Southern Caribbean/Snorkle Questions

gullcruiser

We are taking our 5 adult children on a cruise in Feb., and would like to line up a snorkeling trip for all of us. We will be Tortola, Antiqua, St. Lucia and Barbados. Any suggestions? I have read that Silver Moon out of Barbados is good.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

For Antigua the better diving/snorkeling is in the south, which is 1/2 hr from the port. Also the water may be choppy there.

For St Lucia, if you can get a boat that is willing to take you to the pitons, that'll be the best. Dive Fair Helen is one we went with and because we had 6 people (1 diver, me, and 5 snorkelers) we had requested the site Superman's Flight, by the pitons. The boat op agreed. It was great. You can only see the pitons well from boat, not from land. The cruise ship may not go by the pitons either. So with the 5 of you, you could try to ask for such a trip, and see the pitons.

For Barbados, we went to the front of the Sandy Lane's Beach and saw many large turtles. But as far as coral reef, Barbados wasn't much to brag about.

We did the ship excursion to snorkel at Norman Island and Peter Island. The snorkeling was very poor. I would not recommend this tour. Very few fish and there was no coral, just rocks. Check Ports of call for Tortolla and see if others have had better luck with snorkeling.

Archived