Another Back 2 Back booking question

baycruiser

While on the first portion of the B2B, can you book the second leg of the B2B if you do it the first day and there is space available? Of course, you may have to switch cabins -- just wondering if this is possible.

Are you still eligible to receive the onboard credit if you do this?

I know there would be fees involved for switching air travel arrangements, but I wonder if RCI either encourages or discourages this practice. It would be a 7 day advance on board booking.

The reason why I ask is that my husband just received a bonus at his job and we leave in a week to go on Explorer (Eastern). He wants to know if we can book a B2B and do the Western on either the same ship or another ship departing Miami the same day we disembark in Miami.

I think I got him really excited about the cruise and now he doesn't want to get off the ship! :)

I would suggest that you immediately call your travel agent or RCCL to determine if there will be space available on your ship for a second week or on another RCCL or Celebrity ship. You should also consider a ship sailing from Fort Lauderdale as well. That being said, I think it would be a mistake to wait to book on board just to get the $100 credit. Personally, I would redo all of my arrangements right away so I was secure in the knowledge that everything was confirmed before the trip started. Knowing that everything is in order would mean more to me than the $100. Another thing to consider is the potential cost of changing your air arrangements. Potentially discounted air fares have advance purchase requirements and as the time frame gets smaller so do the discounts. Changing your air arrangements now might be cheaper than changing them once the cruise has started so the potential $100 credit may be meaningless.

I don't see any reason why your plan wouldn't work. You would have to book as soon as you got on the ship as they stop booking 72 hours prior to the sailing. We have been on cruises where they have offered reduced fares to anyone wishing to stay on for the next cruise. As far as the on-board booking credit, I don't see how they could argue with that. I would talk to both the Loyalty Ambassador and the Purser to see who would give you the best deal. Good luck!

sally r, that is exactly what I wanted to know about! Do you remember the amount of discount they were offering people to stay on another week?

There are definitely cabins available on the Explorer - Western the sailing after our Eastern.

The airfare I'm really not worrying about, because we would only be subject to a $100 fee for changing the return flight date. We paid full fare, not a discount rate.

I was thinking the $100 itinerary change fee would be offset by the $100 onboard booking credit.

Baycruiser, it was a unique situation with the discounts. The ship was doing a transatlantic on the next cruise and was very empty. There were a lot of b2b'ers and they all received free upgrades and any one else that wished to stay on got cabins starting at $50 per day per cabin! We couldn't get the airfare back from Europe so had to go home! I would not expect this deal on the Explorer. I would think that you might get some price break or maybe a nice upgrade.

Go for it! It is a great itinerary for a b2b.

One other suggestion: If you can't do the b2b, spending time in the Keys is fun. We did that after our last Caribbean cruise. We are also Left Coasters so always take advantage of our time on the Right coast. We stayed in Marathon which is the half way point in the keys. We rented a car and visited Key West and all the other tourist stops. Had a very good time. Not the same as a cruise but it was better than going straight home.

Let us know what happens, one way or the other!

Definitely give it a try. You may be surprised at how cheap the second week may be. First let me say that my experience was PRE-9/11, so security may have impacted this, but we did a Panama Canal crossing and were offered a deal to stay onboard for a couple hundred dollars a person! We couldn't take them up on the offer due to work, and it was one of the first times I envied the retired people onboard who were jumping at the deal because the could.

we too are doing the b2b on the explorer on March 6th to 20th. I don't know if I would wait 'til I got to the ship to do this as right now even trying to change to another room is getting extremely tight. there are almost no cabins available now. Good luck

Archived