Want private driver/guide in Panama

jcalgal

I have booked a man named Hector Arial Secundo to take our group of 6 to the Discovery Center in Soberania Park and then to guide us through Casco Viejo on Dec.21.

Before I booked him he was very responsive. Called me on the phone etc.

He said he was going to email me a picture of himself and his van. That was over a week ago and I haven't received anything...even though I emailed him twice asking about it. No answer. I called his house yesterday and left a message but he still hasn't called or emailed. I am getting worried about his showing up.

Anyone ever use Hector Panama for tour ? Reviews?

If he doesn't show up at the dock will we be able to find another van w. driver English speaking guide to take us for 6 or 7 hours or will we need to split up and take taxi's ? What should we expect to pay if we get someone at the dock ? I read that the roads get blocked...how about driving to the cana area..Gamboa Resort. It is about 40 min. Is it taking a chance that we could get marooned out there ?

Please help with your responses.

Jcalgal, Your questions raise lots of questions . . . what ship are you on? How long are you in port and which port are you at, Colon or Amador? What is the nature of your group - all adults, multi-gen family, with kids? What is your aversion to taking a ship's tour? How did you find this guy Hector and what do you know about him? How much deposit have you paid? [No deposit, no risk for you. No deposit, if a better deal comes along why should he pick you up?]

There will be cabs at Gamboa Resort; it's a major, very nice resort. Cab should run about $15 to $20 an hour. It's the rain forest and yes, once in a while a road gets blocked, and very rarely there are demonstrations, but a good driver can usually work around all that. The safest, surest way is of course to take a ship's tour. Unfortunately Panamanians aren't always the most reliable folk, nice, but they have a habit of telling you what you want to hear (that's being polite here) which is not always what you need to hear, and of promising stuff and not delivering. There are good independent tour operators with good reviews and history, and Hector may be one of them, but you need to do your homework.

Regards, Richard

Archived