Help with roatan

elou

I've tried on the port board with no avail. Just wondering if anyone did the boat ride through the mangrove area?

I was in Roatan for a week on a land-based trip. If it is the same mangrove boat tour we did, you head way out to the end of the island to a town called Oak Ridge which is an old town built basically on docks. Instead of roads, they move about using boats through the mangroves. It would be a pretty neat tour. I have no idea how much Princess charges for it, I think it was like $10 per person when we were there, but that did not include transportation to the town.

If it does not cost too much, and it is Oak Ridge you go through, it would be a neat trip.

Here is a video of much of what you can expect:

• 2 weeks later...

I did this tour in January (with RC, but it's probably the same) and this is what I said on another thread about the subject:

We just did a tour that included the mangrove canals & Garifuna village. The Garifuna dance show was neat, but it did look very touristy. Of course, we are tourists...:rolleyes:

The rest of the tour was awful. We drove by the rusted ship and actually I would have liked to stop there to take a pic, because it does look quite interesting. The canoe ride through the mangrove (called "Roatan's Venice" by some clever marketing person) could have been really neat, but the canals are filthy, full of floating plastic bottles, bags, a mattress (!!), all sorts of junk caught up in the mangrove root system. Wildlife consisted of ONE crab and several birds. We didn't stop at the floating bar, just motored down through the canal, once around a lagoon, and back out the same canal. Maybe 15 minutes total. DH and I still quote the man who was sitting in front of us on the bus, who at one point turned to his wife and asked "You paid for this??" :D It was truly one of the poorest excursions we have ever taken.

Archived