Princess Excursion - Yelapa

lovevacadays

On my last cruise to the Mexican Riviera I had booked Yelapa but ended up cancelling it and doing Las Caletas. The reason I cancelled is because there was some sort of notice about having to swim a short way to the shore and getting wet. Anyone know abuout this? Any comments on this excursion?

Thanks

I was just looking at this excursion on the HAL website and it says you have to WADE to get to shore at Majahuitas. Makes sense -- no docks, I suspect :) We are still debating this excursion or heading out on our own. I'm fairly certain there is a dock at Yelapa, but don't quote me - I'm still researching :) Update!!!! Here is a map, and it shows a pier at Yelapa.

edited to add link to map of Yelapa: http://www.yelapa.info/vill.html

I was just looking at this excursion on the HAL website and it says you have to WADE to get to shore at Majahuitas. Makes sense -- no docks, I suspect :) We are still debating this excursion or heading out on our own. I'm fairly certain there is a dock at Yelapa, but don't quote me - I'm still researching :) Update!!!! Here is a map, and it shows a pier at Yelapa.

edited to add link to map of Yelapa: http://www.yelapa.info/vill.html

There is a dock at Yelapa. It is used by the water taxi system and most excursion boats.

I have been on a number of excursions where there isn't dock facilities or the excursion boat's hull requires more water than is available at the dock. Don't read more into "wade ashore" than it really is. The boat they use to shuttle you ashore gets as close as they can, often running the boat to the sand. The difficult part is getting out of the little boat if you have mobility issues. At most, the water will be shin-deep. Not a problem unless you have long pants and $1,000 imported leather sandles on.

Enjoy!

On my last cruise to the Mexican Riviera I had booked Yelapa but ended up cancelling it and doing Las Caletas. The reason I cancelled is because there was some sort of notice about having to swim a short way to the shore and getting wet. Anyone know abuout this? Any comments on this excursion?

Thanks

There's about a half dozen different excursions that can take you to Yelapa. Do you remember what the excursion was called? Who the operator was?

Thanks

I recently went to Yelapa through Carnival, but they use Pegaso as the tour operator. It was part of a Snorkel package.

We took a small tender from the boat to the beach, and were never made to swim, or wade really, unless you count a few inches of water as wading.

btw, Pegaso was GREAT! Our tour guide was named Benjamin, spoke English flawlessly, and the food and drinks were wonderful. Certainly something I would repeat, and have found out you can book them separately.

We were on the Sapphire Princess last week & did this excursion. You board a large catamaran (motorized - not a sailboat) for about a one hour trip to the snorkel site. The water vizibility was only 5 feet and the water temp was a chilly 72 degrees, so we opted to get on the kayaks instead. A lot of folks did snorkel but I don't think there was much to see. People were coming out of the water with blue lips - even with the shorty wetsuits they had on. Lunch was served onboard (sub-type sandwiches, potato salad, fruit). Then a quick 15 minute boat ride to Yelapa. We pulled up to a dock at Yelapa, but were told that we would get picked up down the beach following the hike to the water fall. The walk wasn't too strenuous, but shoes with good traction are recommended. Then we walked to a beach/bar where we had about an hour to sit under cover, in chairs by the beach, or just walk around. There were vendors coming by to sell us jewelry, scarves and pies. Yep - the pie lady had about 8 different variety of pies for sale. The boat crew recommended the banana pie, so we tried that plus a slice of pecan pie. Both were very good. The seas really had kicked up by the time we left. Smaller boats that hold about 12 people were driven up onto the sandy beach, then turned around by the crew and filled up with people. Then they had to time the entry into the surf so we wouldn't all get wet. It was quite a production. One person actually fell out of the boat, but wasn't hurt. This boat crew was hysterical. They had choreographed dance numbers (Singing in the Rain, some Michael Jackson song, etc.) with costumes and props. Definitely not what we were expecting, but was very entertaining. It's possible that they may operate differently based on the seas, but that's what happened with us last week.

There's about a half dozen different excursions that can take you to Yelapa. Do you remember what the excursion was called? Who the operator was?

I'm looking to book the excursion through Princess so not sure who the operator is. If we just have to wade in water similar to what you have to do in a water taxi in Cabo that should be fine. Actually, getting out of that water taxi in Cabo was quite interesting!

Cosmo - thank you for your description.

Archived