Snorkeling: Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

jenjens1023

This will be my first cruise and first ocean snorkeling experience. Should we do it in Grand Cayman or Cozumel? We have more time to fill in Cozumel, but I've heard that Grand Cayman is better. This will be for me, my DH and DD, age almost 14 (she doesn't want people to think she's only 13!)

If I had to choose, I would choose a Sting Ray City excursion in Grand Cayman. With that being said, you can do great snorkeling in Cozumel on your own. I would get my own gear before sailing, and just check out some of the wonderful places that people on this board recommend.

What a great family vacation!

Michelle

I've heard great things about both Nativeway and Captain Marvins. DD is also interested in the butterfly farm But could probably be talked into snorkeling. Maybe we'll just make Cozumel our relaxing/shopping day and just go to a beach. My 74 year old very active mother is also on the trip and will definitely not snorkel. But she's very independent, so being with her all the time is not a big deal. Maybe by the time we get to Grand Cayman (Day 3) she will have met my new and very rich daddy and can explore the island with him!;)

We snorkeled in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman on our recent cruise. I preferred the snorkeling in Grand Cayman. It may have been a reflection of where we were in Cozumel, (went with Eagle Ray to Parasio Reef and Dzul Ha Reef) or the fact that the sun never came out from behind the one cloud in the sky that day.

Nevertheless both were wonderful. (Went on the Buccaneer in GC to Sting ray city, barrier reef and aquarium). The underwater world in both places is incredible. I think even your mother would be able to enjoy the sting ray city stop.

Su

We tried Dzul Ha in Cozumel and I thought it was horrible. Cozumel beaches are very rocky while Caymans has nice sandy beaches. I would definitely pick Grand Cayman for swimming all together. I don't really like any of the beaches we have tried in Cozumel and the water was always cold there too.

Archived