WilliamLawson - Group of 20 coming on Dec 13th - Best Ideas and Deals?

AquariusTx

We have 20 in our group arriving Dec 13th on Carnival and would appreciate you best local advice for our short visit. Best Beach and Merida preferred. What is the best schedule of places to see/do during our short stay? Food/Drink. We are from Texas and visit Mexico a lot so tourist shoppng is not our thing but shopping for some of the local and uncommon items is. Thanks!

Have you looked around at some of the info on this board? I have written a little about the restaurants I like the most here in Merida. Short list:

• Seafood - La Pigua in Merida
  • Homemade pasta and real Italian - Elio al Mare in Progreso
  • Fancy Schmancy - Trotters in Merida
  • Sushi - Miyabi in Merida
  • Yucatecan - La Tradicion in Merida
  • Spanish - El Segoviano in Merida

That's a few. As for shopping, local items that are unique are

• quality hammocks,
  • silver filigree jewelry (not the big bangles - those are from up north and central Mexico),
  • a local liqueur called Xtabentun (think Sambuca made from local honey), embroidered dresses and blouses

There's probably more, but nothing comes to this addled mind this morning.

If you are not shopping or eating, you should see or do one or more of the following:

• visit a Mayan ruin (these guys were looking at stars while the Europeans were were in the dark ages)
  • swim in a cenote and rejuvenate (you will look 10 years younger after swimming in a cenote - OK I am making this up)
  • walk through a market and smell the spices
  • admire the arquitecture in Merida's colonial center. The Spanish were here busy building while North America was still Injun country

As for transportation I would contact Autoprogreso directly and ask if they can have a bus just for you and that will give you so much more freedom to move. Or contact Yucatan Connection and use two of their vans.

Does this help? I mean with 20 people you are not going to want to buy, eat, try, visit the same things so it's a tough call. But this will give you a start.

Have fun planning!

I agree with William. Not likely that all twenty visitors will be interested in the same thing. Some will likely want to just beach it. Others will want to visit Mayan ruins or visit the Spanish colonial city of Merida. Soooo many options for a stop at Progreso.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Depends on your definition of Fish Tacos. Tacos, by definition, are tortillas with ANYTHING inside them.

I would recommend getting a whole fried fish at any one of the beach restaurants; it comes with corn tortillas and you put chunks of the crunchy fish in the tortillas, add some sauce and presto you have yourself a Fish Taco!

Archived