCO airport, is this correct? Any suggestions on transportation to the port from Orlando? Is it best to get a shuttle or just rent a car?

2) I'm flying in the night before the cruise. Would you suggest staying in Orlando or a hotel by the port? Specific hotels would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I just booked a last minute weekend cruise on Monarch in 2 weeks (12/10 - 13) our of Port Canaveral. Having never departed from this port, I have some questions:

1) I read the port is about 45 min from MCO airport, is this correct? Any suggestions on transportation to the port from Orlando? Is it best to get a shuttle or just rent a car?

2) I'm flying in the night before the cruise. Would you suggest staying in Orlando or a hotel by the port? Specific hotels would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1. Yes, it is about 45 minutes from the airport.

2. We love the Country Inn and Suites. It is only a couple of minutes from the port and you can see the ships when they come in if you get a room facing the port.

There are a lot of hotels near the port. We live in Florida, so I can't help with transportation from MCO, but it is a nice drive (less than 1 hour) to Port Canaveral. I would definitely recommend staying near the port. A lot of the hotels near the port have shuttles to take you to the ship. We stayed in the Hampton Inn in August and it was nice, less than $100 and had a shuttle and a nice breakfast. Country Inn & Suites and the Raddison are very popular over there.

We Hired a Budget Car from MCO, oneway and left it at Budget depot at Port Canaveral.

Just ensure you book the Car back from Port Canaveral. Budget picked us up from direct from the ship on our return, and took us to their depot for the car rental back to MCO.

Have a great Trip

We've sailed out of PC a few times....rented a car (we used budget) returned it early day of cruise (LONG line to return the car), took shuttle back to hotel and used hotel shuttle to port. Nexxt time we'll return the car the day before.

Another time we used Cocoa Beach Shuttle (http://www.cbshuttle.com/ -- 10% discount if you mention cruise critic) to hotel and then CBShuttle came back and took us to the port the next morning.

We also like Country Inn and Suites, nice hotel. If you don't have a car their shuttle will take you down by the pier in the evening to have a nice dinner (don't recall if there was a charge for this).

We've also stayed at the HI Express in Cocoa Beach. It was OK, but Country Inn was a nicer hotel.

We always do two one-way care rentals from Budget or Avis (because they are located in the airport, and there are discount coupons available online for both - they have locations in Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach and free shuttle to the pier), and stay in Cape Canaveral overnight. Our preferred hotel is Residence inn by Marriot. Country Inn and Suites is in the same area, and gets good reviews too. The Radisson is a block further away, and many people like it, but we avoid it because of mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. You can also stay in hotels in Cocoa Beach, which is just a mile or so further away.

Thanks!

Welcome to coming into Cape Canaveral - if you will click just above my name, you can scroll down and find out all about the hotels, places to eat, places to go etc and also has has great transportation information including rental cars - the hotels and transportation

all have email addresses so that you can drop any of them a note and they are super about getting back to you

good luck and enjoy your cruise - my son and granddaughters are going on the 3rd

Archived