Roatan on your own?

bigindy

Hi! I've been reading the boards but just wanted a current opinion or 2 on the potential for us to just spend the day on our own on the island and really get to experience the beauty.

We're on the Norwegian Jewel arriving Tues., Jan. 4th from 9-5. Everyone seems to be debating the tour guides and curise excursions, but I'd prefer to wing it, if possible. We have our own snorkel gear, love animals and walking.

Any advice, please?

Thanks!!!

We just got back. We also had our own snorkel gear. Took a cab over to Bananarama and spent the day on the beach. For $15 we rented a two-person kayak. Great snorkeling and lots to do. Very pretty place.

What was your one way taxi fare to Bananarama? Where was your ship docked?

Are taxi fares posted anywhere?

There are two ports in Roatan.

We docked at the old port in June 2009. There are tons of drivers there and you can just hire one to take you to beach. Tabyana beach is wonderful. There is a reef about 30 feet off the beach. It's great. At Tabyana, there really isn't a cab area for you to catch a return cab, so I think it would be best for you to make arrangements for that driver to come back for you, or hire him for the day.

At the old port it's secure, so only license tour operators/taxi's can get. So you can be confident that your driver is safe. I think we grabbed a driver for about $25 per person and he drove us around the island and stayed with our stuff at the beach. He took us shopping and down to

The new port, Mahogany Beach (which Carnival built last spring) is fabulous. It has upscale shopping, the chair lift to take you over to their beach (chairs, restaurant, bar, play area for kids, water toy rental, etc.). We stayed at Mahogany Beach on this trip. So,I don't know how the taxi area is from this port.

We love Roatan. It's plush and tropical.

Archived