Water Bottles and Walkie Talkie

backermann

with the walkie talkie thing, motorola is pretty reliable, but with so many people on the ships, good luck finding a free channel. If you can go with the Nextel coast-to-coast phone walkie or something else with A LOT of channels (try 18 plus 40 co-channels). I dont know about the water bottles though

with the walkie talkie thing, motorola is pretty reliable, but with so many people on the ships, good luck finding a free channel. If you can go with the Nextel coast-to-coast phone walkie or something else with A LOT of channels (try 18 plus 40 co-channels). I dont know about the water bottles though

You'd think Nextel would realize the money to be made by putting a PTT microcell on the ships...

They have FRS transceivers available for rental onboard, plus many people bring their own. These are low-powered and overutilized.

The newer GMRS radios are available at Costco, etc. These include all of the FRS channels, plus additional channels which require a $75 FCC license for use in the USA, and so are less common.

Look for the ones that say "22 channels, 99 privacy codes, 10 mile range, rechargeable battery". Expect to pay between $50-$150 for a pair.

I like Platypus bottles. They make an assortment:

http://www.platypushydration.com/bottles_carriers.asp

Great for carrying booze, too.

Sometimes I also have an insulated hydration pack. A different one, but this will give you an idea:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007PCJ4I/qid=1109574952/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl193/103-8869881-4031026?v=glance&n=507846

I fill it with ice first, then water in the space left and have ice water all day long. A side effect is that the taste can vary depending on what the boat ice tastes like when it melts, but it has never caused problems for me. I find this better if you are going to be hiking or on all day trips to ruins and such.

You'd think Nextel would realize the money to be made by putting a PTT microcell on the ships...

They have FRS transceivers available for rental onboard, plus many people bring their own. These are low-powered and overutilized.

The newer GMRS radios are available at Costco, etc. These include all of the FRS channels, plus additional channels which require a $75 FCC license for use in the USA, and so are less common.

Look for the ones that say "22 channels, 99 privacy codes, 10 mile range, rechargeable battery". Expect to pay between $50-$150 for a pair.

And get a pair with earphones, or keep the volume down. There's nothing worse than enjoying lunch, and hearing, BEEP... AWWWK.... SQUAWK... WHERE ARE YOU.... etc from the next table. :mad:

Archived