St Thomas Attractions

spot73

I'm a C5/6 Quad. I'll be in St Thomas on January 19th, 2011. I'm in a power wheel chair and I'd like to explore the islands and beaches. Are there any beaches that I will be able to get near, any viewing places that are nice? Does anyone know if Paradise point by skytrain is accessible and whether I would be able to get around once there. Also if I got a ride up to the top of St Peter's mountain would it too be accessible?

Paradise Point has stairs at the top, so I don't think that's going to work for you.

My dad uses a rolling walker, and he did fine at Magen's Bay. There is a restaurant at the beach, and it has a wheelchair ramp. He was able to enjoy the view of the beach from an outdoor deck at the restaurant while Mom swam in the bay and I walked up and down the beach. The deck is close enough to the water that Mom could keep an eye on him. The only thing I'm not sure of is the restroom facilities. I don't remember there being any problems, though, and we were on a full-day tour with a stop at the beach.

not sure about the specifics of those locations, but both of my parents are in wheelchairs (one scooter, one manual chair) and we hooked up with the president of the taxi cab assoc in st thomas (the dispatcher at the pier can radio him) he has a van with a lift, and will take you wherever you want to go. he will also drop you off and pick you up later if you like. he will give you his cell number etc. he was great!

• 3 weeks later...

James - not sure if you used Malcolm but we used him just after Christmas and he was great.

As far as Paradise Point - one thing I have heard mentioned is having the van take you to the top where there aren't steps and riding it in reverse. Not sure if you have to arrange this in advance - but you might want to call them.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife is a c2 quad that uses a power wheelchair. Our first vacation since her injury is going to be this april on the carnival dream, eastern carribean. What would you suggest for St. Thomas, or St. Maarten shore trips? How did your trip go?

Archived