Hopping off and back on the boat (in next port)?

Mississippian

Does anyone know what the rules would be for someone wanting to get off a cruise ship for a couple of days? For example, there are a number of itineraries that stop in Belize City with a stop in Costa Maya a couple of days later.

It would be a lot of fun to hop off the boat, see a few sights, then head to San Pedro for two nights and one full day, followed by a quick water taxi ride to Costa Maya.

Anyone ever heard of this being done? I know on a Med cruise we took some ship's tours left the boat for a couple of days. Can we go it alone?

p.s. Obviously we wouldn't attempt this if bad weather threatened, which would make a port cancellation more likely. And yes, we're willing to take the "risk" involved.

It would probably be fun as long as the Captain doesn't have to change the itinerary. On our first cruise to Cozumel there was a problem with the steering so we didn't get to dock at Calica the very next day. We sailed straight back to Galveston. Then the following year we couldn't tender in Belize because of rough seas. They docked us in Calica instead.

If you try this, be sure to have your passports. They will help alot if you have to fly home.:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
I would talk to the cruise lines before attempting this. If you don't get back on the ship and they think you just missed it then I believe they leave your belongings with the port authority where you are docked.

I don't know how they could possibly do that. There are always people who don't get back onboard until almost immediately before the ship pulls away - I've watched them a bunch of times and I've been one of them a few times, dashing down the pier in Coz (or having one of those bicycle taxis haul my drunk butt to the ship just in time). There's no way they would have time to verify who didn't get back on, make way to their room, pack their stuff & remove it from the ship.

Archived